Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:57 AM

350 posts, read 653,954 times

Advertisements

I can think of a way these parasites can save UK much more money.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 PM

163 posts, read 320,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
I can think of a way these parasites can save UK much more money.

As a matter of fact, why dont you do some research, you will find the royal family save and give tax payers alot more than they cost them,

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: personal remarks removed

Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM

350 posts, read 653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post
As a matter of fact, why dont you do some research, you will find the royal family save and give tax payers alot more than they cost them
I can find just as much data that counters that, And being a republican, I've no use for the tossers.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-18-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: orphaned material

Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
I can find just as much data that counters that, And being a republican, I've no use for the tossers.

Oh your a republican, dont worry, no ones perfect

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-18-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: orphaned material removed

Old 12-18-2008, 01:01 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
We've been trying to get rid of them for years, Gortamor. It's not like they even want Aust to be a part of the Bwitish Commonwealth anyway. Who knows, we may yet celebrate Independence Day instead of that old woman's birthday...hopefully I'll still be around to see it!

(Out of ALL the monarchies we could've been lumbered with, we'd have to get the least photogenic..tsk tsk).

Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
Quote:
Oh your a republican, dont worry, no ones perfect
I dunno, I looked at his profile, he comes pretty close!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
As a matter of fact, why dont you do some research, you will find the royal family save and give tax payers alot more than they cost them, then you might be able to post an educated post,

The issue is far deeper and complex than the royals giving more than they get. On the face of it, the crown estate pays in more to to the treasury than the estimated cost of the royals but:
1. This does not include the non-immediate family, security, or any cost that is not directly affiliated with a 'state visit or event';
2. Who would actually own the crown estate if the monarchy were dissolved? If it were the country then there is a huge opportunity cost of keeping them as private residences;
3. How do you measure monetary worth?

The issue is not a financial one for me. I have said this many times but its a moral and ethical issue. When writing a series of pamphlets in the late 1770's Thomas Paine said "For all men being originally equal, no one by birth could have a right to set up his own family in perpetual preference to all others for ever, and though himself might deserve some decent degree of honour of his contemporaries, yet his descendants might be far too unworthy to inherit them". This was a publication that helped shape US independence, and ultimately the constitution.

The monarchy are amongst other things regressive, archaic, and completely unnecessary. Surely, arguments for the monarchy run a little thin amongst the so called 'educated'. Apart from fake nationalism, I fail to see an argument.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The issue is far deeper and complex than the royals giving more than they get. On the face of it, the crown estate pays in more to to the treasury than the estimated cost of the royals but:
1. This does not include the non-immediate family, security, or any cost that is not directly affiliated with a 'state visit or event';
2. Who would actually own the crown estate if the monarchy were dissolved? If it were the country then there is a huge opportunity cost of keeping them as private residences;
3. How do you measure monetary worth?

The issue is not a financial one for me. I have said this many times but its a moral and ethical issue. When writing a series of pamphlets in the late 1770's Thomas Paine said "For all men being originally equal, no one by birth could have a right to set up his own family in perpetual preference to all others for ever, and though himself might deserve some decent degree of honour of his contemporaries, yet his descendants might be far too unworthy to inherit them". This was a publication that helped shape US independence, and ultimately the constitution.

The monarchy are amongst other things regressive, archaic, and completely unnecessary. Surely, arguments for the monarchy run a little thin amongst the so called 'educated'. Apart from fake nationalism, I fail to see an argument.

ENJOY!!!!!!

Ipsos MORI | Publications & Archive | Research Archive | Polls 2006 | Monarchy Poll (http://www.ipsos-mori.com/content/polls-06/monarchy-poll.ashx - broken link)

Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
ENJOY!!!!!!

Ipsos MORI | Publications & Archive | Research Archive | Polls 2006 | Monarchy Poll (http://www.ipsos-mori.com/content/polls-06/monarchy-poll.ashx - broken link)

Glad to see that you are quoting statistics published on behalf of 'The Sun', who then 'weighted' the results to fit the profile of the population When the majority of the press reading public read The Sun, it is no surprise...

Like I have said.. I'm really not interested in public opinion on the royals. Her countless PR agents are working overtime to ensure that she is positively perceived. My opinion won't change because of that.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Glad to see that you are quoting statistics published on behalf of 'The Sun', who then 'weighted' the results to fit the profile of the population When the majority of the press reading public read The Sun, it is no surprise...

Like I have said.. I'm really not interested in public opinion on the royals. Her countless PR agents are working overtime to ensure that she is positively perceived. My opinion won't change because of that.

I'm 100% behind you on that one Ian. Hopefully one day Britain will have enough confidence to stand proudly without the crutch of Monarchy.

I love tradition and continuity as much as the next person but some traditions just need re-assessing and we deserve a more democratic, transparent system.

The Monarchy is an an archaic, outdated, unfair, undemocratic system of inherited power, and privilege which should have no place in a modern Nation.

It is bad enough having an unelected PM at the moment , must we really carry on pandering to the desires of the Royal family and their sycophants as well ?

At least let the Nation decide and let's have a real debate with real facts , and a proper referendum. I am fairly sure the Royal Family would still win out but I think it would be good to know exactly how many people are against the Monarchy and how many do not give a toss either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom