Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 09:51 AM

16,447 posts, read 12,638,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So the 2 daughters don't get to eat dinner? Perhaps a better thing for a thinking parent would be to say that "We'll talk about this after dinner". Let the family eat.
Except it's not a real family situation, it's a TV show. And sometimes things have to happen in a way that advances a scene so that we're not encumbered with the minutiae of "real life."

Old 02-03-2022, 11:03 AM

51,231 posts, read 24,698,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Except it's not a real family situation, it's a TV show. And sometimes things have to happen in a way that advances a scene so that we're not encumbered with the minutiae of "real life."
Then I guess there's no sense discussing any of it since it's just a TV show.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Then I guess there's no sense discussing any of it since it's just a TV show.
You're missing the point. Whether or not Tess and Annie ate dinner was not relevant to what was happening in the scene. They aren't going to get hung up on something that has no bearing on the plot.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're missing the point. Whether or not Tess and Annie ate dinner was not relevant to what was happening in the scene. They aren't going to get hung up on something that has no bearing on the plot.
I disagree. We didn't have to watch them finish the meal, anymore than we watch them go to the bathroom. Randall could have said, "The four of us will talk about this after dinner", and then, just as they skipped ahead to the chat on the front stoop, they could have skipped ahead to the 4 adults/young adults having the discussion without the younger girls. Even his wife clearly felt it was just another example of Randall having to have it all his way. And while I would say that Randall is -- overall -- the most responsible adult character on the show, his one main character flaw is always having to have everything his way or risk going into meltdown. It's very easy to say that Randall is right about the overall topic, but what could happen next? Well, Deja could intentionally get pregnant. Deja could run away. These things happen all the time. The "my house, my rules" sometimes results in the child simply leaving.

And, btw, the lack of an adult conversation was disappointing.

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-03-2022 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 12:03 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,068,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
Sending the two younger girls out of the room was the right thing to do. Remember, it was Deja who was manipulating her little sisters before dinner even started. Yeah, Deja and Malik thought they could pull this off because he made them dinner and pie. Manipulation from the get go.
They'd have to be pretty naive to think they could slip their "surprise" past Randall and Beth just because Malik made them dinner and the younger girls were trying to create a distraction.

Anybody who thinks the parents are that dumb should not be getting married at age 17. It shows a lack of respect.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 21,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I participate on another forum where This is Us is a topic and you are not alone in your feelings about Malik.
I just think Malik was an extremely poor casting choice which is unusual for this show . He appears to be around twelve years old ( maybe even
slightly disabled ) and Deja looks almost old enough to be his mother. His being in Harvard is just too unbelievable to ponder .

There is no viable realistic chemistry between these two . They look silly together , actually .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-03-2022, 12:14 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,719,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I just think Malik was an extremely poor casting choice which is unusual for this show . He appears to be around twelve years old ( maybe even
slightly disabled ) and Deja looks almost old enough to be his mother. His being in Harvard is just too unbelievable to ponder .

There is no viable realistic chemistry between these two . They look silly together , actually .
I think he started out okay when they were both in high school. Deja has matured (I believed it's a new actress now) and Malik hasn't changed a bit. I just read his is the nephew of Samira Wiley (Moira on The Handmaid's Tale and Poussey Washington on Orange is the New Black) and I can definitely see the familial resemblance!

Old 02-03-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I disagree. We didn't have to watch them finish the meal, anymore than we watch them go to the bathroom. Randall could have said, "The four of us will talk about this after dinner", and then, just as they skipped ahead to the chat on the front stoop, they could have skipped ahead to the 4 adults/young adults having the discussion without the younger girls.
And the writers decided that continuity and avoiding too much skipping around was more important than whether or not the girls ate their dinner.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

He's 20. And saying he appears disabled is rather...inappropriate.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think he started out okay when they were both in high school. Deja has matured (I believed it's a new actress now) and Malik hasn't changed a bit. I just read his is the nephew of Samira Wiley (Moira on The Handmaid's Tale and Poussey Washington on Orange is the New Black) and I can definitely see the familial resemblance!
No, it's the same actress who has played Deja since season 2 ... Lyric Ross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV