Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 06:40 AM

4,064 posts, read 2,150,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well yes, there are multiple actors for most of the roles, but we were referring to present-day Deja. There has only been one actress.

And actually there have been three actresses to play Deja ... La Trice Harper plays adult Deja.
I see that you are right. Wonder why they couldn’t have just used makeup to age Deja? And I don’t understand why they thought the actress looked too much like the actress who played teen Deja? Isn’t that the idea?

https://heavy.com/entertainment/this...-deja-actress/

Old 02-04-2022, 08:22 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,552,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I see that you are right. Wonder why they couldn’t have just used makeup to age Deja? And I don’t understand why they thought the actress looked too much like the actress who played teen Deja? Isn’t that the idea?

https://heavy.com/entertainment/this...-deja-actress/
They evidently wanted a distinct delineation of the passage of time. They wanted them to look similar enough that it was clear they were the same character, but different enough that they were clearly in different phases of life.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
Here's what I think - I think that Randall and Beth are faced with a difficult situation, and I don't know if there's any right way to handle it honestly. I mean, you have two teenagers who are nearly adults. There's not much controlling anyone can REALLY do. I do think that Randall is a bit too controlling and that Beth tries to offset that by being a bit too soft on the kids, but I really don't see how the parents in this scenario can really change Deja or Malik. The only thing the parents, in my opinion, can try to do is talk logically to Deja and Malik - which is not likely to work but it may. Strong arming them won't work. Enabling them won't work.

I really, really, really don't like the casting for Malik. But oh well.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:08 AM

6,488 posts, read 6,697,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's what I think - I think that Randall and Beth are faced with a difficult situation, and I don't know if there's any right way to handle it honestly. I mean, you have two teenagers who are nearly adults. There's not much controlling anyone can REALLY do. I do think that Randall is a bit too controlling and that Beth tries to offset that by being a bit too soft on the kids, but I really don't see how the parents in this scenario can really change Deja or Malik. The only thing the parents, in my opinion, can try to do is talk logically to Deja and Malik - which is not likely to work but it may. Strong arming them won't work. Enabling them won't work.

I really, really, really don't like the casting for Malik. But oh well.
Agreed, it is a difficult situation. Either extreme (control or leniency) is not what Deja and Malik needs. I think about what I know now about life and relationships compared to what I knew at their age. Life's wisdom is e aptly what any parent should TRY to impart. Deja and Malik may well do whatever they want, but wisdom imparted, even when ignored initially, will be inside them when they are ready to use it.

I don't know if any of that made sense. I have literally never said this to anyone before, as I don't blame my parents for my mistakes. But when I was a 22 year old who rushed into a marriage with someone I'd known only a short time, I have often secretly wished that ANYONE would have said, "Hey Kayanne, you're young, this is happening really fast. Let me share some things I've learned about life with you...."

I may or may not have listened, but I wish I at least had someone else's perspective to consider.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:47 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Agreed, it is a difficult situation. Either extreme (control or leniency) is not what Deja and Malik needs. I think about what I know now about life and relationships compared to what I knew at their age. Life's wisdom is e aptly what any parent should TRY to impart. Deja and Malik may well do whatever they want, but wisdom imparted, even when ignored initially, will be inside them when they are ready to use it.

I don't know if any of that made sense. I have literally never said this to anyone before, as I don't blame my parents for my mistakes. But when I was a 22 year old who rushed into a marriage with someone I'd known only a short time, I have often secretly wished that ANYONE would have said, "Hey Kayanne, you're young, this is happening really fast. Let me share some things I've learned about life with you...."

I may or may not have listened, but I wish I at least had someone else's perspective to consider.
Perhaps the best post on this specific topic.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:32 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Quote:

I'm still married but also did something similar (I was older than 17 though, but not much). In a desparate attempt (as a young girl in love would do), I rushed out of my life to be with my husband. It all worked out in the but sort of derailed my education. I made it work but I have that regret. Watching Deja has me screaming inside "YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THIS!!!" My parents did try to stop me by being "reasonable" about it. I often wished that had been more strong about it because I probably would have listened if they had just looked at me sternly!! lol

Old 02-06-2022, 08:13 AM

186 posts, read 95,335 times
All of the above is well said. I can't stand the Malik casting either. I also never liked Randall. It's always about him. He walks into a room with no regard for anyone else and just starts talking about himself and whatever daily personal crisis he has going about changing the world. It got really old a few seasons ago, but that's just me. I pay no attention or very little. It's my wife's show anyways and I watch with her halfheartedly. I sure like the music written for it though.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:45 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH283 View Post
All of the above is well said. I can't stand the Malik casting either. I also never liked Randall. It's always about him. He walks into a room with no regard for anyone else and just starts talking about himself and whatever daily personal crisis he has going about changing the world. It got really old a few seasons ago, but that's just me. I pay no attention or very little. It's my wife's show anyways and I watch with her halfheartedly. I sure like the music written for it though.
Randall is his own worst enemy.

He has the most noble intentions, but he turns people off, including his own daughters.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
I agree about Malik...very bad casting. He looks too young and too short..he’s just plain funny looking.
Also, I can’t even look at Kate, and I don’t buy that her husband finds her at all attractive.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:07 AM

9,888 posts, read 7,772,507 times
Quote:

That's true for me too, wish someone would have talked with me about obvious issues with my first husband that I refused to see. On the other hand, wish my grandma wouldn't have blocked my mom's relationship with my birth dad, she truly loved him and I never got to know him.

That said, I loved when Randall and Beth were guessing what the dinner was really about. That's what I always did with my teenagers, planned for the worst, lol. Then what they really did/wanted didn't seem so bad and was easier to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.