Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times

Advertisements

So many people go all meat and no carbs to lose weight. That would make me GAIN insanely. I'm wondering who else here is vegan (in part?) to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I did it last year and I lost a lot of weight. I had to gradually turn myself vegan, so I would do it for awhile and then keep adding up until I was fully vegan. Just eat healthily, take vitamins, and substitute the nutrients you would otherwise get from meat proteins. It takes a lot of self control if you are not used to it, so it's not for everyone. I discovered so many cool recipes and vegan alternatives to foods like cheese. I'm not a fan of the overly processed, who-knows-what-it-actually-is vegan cheese that you find in the stores and restaurants.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
So many people go all meat and no carbs to lose weight. That would make me GAIN insanely. I'm wondering who else here is vegan (in part?) to lose weight.
No it will not, have you done it?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I've been vegan-curious since I heard that Bill Clinton has been a vegan for two years. Going to look into it but I don't know how I'll live without cheese.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
When my sister went vegan she gained weight, too much bread and potatoes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
It is true - you can eat a vegan diet and gain weight because vegetable fat, sugar and many breads and starches are not animal based but they are caloric and will cause weight gain if they are over-eaten. That being said, a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, tofu, nuts, seeds and avocados, and as little processed foods as possible, will lead to weight loss when coupled with common sense and exercise. No, you can't eat half a loaf of bread slathered with peanut butter and jelly and expect to lose weight...moderation, exercise, whole-foods - these things will lead most to weight loss.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:38 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I am a vegan and have been for years. All meat and no carbs is pretty disastrous to your cholesterol levels and is way too much fat intake.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No it will not, have you done it?
Yes -- I usually collapse into my food cravings and fall off the wagon eventually, but as long as I stcik to it I lose weight nicely.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
keto works better, look it up its basically the opposite of vegan

Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I was vegan for over a year - now I eat 90% vegan - adding plain Greek yogurt, feta cheese and salmon to my diet a couple times a week....but very few animal products in total. I lost 80 lbs and have kept it off. I never hit a plateau or gained weight during the last 20 months - I just kept losing and eventually started having to eat more calories because I got down to 127 lbs. (I'm 5'9) and was continuing to lose even though I eat lots of food.

I don't eat sugar other than what is naturally in whole foods. I rarely eat bread, I rarely eat packaged foods (I did have some gluten free crackers at a party recently), I don't add oil, margarine or butter to my cooking but I do use lots of fresh and dried herbs and seasoning. Most of my diet consists of organic fruits and vegetables (mostly raw), nuts, seeds, legumes, tofu, beans, oatmeal, buckwheat, avocado (for fat and protein), brown rice once in a great while. I eat a baked sweet potato every couple of months. I eat good sized portions for breakfast and lunch and have a green smoothie and a hand full of pistachios for dinner. I exercise almost daily and I am very physically active. I'm 63 and I weigh myself once a week - I have usually slipped from my desired 129 to 125 or 126 - so I get to eat some extra fat that week.

I know there are some that think that you shouldn't eliminated any foods from your diet in order to lose weight - but I totally disagree. If certain foods have proved historically to be a cause of weight gain for you and they can be eliminated or severely curtailed from your diet without adverse health consequences - then you will probably be able to lose and keep it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food