Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Some things you may want to know about Utah, by Geo-Aggie:

Pioneer Day: This is a July 24th state holiday celebrating the 1847 arrival of the Mormon Pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley. Most people have the day off and there's a big parade in downtown Salt Lake and fireworks happen. While not strictly a religious holiday, if it offends you there is a subculture who celebrates "Pie-N-Beer Day" on the same date...
I am a native Utahan and my dad sold beer for a living and I didn't even know this. Must celebrate this year.

On a side note, former Jazz forward, Karl Malone arrived in Utah on Pioneer Day to begin his career with the Utah Jazz. He didn't know about our Pioneer Day celebration and thought we were all celebrating his birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,197 times
There are so many cool things to do here! Check out Things 2 Do in Utah | Exploring the unknown and well known in the Great State of Utah

Old 06-06-2014, 08:27 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
Everyone knows who John Stockton, Karl Malone and Jerry Sloan are.!
I think the first two are car dealers ??
Whats up with the third one ??

Oh well ...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM

81 posts, read 131,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk42 View Post
We have lived in the midwest our whole life and have done very minimal travelling west of the Missouri. Wife got a job teaching in the SLC area, so we're headed out there to live next month.

As someone with very little to no knowledge on the state, what are some bigger picture do's and don'ts of Utah?

Also, what are some "EVERYONE knows that!" things? For example, in the midwest, EVERYONE knows how extreme the weather is. Or EVERYONE knows a farmer or rancher. Or EVERYONE is super proud if our little town or state gets on the national news. EVERYONE's been in a tornado and doesn't run for shelter if they see one. EVERYONE'S the nicest people in the country, etc. etc.

What are some good "uniquely Utah" things to read about, do, or get prepared for before the move?

Any and all info is helpful! (especially if you can get me a job... )
No pointers here but just wanted to let you know that we are also moving from the midwest (Kansas) to SLC as husband got a job at the Univ. of Utah..........

Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoUtah99 View Post
No pointers here but just wanted to let you know that we are also moving from the midwest (Kansas) to SLC as husband got a job at the Univ. of Utah..........
Hello! I just wanted to say welcome and I hope you enjoy it here.

We moved to Utah from SoCal 8 years ago. Coming from Kansas I am sure you will like the weather here.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 PM

850 posts, read 1,027,234 times
Um...it's LDS not LSD <runs away>

Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM

103 posts, read 305,058 times
Welcome to Utah! Any first impressions yet, OP?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:55 AM

43 posts, read 132,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
Geo-Aggie, as usual, nails all the important things though I do have one qualifier: No native Utahn ever puts "the" in front of any highway name. As Geo said, the two major freeways in the valley are I-15 and I-80 (not "the 15" like Californians would say), but this is also true for I-215. It is "215" or sometimes "I-215"---but NEVER "the" 215. US201, similarly, is sometimes "201" (and not "the 201") but is more often (especially by longtime residents) called "21st South" or "21st South Freeway" (2100 South is its approximate location on the valley's grid system).

The other thing I have to add: Make an effort to understand the valley's grid system. Absolutely nothing will label you a transplant/visitor faster than not being able to get around this incredibly organized city, or not understanding how our "weird" address with two directions work. Once you get understand the grid, it's like an instant, built-in GPS to everywhere without actually having GPS! Katzpur's excellent sticky primer is a great place to start.

Regarding jobs, what industry? Someone here may have advice, depending on what kind of work you're looking for.

Wait, we californians put 'the' before freeway numbers? 'just take 101'.. 'which one is faster, 101 or 280?'..i don't think we put 'the' anywhere there ...or, at least it's optional and not a rule..

Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM

762 posts, read 2,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfung View Post
Wait, we californians put 'the' before freeway numbers? 'just take 101'.. 'which one is faster, 101 or 280?'..i don't think we put 'the' anywhere there ...or, at least it's optional and not a rule..
Well, my Southern California-born spouse does (and didn't even notice until I pointed it out), and so does everyone I speak to when we visit. Maybe it's a regional thing...

Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 PM

534 posts, read 1,534,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfung View Post
LOL, yes, most SOUTHERN Californians do.

I was working as an environmental planner and writing a section on Traffic/Transportation for an Environmental Impact Report (EIR).

I had to write the "current setting" at the beginning, which describes all of the roads and highways. I had just moved three years earlier from Southern California to Northern California. I'm a geographer, so I took a look at the maps and described what I saw, and used references as well.

I got an irate call from my project manager when I turned in that section. It seems she KNEW I had PLAGIARIZED because I used "the" in front of freeway names/numbers, lol ("the 50" instead of just "50" or "Highway 50"). She was SURE that I had copied someone elses' work.

Boy did I dish it back to her, telling her I had lived in SoCal for 35 years, and lived in NorCal just for the past 3 years. I grew up saying "the 118," "the 405," and "the 101."

So yes, Southern Californians, we do have an "accent!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah