Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM

118 posts, read 218,355 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here is the Cliff notes version, I am moving back to Tyler to be closer to my mother. After a lot of conversations and blah blah blahs... She is too happy there to pack up and move closer to one of her children that are spread out around Texas. Although, she is getting to the point of needing some assistance from time to time and has a few medical issues. Her happiness means the world to me, so I have made the decision to move back after being gone for more then a decade. Tyler is not really "home" for me, I only lived there for about three years with my parents before I moved off.

I have lived in Dallas (current), Houston, Austin and San Antonio. So needless to say... I am used to a very eclectic and metro environment. I am not going to say that I NEED that "big city living" because I can have that with a hotel room and a visit anytime. I live a fairly normal life of a single woman who likes to wine and dine as my nightlife and I am comfortable with the options that Tyler offers. I come to Tyler several times a year.... So that is really not a concern for me and know the growth that Tyler has seen (and it is amazing). If I need anything more (something a tad more Big City), again... Dallas is not that far away!

What does concern me some? My single/dating life. And Dallas is just a tad too far for that! haha. A little bit of the job market concerns me but not all that much! Not nearly as much as seeing my dating life zero out!

So, I have googled for a while now, and I am not seeing much in regards to Tyler single life. One meetup.com group. Nothing more than that. And please do not mention Green Acres Baptist Church Singles Mingles. I want secular. Very secular!!!! Are there more people like me?

So, I am putting some feelers out there. I am thinking of creating website targeted to Singles who have the city flare to them.

Match.com has shown me that the singles I am targeting are not online... And please do not tell me that they are not there!!! That is what is freaking me out some.

Personally, I am trying to avoid (just due to preference) the men who hunt, fish, put God above all else, wear baseball caps, dressing up is a pair of starched wranglers with a white seam down the middle and their best camo long sleeved shirt, those lookin' for a god-fearing woman, those who drink Pearl bear out of the can, men with buzz cuts, men with handlebar mustaches... Oh boy, the list is growing as I think of them. Again, this is what I have looked around and observed, also what a simple search on Match has shown me.

So, here goes...

Does Tyler have men and women who meet the following:

30-55
Metro
Traveled
Educated (Bachelors or higher)
Secular (quote the cliche "Spiritual but not religious" or even Agnostic)
Bachelor/ Bachelorette who are independent yet enjoy companionship
City Boy/girl who appreciates the outdoors
Independent thinkers
Cultural
Dress to impress (and I am coming from Dallas so that is hard to compete, I know)
Those who take a little more "casual/go with the flow" style of dating vs seeking only (sometimes forcing) soulmates, commitment and marriage.

I think you are getting the picture. Are they there? I have been thinking of creating a website (free) which will hopefully market to this particular group. We would host activities concentrated on house parties, Wine/scotch tastings, weekend getwaways, network amongst single to find common interests/activities (i.e. cycling or moutainbiking, hiking, antiquing... ).

Anyway, I am trying to get some feedback to see if my idea will work. You can either comment here (and I am open to positive and negative feedback) or you can message me privately (I think you can do that on this site). This will be a small financial risk (domain name and marketing - ads and such) but not much. It will be time consuming, but hopefully it can eventually manage itself.

Again... I am targeting a specific audience. Are they there?

*final note: I did browse the ladies profiles too. And I know there is a type for a type. I am not dismissing that. But there are so many women seeking the same as I mentioned above... who offer the same qualities, as well. I put a profile on Match for two weeks and only got specifically what I am not seeking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Good Luck, many of us TRY to at least sometimes, to put God first. Good Luck to you, you should find adequate supply of the men you require.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Thank you.

What I am looking for is a whole networking solution for both men and women. Again, the options are limited. And for those of us who are more secular in nature (with diversity comes religious diversity, no?).... Well, that just limits the options even more.

The town has grown so much that I am thinking there are more out there like me. Other more public online services, Match and meetup are just examples, are very limiting. It looks to me that "customers" either want anonymity, will not post pics and accounts will eventually lose activity.

I was just thinking a more "member only" networking website may work. Just brainstorming here.

Last edited by MeAndMillie2; 09-20-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
Try starting a group on Meetup.com ( Meetups near Tyler, Texas - Meetup ) and then print up some flyers to leave in grocery stores and the Post Office.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Try starting a group on Meetup.com ( Meetups near Tyler, Texas - Meetup ) and then print up some flyers to leave in grocery stores and the Post Office.

Thanks Rapunzll!

I did think of that too and looked at what meetup.com already offers (not very active). But I so agree with you, if I do something I have will have "advertise" it to an extent.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
I've found Meetup to be a great place to meet people when I lived in Greenville SC. There's no reason it couldn't be in Tyler too.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
That describes me almost perfectly but I recently escaped East Texas. I don't think you'll find many who closely match your description there.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I've found Meetup to be a great place to meet people when I lived in Greenville SC. There's no reason it couldn't be in Tyler too.
I am just getting the impression that Tyler has this aversion with anything to do with the internet... Odd. I looked at the few meetup groups Tyler has, and most of the comments are the coordinators begging for attendance.

But then maybe it is what they organizing too. Who knows. Mix it up a little... Wine tasting mixed with a Texas Holdem game...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
That describes me almost perfectly but I recently escaped East Texas. I don't think you'll find many who closely match your description there.
Ha ha! They HAVE to be there. I posted this in another forum too... I got a lot of hatemail. A LOT! Not emails that disagreed with me... flat out HATEMAIL. So, we shall see.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

347 posts, read 467,785 times
I wish you well in your search, but after reading your criteria on what type of ppl you are looking for, both my wife and I agree (and we sometimes have different views on things) it may be a very difficult search. Most people are gonna likely be into some of the things that you are not into, and vice versa. It may depend on whether or not you are willing to compromise on one or two of these requirements.

At any rate, good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler