Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Most of the episode cracked me up.

I haven't expected much in a long time - just there for the characters now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:00 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I had mixed feelings on the song. I mean I enjoyed it and it was sweet, but a part of me wondered if Michael really deserves this level of heart-felt tribute. I mean it felt a bit "To Sir, With Love" and I don't think, even now, he's quite that inspirational of a figure in their lives.

Possibly the show is covertly trying to display Stockholm Syndrome, they've been under his grip so long they're identifying with a tormentor, but I doubt it's going for something that subversive or that being that subversive is any more justified. He's not like a hostage taker, unless you're a pizza boy, any more than he's like a Sidney Poitier character. He's been for years a largely lovable man-child and he's grown into a mostly well-meaning guy who does the best he can. So I can see missing him, but I don't know it felt like maybe too much. Although I did like that the song showed Ryan finally expressing some gratitude to Michael. If anyone should be devoted to Michael it's Ryan. If it weren't for Michael Ryan would be cleaning roads somewhere or working unhappily at a bowling alley, he really owes Michael big time and he rarely seems to treat him as anything other than an embarrassing uncle.

What else. I can see Erin disliking Gabe, but that seemed a bit too much. She sort-of acted like she never liked him. If that's true, and if she only went out with him because she felt she had to as he's her boss (going by the season premiere), than this seems like a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen. I mean sure he didn't think he was making a demand, but I could see arguing that Erin is socially clueless and "people pleasing" enough it was problematic for a superior to ask her out. In fact I think some companies discourages relationships between superiors and subordinates. Still Erin loves the place too much to sue.

Yet I do remember liking the episode. There were some nice callbacks and some of the stuff actually at the Dundies I remember liking.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Yeah...the whole Erin thing seemed kinda sudden.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 AM

They've hinted at them cooling to each other, like in the one where he kept making her watch horror movies she hated and being oblivious to how much she hated them. Still I was just a bit confused about her being like "I don't like him, I don't want to even look at him" rather than say "I don't really like him anymore, but I don't know how to tell him." I think they were maybe going for the second, but the way she acted it was like there wasn't even a memory of any feelings left and he was just this weird guy who annoys her.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Cooling, maybe, but this seemed like outright disgust and loathing.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Yeah I noticed that too and wasn't sure where it came from. I admit I don't find Gabe's character very funny or interesting, but it seems like they just decided they all hate him now without that much explanation. I'm wondering if maybe some fans had the kind of "blah" reaction I had and that's effected how they write the characters views of him.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yeah I noticed that too and wasn't sure where it came from. I admit I don't find Gabe's character very funny or interesting, but it seems like they just decided they all hate him now without that much explanation. I'm wondering if maybe some fans had the kind of "blah" reaction I had and that's effected how they write the characters views of him.
I've always hated him.
It was one of those instant reactions for no reason just to the look of his face. I had the same reaction to Nicole Kidman the very first time I saw her.

Gabe's character really hasn't added anything to the show, anyway.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
My problem was it just didn't seem in character for Erin to say things like that in such a public place. I could see her saying she had to break up and then getting embarrassed and running off the stage, but having her continue on with such cutting remarks seemed out of character.

The same goes for Will Ferrell's solo during the song. Out of character. They spend the whole show showing how he has severe stage fright--to the point of vomiting--and suddenly he's not afraid to sing a solo in front of the same people? Not buying it.

Also... what was the point behind the long scene where he wanted to go to the bathroom? They spent a long time on that but it didn't seem to go anywhere or add anything to the plot. If they were going to go out of character with the solo, they could have shown him doing something in the bathroom to give him the courage to do it. At least that would have given the whole "need to go to the bathroom" joke a point.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Although I did like that the song showed Ryan finally expressing some gratitude to Michael. If anyone should be devoted to Michael it's Ryan. If it weren't for Michael Ryan would be cleaning roads somewhere or working unhappily at a bowling alley, he really owes Michael big time and he rarely seems to treat him as anything other than an embarrassing uncle.
To be fair, during the 1st three seasons Michael didn't treat Ryan that well. Remember "The Fire" where he said "I would definitely have sex with Ryan"? Would you take kindly to your boss saying I wanna you, basically? Also he gave Ryan all that grunt work like cleaning out his car and being his slave while he burned his foot (he even wanted ryan to pick him up while he was doing #2 in the bathroom.)

While Michael really stuck himself out for Ryan on a couple of occasions, Michael isn't exactly an angel. I kind of think they are kinda close to even.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Oh that's true about how Michael treated Ryan. It's a good point. And I guess one could feel a temp job that he had seven years ago isn't that much to be grateful toward. Still I guess I just feel the things Michael did for him the last few years should count for more to him than they normally seem to or that if he'd rather be working in say a bowling alley (than being a temp for a guy who's acted borderline homoerotic to him) that's what he should do. He's kind of a weirdly written character for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV