Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times

Advertisements

I rummaged through my junk closet & found a big box full of vhs tapes, mostly those of classic films that I recorded onto a good vcr from cable years ago. I still have a pretty high end vhs vcr that hasn't been used in years & just last night I bought an Elgato video converter so I can convert those old films/shows/memories/etc to digital storage & view through Kodi or Plex in the future.

Then I guess I'll finally return the tapes back to Blockbuster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I rummaged through my junk closet & found a big box full of vhs tapes, mostly those of classic films that I recorded onto a good vcr from cable years ago. I still have a pretty high end vhs vcr that hasn't been used in years & just last night I bought an Elgato video converter so I can convert those old films/shows/memories/etc to digital storage & view through Kodi or Plex in the future.

Then I guess I'll finally return the tapes back to Blockbuster.
My experience with video converters, of the input and output cable type, over the years has been less than desirable. I would run into such items as the largest a file could be was only 15 minutes long or a lot of page faults with frames being dropped here and there.

I have found essentially that in order to make a good DVD from a VHS, one needs a deck such as a https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg (little bit upset to see that Best Buy no longer carries them.....and now in the overstock market, it is at least $150 more, new, than what it was there).

In a way, it makes sense, in that video is very data intense stuff and one is not likely to make a good conversion using just some wires, a circuit panel, and some software. To make a good conversion, one needs some heavy hardware.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:53 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I had a dvr/vcr for a long time. I think I loaned it to my sil, which probably means its sitting somewhere in her house, or she gave it to someone else. But I have seen them sold on amazon. I may look into it if its vanished and remember not to loan things.

But one of my favorite movies, one of the artsy dramas which don't show up on streaming a lot, I was only able to get on tape. I still have the tape, and copied it to disc, but lost the disc. If its there and functioning, I'd love to get to copy it again except maybe four copies. I also have the version of Gone with the Wind which was released for the 50th. The film was carefully cleaned and all the stuff snipped out over the years added. Its colors are vibrant and it doesn't look at all like a fifty year old movie. But no vcr... I definately would get one if I could find one, or a combo like I had. LOTS of movies really cheap and not digitized on video.
GWTW is available on Amazon for $9.99 in BluRay format.BluRay players are not that expensive if you don't already have one. Most of them will play any DVD format before BluRay.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:58 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
No most of us only knew how to press play, stop, rewind, fast forward, and record. No telling what other things the VCR could do. LOL! Bring back 80's music though!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:03 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
GWTW is available on Amazon for $9.99 in BluRay format.BluRay players are not that expensive if you don't already have one. Most of them will play any DVD format before BluRay.
It's also available for "free" streaming if you belong to Amazon Prime; Netflix has a plan that includes DVD rentals in addition to streaming & you could get the dvd from there.

It's a question to ask oneself - what is the point of "owning" physical copies of things such as films, music, books, magazines, etc., if these are available in digital streaming formats now? Not saying there is a right or wrong answer, just what would be the point of keeping a physical object at home if it is also digitally available.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
I have a collection of films on VCR that I haven't transferred to DVD yet. Some of them wouldn't be transferable anyway, due to copyright. So I keep a VCR player around. Some of them are rare films, or extremely rare documentary material. Priceless.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
........It's a question to ask oneself - what is the point of "owning" physical copies of things such as films, music, books, magazines, etc., if these are available in digital streaming formats now? Not saying there is a right or wrong answer, just what would be the point of keeping a physical object at home if it is also digitally available.
At least two reasons.

First of all, it is only available so long as some power that be believes it is worth the cost of storing it or having the license. The latter is a very vital item these days. Lists like this: https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/lea...-october-2017/ are quite common.

Now, one might say, "Well, who needs those titles after all", but if one rather likes it, well, then it matters.

Secondly, are you sure that what they have in digital format is the version that you like? Consider the circumstances of the 1980 flick "Flash Gordon" and how various versions had things missing: Flash Gordon (1980) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

If they did once, they can do it again.

When it is in your hot little hand, it is kind of hard for them to change it over time.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:28 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have a collection of films on VCR that I haven't transferred to DVD yet. Some of them wouldn't be transferable anyway, due to copyright. So I keep a VCR player around. Some of them are rare films, or extremely rare documentary material. Priceless.
If you're copying to DVD for personal use, then it's not subject to copyright restriction, provided you rightfully own the original copy.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're copying to DVD for personal use, then it's not subject to copyright restriction, provided you rightfully own the original copy.
If it has the copy protection features, one's machine might not know if they do or not. It only knows not to allow a VHS to DVD operation to take place.

NOW, I suppose there may be methods around to bypass such.

Personally, the way I see it is that if my machines can't do it, I stop there. If it isn't in the consumer marketplace as a "common procedure", then it was not meant to be.

That's just me, though.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
At least two reasons.

First of all, it is only available so long as some power that be believes it is worth the cost of storing it or having the license. The latter is a very vital item these days. Lists like this: https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/lea...-october-2017/ are quite common.

Now, one might say, "Well, who needs those titles after all", but if one rather likes it, well, then it matters.

Secondly, are you sure that what they have in digital format is the version that you like? Consider the circumstances of the 1980 flick "Flash Gordon" and how various versions had things missing: Flash Gordon (1980) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

If they did once, they can do it again.

When it is in your hot little hand, it is kind of hard for them to change it over time.
I was thinking of George Lucas not letting Han shoot first in later releases of Star Wars under new formats. And the risk of the US government doing something similar might be lower than in other nations but the risk does exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV