Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:59 AM

1,198 posts, read 663,627 times

Advertisements

I always spend Thanksgiving at my Moms along with my partner, my sister, and a friend or two of Moms. We used to have all vegan Thanksgiving meals for several years in a row, but my Mom completely changed her diet so she eats very low carb, no grains beans nuts or seeds lol. So now she serves meat. :/ I still bring all my own veg stuff to share but it's REALLY HARD to find something to make for her beyond simple salads or squash because my entire diet is stuff she won't eat save some vegetables and a few fruits.

At any rate, this year I plan to make a Waldorf salad with homemade cashew based mayonnaise to share, and a Paleo vegan lemon bread to share (it's the closest I can come to making something acceptable to my mother, though she won't like the almond meal and coconut in it because it's higher in fat...sighs). I might make a crockpot baked bean dish for the others, and some kind of beet relish dish too. One of my Mom's friends is vegan and usually makes something really nice for me which I appreciate. I don't mind cooking all my own food but once in a great while it's nice to get a break and be served by someone else. I rarely eat out so this is a treat.

Here are a few pics of previous all vegan holiday meals we ate together (one is Christmas and one is a Thanksgiving meal). I am very nontraditional when it comes to holiday meals.
Attached Thumbnails
Vegetarian Thanksgiving-christmas-dinner-2016-iii-public.jpg   Vegetarian Thanksgiving-december-2014-035.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,695 times
https://wtop.com/recipes/2017/10/roo...-thanksgiving/

Old 11-04-2017, 08:52 PM

48,554 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I did Thanksgiving when my sis was vegan. I just split things like mashed potatoes, one had no dairy the other did, salad, yams... she bought a Tofurkey... it all worked out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,771,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have multiple side dishes and a main dish. This year we are hosting some non veg*n guests so I'm also making something for them.

I'm serving 2 Tofurkey roasts - one baked in the oven and the other cooked in the crock pot with a cranberry sweet and sour glaze. The other entree is eggplant parm.

Sides include string beans almondine, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, savory chili roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, mashed turnips, green salad, stuffing and home made cranberry sauce with Cointreau.

Yes I make a lot! My family like to try a bit of this and a bit of that. We also adore left overs.

Mashed taters AND mashed turnips? Lucullus lives!

Seriously, though, add some baked winter squash and wild rice and it would be the perfect spread.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:14 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Mashed taters AND mashed turnips? Lucullus lives!

Seriously, though, add some baked winter squash and wild rice and it would be the perfect spread.
Not really. It's just that people seem to have strong feelings about turnips. Love 'em or hate 'em - not much in between.

I fall into the "love" group. I seldom enjoy turnips other than on holidays.

I'd agree that baked winter squash and wild rice would be nice additions.

I also agree that it is a near perfect spread.

Would you stuff the winter squash with wild rice? Or serve them separately? Any recipes or serving suggestions?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:19 AM

48,554 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not really. It's just that people seem to have strong feelings about turnips. Love 'em or hate 'em - not much in between.

I fall into the "love" group. I seldom enjoy turnips other than on holidays.

I'd agree that baked winter squash and wild rice would be nice additions.

I also agree that it is a near perfect spread.

Would you stuff the winter squash with wild rice? Or serve them separately? Any recipes or serving suggestions?
Oh, like 10 years ago I did acorn squash, stuff with a wild rice mix (I added brown I think, cooked with onions and stuff), fresh sage, and brown sugar/butter drizzle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,563,103 times
An update on BUU's Mushroom wellington thread, old links are broken.
It does look delicious, I think I'm going to try making it. TY BUU

Old 11-12-2017, 12:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,882,789 times
Where do I find this recipe ???
The Mushroom Wellington...?

QUOTE=TerraDown;50106291]An update on BUU's Mushroom wellington thread, old links are broken.
It does look delicious, I think I'm going to try making it. TY BUU [/quote]

Old 11-12-2017, 12:29 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,882,789 times
I change about with Thanksgiving recipes...

the only always-make dish is my grandmother's recipe for dressing.....delicious with a side of nostalgia

Old 11-12-2017, 12:47 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,563,103 times
LOL! So sorry GreatHeron! I sleep in on Sundays, was tired, made post and forgot the link!

https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/mushroom-wellington/

By the way, you could share the recipe for the dressing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food