Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
As a standalone though the votes appear to be there already, Reid just didn't want to remove it from the bill for possible leverage. I'm betting he wanted the other stuff in their passed so badly that he thought keeping unemployed in there would make the republicans feel sorry enough to vote for it no matter what was in there. They didn't fall for it and now it's time to give in.
But will he? We think he HAS to, but he doesn't have to do anything. I hope he does, but he's disappointed us more than once in the past few months.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,798 times
My 26 week claim ends in 1.9 weeks. I've given up hope for an extension and am making plans about where my DH and I will be putting our tent. I've been looking for 10 months and haven't even been able to find even a part-time job. I've decided I'm no longer going to stress myself out about getting an extension. It's politics as usual in Washington DC and the politicians don't give a rat's *** about us. I've called my mortgage company and they are sending me a loan modification packet to see if we qualify. Hopefully that helps so we can try and keep a roof over our head at least.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
My 26 week claim ends in 1.9 weeks. I've given up hope for an extension and am making plans about where my DH and I will be putting our tent. I've been looking for 10 months and haven't even been able to find even a part-time job. I've decided I'm no longer going to stress myself out about getting an extension. It's politics as usual in Washington DC and the politicians don't give a rat's *** about us. I've called my mortgage company and they are sending me a loan modification packet to see if we qualify. Hopefully that helps so we can try and keep a roof over our head at least.
You should still be eligible for state EB - this from the MN dol website -

Quote:
Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) begins to phase-out the week of May 30 - June 5, 2010. This phase-out* affects applicants who exhaust regular state unemployment benefits or one of the EUC tiers. Instead of applying for EUC or moving to the next tier, applicants who exhaust benefits will apply for Federal-State Extended Benefits (EB).
This means:
If you exhaust regular state unemployment benefits with a payment for the week of May 23 - May 29, or later, you will apply for Federal-State Extended Benefits (EB).
If you exhaust one of the EUC tiers with a payment for the week of May 30 - June 5, 2010, or later, you will apply for Federal-State Extended Benefits (EB).
Extension of Benefits

Old 06-26-2010, 08:55 PM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Just saying, "Don't get your hopes up." An awful lot of us are counting on this and I'm afraid ppl. will be deeply shocked/hurt when nothing happens...it can't go on forever, it must end sometime and the time may have come unfortunately.
It can't go on forever, but it shouldn't be done so "abruptly" either. Having an extension until October or November or December and making clear it is likely the last extension gives plenty of time to adjust.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It can't go on forever, but it shouldn't be done so "abruptly" either. Having an extension until October or November or December and making clear it is likely the last extension gives plenty of time to adjust.
Agree - if they want to revert to the usual 26 weeks of regular and state EB for those states that will still offer it regardless of federal funding - at least enact one more deadline extension with notice that it's the FINAL one.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
While we are awaiting word from the House on stand-alone legislation, I prepared this summary of two bills still pending in the Senate to give you a sense of where things stand now...

There are two different bills still pending in the Senate that isolate the extension of federal unemployment benefits. I have summarized them below.

Basically, Reid did not want to break the UI provisions out of the tax extenders, so neither bill went anywhere. But both are still viable and can be revived for amendment, consideration, and debate at any time.

(1) S.3420.IS: Essentially, Grassley's bill provides temporary [30-day] extensions into July - a deadline that which would probably be lengthened further at this stage. Because Grassley's bill was introduced in May, it has a few more programs in addition to unemployment benefits (so they would probably be trimmed if the bill is raised for reconsideration). Grassley's unemployment benefits include: (a) the EUC Tiers; (b) 100% funding for EB; and (c) the COBRA premium subsidy. No extension of the eligibility cut-off date for the $25 weekly FAC payment. And, of course, the programs in Grassley's bill are "pay-go" -- entirely paid for by Stimulus Funds.

(2) S.3520: Stabenow's bill re-extends the eligibility cut-off dates through December 31, 2010. Because her bill was introduced in June, it covers federal unemployment benefits solely. Stabenow's unemployment benefits include: (a) the EUC Tiers; and (b) 100% funding for EB. No extension of the eligibility cut-off dates for the COBRA premium subsidy or for the $25 weekly FAC payment. The bill recommends that the programs be treated as "emergency expenses" -- however, it leaves the final funding decision to the Senate Budget Committee (so there's a "little wiggle room" there for compromise).
Quote:
[I.] S.3420.IS - Protecting Against Indebting our Descendants through Fully Offset Relief (PAID FOR) Temporary Extension Act of 2010
Introduced on 05/25/2010, by Sentor Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).

This bill includes: (a) temporary extension of certain federal unemployment benefits program; (b) Medicare physician payment update ("doc fix" - already passed as stand-alone legislation); (c) extension of flood insurance program; (d) small business loan guarantee

For Federal Unemployment Benefits -- extends eligibility cut-off dates for:
• EUC Tiers to July 7, 2010
• 100% federal funding for EB to July 7, 2010
• COBRA premium subsidy to June 30, 2010
[Note: eligibility cut-off date for $25 weekly FAC payment not extended.]

Effective dates:
All extensions retroactive to May/June 2010 cut-off dates in prior legislation.

Sources of funding:
All programs considered as "Pay-Go" -- to be underwritten by Stimulus Fund
Quote:
[II.] S.3520 - Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010
Introduced on 06/22/2010, by Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich).

This bill includes only extensions of certain unemployment benefits programs.

For Federal Unemployment Benefits -- extends eligibility cut-off dates for:
• EUC Tiers to December 31, 2010
• 100% federal funding for EB to December 31, 2010
[Note: eligibility cut-off dates for COBRA premium subsidy and for $25 weekly FAC payment not extended.]

Effective dates:
All extensions retroactive to May/June 2010 cut-off dates in prior legislation.

Sources of funding:
All programs tentatively suggested as "emergency spending" -- but bill states that final determination of emergency funding versus pay-go funding will be determined by the Senate Budget Committee's review of both considerations (a little "wiggle room" for compromise).

Old 06-27-2010, 08:01 AM

194 posts, read 314,426 times
Diorgirl I don't care what anyone says about you it's post's like this that make this forum so valuable. There are many more also.

I aslo want to take the time to say to you that I trust your information. Why because 99% of the time you present facts. I don't know how you get the information but I do check it out after you post it. I have almost always find it to be the facts.

I will not get into a debate here with anyone about diorgirl, if you can come here with facts that's what makes this forum so useful for most of us.

I also appreciate someone who apprently is well read and very intelligent. I don't even know who diogirl is but if this person's name was joe blow I would say the same thing. Most people feel the same way I do, so if you have a problem with my comments that is your problem. I appreciate what this person brings to the forum.

My 2 cents

Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 AM

162 posts, read 312,947 times
I also believe that with a standalone bill, they will go to december 31 not the end of november

Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
While we are awaiting word from the House on stand-alone legislation, I prepared this summary of two bills still pending in the Senate to give you a sense of where things stand now...

There are two different bills still pending in the Senate that isolate the extension of federal unemployment benefits. I have summarized them below.

Basically, Reid did not want to break the UI provisions out of the tax extenders, so neither bill went anywhere. But both are still viable and can be revived for amendment, consideration, and debate at any time.

(1) S.3420.IS: Essentially, Grassley's bill provides temporary [30-day] extensions into July - a deadline that which would probably be lengthened further at this stage. Because Grassley's bill was introduced in May, it has a few more programs in addition to unemployment benefits (so they would probably be trimmed if the bill is raised for reconsideration). Grassley's unemployment benefits include: (a) the EUC Tiers; (b) 100% funding for EB; and (c) the COBRA premium subsidy. No extension of the eligibility cut-off date for the $25 weekly FAC payment. And, of course, the programs in Grassley's bill are "pay-go" -- entirely paid for by Stimulus Funds.

(2) S.3520: Stabenow's bill re-extends the eligibility cut-off dates through December 31, 2010. Because her bill was introduced in June, it covers federal unemployment benefits solely. Stabenow's unemployment benefits include: (a) the EUC Tiers; and (b) 100% funding for EB. No extension of the eligibility cut-off dates for the COBRA premium subsidy or for the $25 weekly FAC payment. The bill recommends that the programs be treated as "emergency expenses" -- however, it leaves the final funding decision to the Senate Budget Committee (so there's a "little wiggle room" there for compromise).

What are the chances of these being pulled out from the Committee on Finance?

Why hasn't Pelosi or anyone else mentioned that these options are available to the Senate?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
What are the chances of these being pulled out from the Committee on Finance?
I haven't heard anyone in the Senate stepping forward to move either of these forward yet. But we start a new week tomorrow -- and it is also very possible that members of the House could use either bill as a prototype for drafting their own bill.

Quote:
Why hasn't Pelosi or anyone else mentioned that these options are available to the Senate?
As a matter of protocol, it would be highly unusual for Pelosi or anyone else in the House to publicly tell Reid or another Senator how to proceed with legislation introduced in the Senate and not yet moved to the House.

Until the bill is officially subject to House scrutiny -- or if the bill has already been passed by the House and is in play in the Senate -- legislators at the federal level generally do not comment on the activities of the other chamber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment