Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I am currently collecting my first round of benefits through the EDD in California. My benefits will be ending in mid-December of 2013. I would be eligible for Tier 1 after that but I see that Tier 1 through 4 will be stopping at the end of 2013. This means that I was at least fortunate enough to receive 26 weeks of benefits.

I am hoping that Congress will do some sort of extension starting at the beginning of 2014 but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone have any guesses on what might happen?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
They would only be guesses. I don't think I've heard any positioning on this topic yet.

I'm hearing of people losing their jobs in the past weeks in advance of ACA so I hope they extend but I don't really feel they will.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 PM

23 posts, read 55,207 times
This is especially annoying for people whose state claim expires around Jan 2014. You get very little advanced notice on whether they say yes or no to an extension.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon50 View Post
This is especially annoying for people whose state claim expires around Jan 2014. You get very little advanced notice on whether they say yes or no to an extension.
The lesson is to not bank on the extensions. I know I wouldn't. Plan on 26 weeks being the end of the road.

I'm sure the extensions will get extended somewhat, but with more cutbacks like in previous years. Most states aren't paying all 4 tiers anyway and EB has been gone a while already.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon50 View Post
I have followed this for four years now and it is annoying and devastating for those relying on those payments. If the government hasn't done something by Thanksgiving you'll likely be waiting past new year's for any word on extensions.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM

It's hard to take a gauge of the political landscape on this one. One thing is for sure, politicians will certainly be "for it before they were against it"

Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 38,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
It's hard to take a gauge of the political landscape on this one. One thing is for sure, politicians will certainly be "for it before they were against it"

I would have to agree with this sentiment here especially in NJ where the unemployment rate is still pretty bad and what is not being reported is even worse. I don't personally feel that it will end.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM

We'll see after the recent budget and Government funding debate is over. I am anxious about this as the job market still sucks. As ususal, this will be a last-minute or after-the-fact issue. I suspect we won't see any resolution on this until late December. Meanwhile, you can bet that Congressional benefits and pay will be addressed in a flash.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 16,277 times
The problem I see with MYRC60 statement is "those relying on those payments." Unemployment insurance is to help in assisting those unemployed to find a job, not to live on or "rely on." I work in an employment office in California and every single person who wants a job if getting a job through my office. There are too many people (not all) who just do not want to work or only want a $60, 000 a year 8am-4pm job that is easy with little experience and lacking education. It is just not going to happen! I hope the President does not extend unemployment benefits beyond the initial 26 weeks (that is what's was earned) like he has done 7 time already. This handout is making the American people lazy and dependent on hand-outs. Lets get out there and get back to work and stop praying for a hand-out extension...

Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldank View Post
The problem I see with MYRC60 statement is "those relying on those payments." Unemployment insurance is to help in assisting those unemployed to find a job, not to live on or "rely on." I work in an employment office in California and every single person who wants a job if getting a job through my office. There are too many people (not all) who just do not want to work or only want a $60, 000 a year 8am-4pm job that is easy with little experience and lacking education. It is just not going to happen! I hope the President does not extend unemployment benefits beyond the initial 26 weeks (that is what's was earned) like he has done 7 time already. This handout is making the American people lazy and dependent on hand-outs. Lets get out there and get back to work and stop praying for a hand-out extension...
+1

I'm a non college educated gentlemen in my 20's. I've mainly worked in warehousing most of my life and the industry has a lot of layoffs in slow periods of time. In the last 10 years I've been layed off 3 times. Not once did I stay unemployed longer than 6 weeks. UI is an insult to the amount of money I make working so I could never be content collecting a UI check. I put in 10-20 apps a day when unemployed and I follow up. I understand that some people who are educated work in fields where jobs are no longer in high demand, they are age discriminated against, and other issues that i sympathize with but staying on UI for a full 79 weeks is absurd. Many of my friends that are unemployed for 6+ months are unemployed by choice. There's not much of a difference between working and making 40,000 a year and staying on unemployment making 23,000 a year after taxes. So some choose to only accept a very select few jobs because at this income level working is almost not worth it.

On a side note I would hope UI is no longer extended but its likely it will be extended. I believe there will be additional cuts to the tiers and weeks available though. They will just wing people off of UI.

Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 09-29-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment