Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 AM

163 posts, read 320,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Thank the Lord you are a VERY VERY small percentage of her subjects!!!!!!!!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post
Thank the Lord you are a VERY VERY small percentage of her subjects!!!!!!!!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!!!!
Seriously man Maybe you should expand your reading past the likes of Andy Mcnab?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM

350 posts, read 653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
At least you all know who is up next in line unlike us yanks who never know what will show up at a convention and declare themselves ready to lead
Um, yes this is called a democracy. Inconvenient, isn't it? And one of the things I do love about US.

That being said, thankfully the monarchy has little or no real power anymore (much more to worry about from a power hungry PM like Thatcher) - so, this being true, why not can the lot of them? They serve no purpose.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Um, yes this is called a democracy. Inconvenient, isn't it? And one of the things I do love about US.

That being said, thankfully the monarchy has little or no real power anymore (much more to worry about from a power hungry PM like Thatcher) - so, this being true, why not can the lot of them? They serve no purpose.
You made a good case for retaining them yourself with "power hungry PM",,

Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You made a good case for retaining them yourself with "power hungry PM",,
Not at all - they've no real power to check the PM.

I would prefer the US system where the president is, more or less, directly elected. If the people elect an eejit, as the did twice with W., they are responsible for the results.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM

But if indeed you are Irish, and I can only assume from your posts living in Eire, then you already have the system you want. Do you not??
If so, then why,,,""I would prefer the US system where the president is, more or less, directly elected"". Why then the fuss from someone uneffected by the British political system??

Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
But if indeed you are Irish, and I can only assume from your posts living in Eire, then you already have the system you want. Do you not??
If so, then why,,,""I would prefer the US system where the president is, more or less, directly elected"". Why then the fuss from someone uneffected by the British political system??
I'm Irish from the six, and live in US right now, although I cannot vote here. Still, with all of its problems, I admire the US system and think UK would be wise to follow it. Direct election of leaders, no more monarchy and House of Lords, disestablishment of the CofE.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm Irish from the six, and live in US right now, although I cannot vote here. Still, with all of its problems, I admire the US system and think UK would be wise to follow it. Direct election of leaders, no more monarchy and House of Lords, disestablishment of the CofE.
And I think the US should have a Monarchy ...But there is about as much chance of that happening in the foreseeable future as there is us losing ours...Luckily..

Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
And I think the US should have a Monarchy ...But there is about as much chance of that happening in the foreseeable future as there is us losing ours...Luckily..
The movement is away from antiquated monarchies, Lincolnshire. As I said, they are purely ornamental - serve no true practical purpose anymore - so why keep the wasters on?

But frankly, once the Brits are out of the six, will really make no difference to me.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The movement is away from antiquated monarchies, Lincolnshire. As I said, they are purely ornamental - serve no true practical purpose anymore - so why keep the wasters on?

But frankly, once the Brits are out of the six, will really make no difference to me.
Glad to hear you`ll be happy to allow us our Monarchy ....As for the movement being away try telling that to the Monarchist MAJORITY..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom