Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 05:06 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Glad we could educate you.
I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 05:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
No that mauve pub is enough for me, I am knackered about 4 oclock, getting old and driving in London is too much. LOL

Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
No that mauve pub is enough for me, I am knackered about 4 oclock, getting old and driving in London is too much. LOL
Well 31 2 days ago plus I don't drive I've got a few years left LOL

Do you get round to Paddington w2 at all? Great drinking there mate

Old 12-13-2015, 05:19 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
Not a lot, W2 is bad for parking, I remember reversing into a police car there, so not many good memories.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM

181 posts, read 155,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Your lucky mate I'd KILL to meet more Americans in London especially the ladies

You sound like you have a terrific job mate ( beats scaffolding )

Are you looking for an apprentice by any chance LOL.
They're not any different. Sorry to ruin on you're parade.

The Americans in my university look like us, you can only tell when they open their mouth.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:54 PM

181 posts, read 155,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Boring? You people are anything but boring. The hilarious sense of humor, the sense of fun, always finding interesting things to do. If anyone is boring it's Americans.

And to the person who thinks Americans are LOUD. You probably ran into some kids (who are loud everywhere) or some New Yorkers. New Yorkers are known for being very loud. Even in Sept when I was going through customs in Dublin, there was a very loud woman screaming into the air--"SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO!" Everyone looked at her. She did have a NY accent.
I don't know really because I have seen alot of loud Americans who talk a lot louder than the English. I suppose it isn't fair to stereotype them all to be loud - let's say alot of Americans are loud.

Where I live now there are alot of American students and they make it clear who they are. The first thing they do that British people don't do is talk loudly in the queue - that draws massive attention to them. The next thing they do is talk loud on public transport when everyone else is quiet.

I am not quite sure why they haven't yet caught onto our cultural norms. You would think if everyone in the queue was being quiet that you'd shut up.

It does my head in to be honest. Sometimes it looks really arrogant, like they think they are something special and everyone should bow down to them, otherwise why would they think we give a crap about their conversation?

They can't seem to handle critism either.

Last edited by Rediculousaffairs; 12-13-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediculousaffairs View Post
They're not any different. Sorry to ruin on you're parade.

The Americans in my university look like us, you can only tell when they open their mouth.
Sorry to rain on your parade. That's the term.

Just had to throw that in. But I said it softly, in case you can't tell from the screen.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
I don't know really because I have seen alot of loud Americans who talk a lot louder than the English. I suppose it isn't fair to stereotype them all to be loud - let's say alot of Americans are loud.

Where I live now there are alot of American students and they make it clear who they are. The first thing they do that British people don't do is talk loudly in the queue - that draws massive attention to them. The next thing they do is talk loud on public transport when everyone else is quiet.

I am not quite sure why they haven't yet caught onto our cultural norms. You would think if everyone in the queue was being quiet that you'd shut up.

It does my head in to be honest. Sometimes it looks really arrogant, like they think they are something special and everyone should bow down to them, otherwise why would they think we give a crap about their conversation?

Just as I said before--KIDS. They are not adults. Your young people come over here and do stupid things too. I've mentioned it before but the two young British men who stayed in the same motel with us at Cape Cod--in Massachusetts one December. Asking me where the beaches were--and the girls. Well, in DECEMBER, the beaches are a bit unwelcoming (snow) and the GIRLS are probably far away, sitting in front of a warm fireplace. The entire country is NOT Florida or California.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade. That's the term.

Just had to throw that in. But I said it softly, in case you can't tell from the screen.

TBF, this looked like a "phone speak" (automated word choice when using a phone or an iPad).

Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:

The British form of criticism is very different from what is acceptable in the US and would be considered very rude here.

In the US, you're supposed to gently let people know what you think is wrong with their performance, often the criticism is masquerading as an outward praise. It is believed that criticism in a positive form leads to better acceptance by the individual being criticized, while the negative form makes them defensive and doesn't produce the desired result. Also, it's just a cultural thing - in most states, being rude to people is still a major social taboo.

The British criticism to me is very much like German - in your face, extremely direct, and unless you grew up in that culture, seems rather harsh and personal. Add to this the infamous English sarcasm - something that the Germans don't use as much - and the English criticism often comes across as a direct, poisonous insult. Even when you guys didn't intend it to be.

This is just another example of cultural difference - like being loud in a public place. I have a buddy who's very tall, very large, very talkative, very loud, very friendly, and extremely outgoing. When he's in a public place like a bar / line to a concert / game, he would constantly engage total strangers in our conversations. Some don't mind, others make a couple polite remarks and go back to their business. It's all in good fun, and most people don't mind at all, but I suspect in Britain he'd be seen as rude and perhaps even intimidating.

Another characteristic British trend that I find somewhat annoying is the propensity to poo-poo nearly everything and always assume that no matter what someone is trying to achieve, they are destined to fail unless they somehow cheat or play unfairly. Not everyone is like that, but I've met enough Brits to see that this was a fairly common mindset.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 12-14-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom