Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 14,147 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been reading some of the web sites about polygamy in Utah. One web site stated that there are many Christian polygamists that are moving to Utah that are not LDS. Also, August 19th is Polygamy day. I'm curious, are there celebrations for such an event in Utah? Is polygamy widely accepted, or is it a hush hush kind of thing?

Thanks for your input,

DKB

P.S. I'm not a polygamist but have no problem with mature consenting adults that practice the lifestyle.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,090 times
I live in an area that is noted as polygamy central. Hilldale Utah, and Colorado City (same town really) are not far. St. George you see them everywhere. The dress is distinctive. They pretty much leave you alone if you leave them alone. As for a polygamy day, that is a new one on me. No it is not celebrated. As to others moving here to practice polygamy, I wouldn't know, since again they leave you alone. Utah is not the only state. Az, Wy, Tx, Id, and even down in Mexico and up in Canada. There may be other places as well. It is just noted more as being in Utah.

I personally do not condone it, but I have no right to tell anyone else how to live their lives. I accept people for who they are. I have one polygamist lady as a friend. She was my nurse in the hospital after surgery. I also have a couple friends who are gay and have aides. I may not like things about them in their lifestyle, but they are still people and I like the person.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 14,147 times
Default Thanks Blondie Rabbit

I appreciate your perspective on the subject. Thanks! DKB

Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,418 times
Polygamy is viewed in Utah the way it is anywhere else in the country: mostly weird, with many viewing it as completely heinous. Occasionally I see Polygamists at Costco (I live in Salt Lake). It's the kind of thing where you elbow the person you're with and whisper, "hey, look, a polygamist!"
It is in no way celebrated here and if you infer that polygamists are LDS they (both Polygamists and actual members of the LDS church) will tell you that you are WRONG. Most Utahns know at least one person who is/was polygamist and there are lots of sad stories about the effects of polygamy. It's not a happy picture and most people here know that.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
This thread is old and contentious. It attracts tha wrong kind of new poster. The question has been answered. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: