Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
(Oh and it just hit me, nuala, you may actually know who Kevin Quain is!).
Nope, didn't know who he was... looked him up, very very interesting... Free concerts in Toronto??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You can google it and find a lot of reasons why it might not be worth the time and/or the money to call in, text in, etc.

But the phone companies probably love it.
so - inquiring minds want to know - how the heck do we know who the winner really is if the votes aren't getting counted? Is this proof positive that the whole thing is fixed and maybe by forces other than the judges - who don't apparently even have a way to buy a clue?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 PM

“I am theatrical,” Lambert said in a phone interview. “In the current pop scene, lots of performers are going in that direction, more theatrical in appearance, in camp value. So I don’t consider it derogatory at all.”

Lambert, 27, grew up in Rancho Peñasquitos. He moved here from Indiana with his parents when he was 1 and attended Deer Canyon Elementary School, Mesa Verde Middle School in Poway and Mt. Carmel High School, where he was in theater, choir and jazz band. He has one sibling, a younger brother.

He said he’s wanted to be an entertainer since he was 10. He took private voice lessons and appeared in musicals – “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” “Grease,” “Chess” – at the Starlight, the Lyceum and other local venues.
His voice coach, Lynne Broyles, and Alex Urban, artistic director of the Children’s Theatre Network (now MET2) were influential mentors, convincing him he had talent, Lambert said.

After high school, he moved to Orange County for college – and lasted about five weeks. “I just decided that what I really wanted to do was try to work in the real entertainment world,” he said. “Life is all about taking risks to get what you want.”
He moved to Los Angeles and did the starving artist thing – cruddy apartments, cruddier paychecks – and landed an understudy spot as Fiyero in the cast of “Wicked.”

In the last couple of years, he said, “I’ve been branching out, doing my own music.” He was in a rock band, did session work, “and it’s just been kind of a natural progression. I know now that I want to make it in the recording industry.”

“Idol,” of course, is a rocket ride to making it like no other. The show draws millions of TV viewers each week, and by the end of the season the top contestants are household names – no small thing when it comes to selling records and concert tickets.

Lambert said he’s been watching the show, now in its eighth season, since it started. “But I never really pictured myself on it.” Friends from “Wicked” pushed him to try out.

Adam Lambert Interview With Sign on San Diego // Joe’s Place Blog (http://www.joesplaceblog.com/2009/02/adam-lambert-interview-with-sign-on-san-diego/ - broken link)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Q: How has your "Idol" experience compared with your musical-theater experience?

A: You have to be on your game with the theater world. You have to be ready to go at any moment. I mean, this machine is turning real fast. So I think theater has definitely trained me to sing under any condition and just go at the drop of a hat. I think in certain ways, there are certain elements of the theater training that could be detrimental to the "Idol" experience, because that's not really the sound I'm going for — I'm not going for a Broadway sound. But the cool thing is that this is finally allowing me to be myself. I mean, I don't listen to show tunes in my spare time, I can assure you. ... The musical thing was kind of the way that I was paying the bills. I mean, we all gotta have a job right? [Laughs.] But now I get to finally sing the kind of music I like to listen to.

Q: Are you hoping "Idol" does a Broadway theme week this year?

A: No, I hope they don't. Not because I have anything against it, I just don't see myself doing that as a recording artist in that way.

Q: Whose music career would you most like to emulate?

A: I think David Bowie has been a really, really, really, really cool artist, just considering that he's reinvented himself. He took a ton of risks, both visually, lyrically and musically. Obviously, vocally we are very different, but I think that along those other lines, we have some similarities, and someone like that is a great model for me.

Adam Lambert Hopes There Isn't A Broadway Theme Week - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

Old 05-07-2009, 04:11 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
\
Please don't think you speak for all women. Some of us don't give a fig about anyones sexuality but our own and our partners. Truly. Adam is beautiful and amazingly gifted. There is nothing "trendy" about it. Why are people expected to declare if they are gay? Do you go around introducing yourself as "Hi, I'm (insert name here) and I'm straight?
Right on girlfriend, I guess I have been trendy since...

YouTube - Elton John and Cher - Bennie and the Jets

Old 05-07-2009, 04:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
OK - I need to weigh in as a certified Cougar. (my ex is 14 yrs younger...) And I'm now on the leading edge of my 50's... I don't care about someone's label unless it's shoved in my face. I was THERE for Elvis -- saw him in Hawaii for his famous Hawaii concert. And watching him both on stage and in the movies, the hair on your neck stood up. The guy was oozing charisma. One look and you'd melt. I think Adam is trying to do that with some of those weird looks he gives the camera.

But, sorry, kids. Adam is NO ELVIS. That being said, he is talented, he knows he's on a steep learning curve, and he's willing to do the work to get where he wants to go. I like him for that. I don't like the screaming, and I think he interjects it gratuitously from time to time, because he can. Sort of like Mariah Carey, the way she'll do a high note just to show off.

He may or may not win. Tweenies are fickle little things - I've raised a few teenage girls. They could all wake up tomorrow and simultaneously, through osmosis, decide as a demographic that Adam is "icky" - or Danny is - or Kris is. There is NO clear winner right now, unless Group 19 holds all the cards and voting is a sham . But Adam has already reached his goal: we are having this conversation, you are downloading, he is all over YouTube. If he threw a hissy fit tonight and walked off the show, he'd still be on his way to incredible record sales and a very good career -- mostly on Broadway. He's a winner no matter what!

IMHO right now, it's anyone's guess. And that's the way the producers like it. Without suspense, we'd be off doing something else. Instead of chatting for 214 pages about three people we don't know and 4 judges we aren't sure we like.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I don't know. This season? Who knows? Maybe it's 100% legit. But if I was gonna go bragging about calling 100 or 1000 votes in, it would behoove me to check it out.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
And watching him both on stage and in the movies, the hair on your neck stood up. The guy was oozing charisma. One look and you'd melt.
...and that's exactly what I'm experiencing with Adam. You don't? That's cool. Not everyone was in love with early Elvis, neither.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
[quote=MooksterL1;8699412]
Quote:
Awwwwwwww. I like it! Cougar Cub!
I want to be part of that Cougar Club...and don't forget the Cougar Candy.

[quote=shannon94;8700819]
Quote:
Oh boy....no ones bashing Taylor...I just don't think he has made as much $ for them as other idols have..... he had the lowest selling debut album....thats what I meant by fiasco.
I was so sad that year when Taylor won over Katherine. I think she had the better voice, but he was more popular and had a better stage presence.

[quote=R_Cowgirl;8702567]
Quote:
so - inquiring minds want to know - how the heck do we know who the winner really is if the votes aren't getting counted? Is this proof positive that the whole thing is fixed and maybe by forces other than the judges - who don't apparently even have a way to buy a clue?
Did I miss something. The votes aren't getting counted? I will be upset since I voted 100 time for Adam and 25 for Allison the other night. That takes a long time lol

[quote=RedSoxFanGoingWest;8696233]
Quote:
Adam may be better off not winning. He may be stifled by the AI producers and turn off some of his avid fans (like you!)
He would never turn me off, no matter what happens. I will buy whatever type of music he puts out. He will win. I can't imagine it any other way.

[quote=nuala;8696280]
Quote:
AI will not shoot themselves in the foot. By making anyone other than Adam a winner, they know the will get a backlash and loss of viewers/revenues in future.
I am not sure if they can make him win but if he doesn't there is something very very wrong with the voting.

[quote=tigerlily;8696506]
Quote:
From the expression on Simon's face last night, I don't think he was pleased when Allyson was voted off.
Yeah I saw that. He didn't look happy at all. I know I was shocked that she was voted off. After that happened it made me come to the realization that Danny might be in the final with Adam. He will sing circles around Danny. Allison would of been more evenly matched.

[quote=R_Cowgirl;8696724]
Quote:
I just had a deja vu shudder... what if Tatiana had made it this far... YIKES! LOL
Scary very scary. That seems so long ago. She will probably have some show in the future.

Quote:
Quote:
Your wish is my command and yes guyliner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mercy.
Yes guyliner!

[quote=nuala;8697836]
Quote:
Adam have mercy!! Why are you turning me into a teenager??? Why do I feel like running and buying this magazine ???
Yeah a cougar age wise, but teenager mentally. Can we do this...is it ok with having a DH or a SO.....what the heck is wrong with me lol

[quote=Granny Sue;8697854]
Quote:
Ahhhh...but usually what the judges pick is the exact right song for them....remember Katherine McFee's Over the Rainbow? Simon picked it.
Yes that was amazing. She was breathtaking in that song! Favorite song of that season 5. Perfect choice for her.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
...and that's exactly what I'm experiencing with Adam. You don't? That's cool. Not everyone was in love with early Elvis, neither.
I'm there with ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV