Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yes, but people who are not doctors or nurses do not see any of that...ever, unless it's your personal situation.
Right.

So they could tell a plausible real life story without having to become stupid and hokey and made up and still entertain the audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 05:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Does anyone else think it is odd that there is such a small surgical staff
1 head surgeon--the guy who hates Sean, then Hill Harper who is head of the surgical Dept but does few operations, then the two residents already in place (no year's given) and then the newbie
That must be the smallest surgical staff ever

Again something not very realistic
They are trying to have it both ways--a meaningful hospital worthy of getting legacy gifts would have a larger staff---several surgeons--not just a head and two/three residents...
And where are the surgeons with priviledges to do their work there???

Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Tonight was interesting. I was playing Mexican train dominoes with 3 other people and we started talking about this show. All 4 of us basically like the show, but all 4 of us also thought that there were far too many illogical short cuts that are not at all realistic in the plots.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I don't have cable so my choices are extremely limited. I've been watching this show by default. It's ridiculous. To think a cop would stop traffic so someone could cut into a donor kidney is ridiculous. Totally.

I'll admit I laughed out loud when he went to retrieve the borrowed batteries.
Me too. He took the term borrowing to be literal. To be fair, though, if she said borrow,,,,,,,,,,,and I think IRL she would have replaced them. Given him new ones. I remember thinking it odd to ask a stranger for batteries, until I saw where they went with it. They shall be friends. And we all knew he would feed that cat.

I don't like the way he looks around like he is blind. I didn't care for this epi at all. I liked very few parts. I like that his fellow surgical intern only seeks to understand him, and has full faith and confidence in him regarding medical things.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 AM

28,948 posts, read 30,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I like the USA Good Doctor alot better than the 2013 kdrama Good Doctor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Doctor_(TV_series)

However the main actor Joo Won was amazing in the kdrama series. He really carried off an autistic character in a way that was very believable.

So far the USA version is following along pretty closely to the story line of the Korean version. Sign falling on the kid, amazing Dr. saves him, late for/misses meeting with the board etc.

I don't think the USA autistic Dr. is quite as believable as an autistic but they may have made the USA character a much higher functioning autistic. However the supporting staff in the USA version is SOOOO much better behaved. The ones in the kdrama are so cruel and made it pretty much unwatchable. I couldn't finish out the series with how mean they were to the autistic Dr., always hitting him, talking down to him etc. Hard to imagine how that flew with the kdrama writers. However, even though I couldn't finish it, I did jump to episode 20 to see how it ended. I hope the USA version doesn't continue to track the kdrama storyline.

I'd like to see them try to make use of his special skills rather than trying to make him just like everyone else.

There are many kdramas that would translate well in USA television. I'm surprised that it isn't more common to copy the stories.
for me, and please note, I am not coming down on your opinion, but I really think he is doing a great job as an autistic as my cousin's grand son is autistic, and much like the Good Doctor.

there are different levels of Autism, so...keeping that in mind, I like the way the nurse is trying to find a way closer to him...and she did in last nights show, as she realized, he doesn't like to be questioned, thats why he doesn't answer her, so she is trying to find a way around that to connect with him and she did.

I also like the way they jump into his mind and show what he's thinking, and how his mind is working, and what he visions in his mind...awesome....

Also know that like me, autistic kids can't stand loud noise....

If you've ever watched the movie, the Accountant, he was autistic, but his father trained him to over come the fact, to deal with it, and function in society. Which I found interesting.

Many years ago, I worked with special kids....and it was amazing...they are truly gifted and enlightened children. If only society would allow them to function. I think a lot of times parents stagnate their growth by doing everything for them, instead of teaching them, it takes much patience and repetition....and of course as in anything else, each individual is different...some cases are more severe then others....

I wish our society would take care of it's own, meaning, we'd have more homes for these adult children...where they could learn, and deal with the everyday tasks of dressing themselves, etc.

but I'm getting off track here....I like the premise of this show....b/c it's trying to communicate to it's watchers that autistic children can learn and can lead a productive life as a member of society....

Sometimes I think they're the smart ones and we're the ones with problems.....

Old 10-11-2017, 03:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
for me, and please note, I am not coming down on your opinion, but I really think he is doing a great job as an autistic as my cousin's grand son is autistic, and much like the Good Doctor.

there are different levels of Autism, so...keeping that in mind, I like the way the nurse is trying to find a way closer to him...and she did in last nights show, as she realized, he doesn't like to be questioned, thats why he doesn't answer her, so she is trying to find a way around that to connect with him and she did.

I also like the way they jump into his mind and show what he's thinking, and how his mind is working, and what he visions in his mind...awesome....

Also know that like me, autistic kids can't stand loud noise....

If you've ever watched the movie, the Accountant, he was autistic, but his father trained him to over come the fact, to deal with it, and function in society. Which I found interesting.

Many years ago, I worked with special kids....and it was amazing...they are truly gifted and enlightened children. If only society would allow them to function. I think a lot of times parents stagnate their growth by doing everything for them, instead of teaching them, it takes much patience and repetition....and of course as in anything else, each individual is different...some cases are more severe then others....

I wish our society would take care of it's own, meaning, we'd have more homes for these adult children...where they could learn, and deal with the everyday tasks of dressing themselves, etc.

but I'm getting off track here....I like the premise of this show....b/c it's trying to communicate to it's watchers that autistic children can learn and can lead a productive life as a member of society....

Sometimes I think they're the smart ones and we're the ones with problems.....
The young woman who was with him to retrieve Oliver is another resident ---- not a nurse--and she has more seniority than Sean so technically is his boss---although she does realize he is a genius about some aspects of medicine---
I don' think the slurpee mix would have lasted as long as they made it out since it is more liquid and unless the entire capacity of that organ bin would have been full of it, the air would have caused it to melt and lose its cooling effect--
A combination of the frozen veggies or even better large containers of ice cream with liquid slurpee over it might have been better choice

And how was doing an open-air surgical proceedure any type of sanitary--flys/bugs, dust, airborn pollen--
All of those could have gotten onto that organ...but doing it INSIDE the car would not have had the same visual effect I guess...
And NO CALL to the head surgeon at all either then or with details when they knew the original patient was off the list--
Frankly I don't have high hopes for the new recepient...

Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM

2,106 posts, read 981,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The young woman who was with him to retrieve Oliver is another resident ---- not a nurse--and she has more seniority than Sean so technically is his boss---although she does realize he is a genius about some aspects of medicine---
I don' think the slurpee mix would have lasted as long as they made it out since it is more liquid and unless the entire capacity of that organ bin would have been full of it, the air would have caused it to melt and lose its cooling effect--
A combination of the frozen veggies or even better large containers of ice cream with liquid slurpee over it might have been better choice

And how was doing an open-air surgical proceedure any type of

--flys/bugs, dust, airborn pollen--
All of those could have gotten onto that organ...but doing it INSIDE the car would not have had the same visual effect I guess...
And NO CALL to the head surgeon at all either then or with details when they knew the original patient was off the list--
Frankly I don't have high hopes for the new recepient...

Was interesting too how she realized he couldn't answer questions then put her questions in a different way to get an answer from him.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM

841 posts, read 554,689 times
I enjoyed last night's episode. Nice bits of seeing things unravel a bit at home, more flashbacks of his childhood showing influences beyond his autism, seeing Dr. Glassman get frustrated with him, and also seeing his coworkers include him at the end.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM

2,106 posts, read 981,421 times
I think I'm going to scratch that off my watch list after last night .

Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I think I'm going to scratch that off my watch list after last night .
Same here. I think if they left Sean with quirks it would be fine but for him to have total melt downs and be a doctor no. That doesn't work for me. Maybe he should have been an expert consultant instead of a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV