Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,872 times

Advertisements

And I'll bet you believe their intent is to be cruel don't you?

There is a huge difference between a human being committing an act of cruelty and an animal. I'll bet you needed that explained to you though didn't you? You are clearly arguing for arguments sake.

Therefore, conversation is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
I don't understand why people post to cause problems when the thread isn't addressing them.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
And I'll bet you believe their intent is to be cruel don't you?

There is a huge difference between a human being committing an act of cruelty and an animal. I'll bet you needed that explained to you though didn't you? You are clearly arguing for arguments sake.

Therefore, conversation is over.
We don't even have a full understanding of the human mind. I'd venture a guess we can't truly understand what goes on in an animal's mind at all. We can only guess through observation and study. Animals do appear to enjoy certain things, but who knows precisely why in some cases. Wolves killing animals then not even eating it is one, cats playing with their prey another.

And no, I'm not arguing for argument's sake. I thought this was an interesting discussion.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Anyone who is a "fan" of PETA needs to do a Google search for two words... "PETA Kills" The truth is out there via their OWN documents. They do not re-home or re-locate the majority of the animals that they "save" or "liberate"...They kill them. Stop listening to the hype and do your own research.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We don't even have a full understanding of the human mind. I'd venture a guess we can't truly understand what goes on in an animal's mind at all. We can only guess through observation and study. Animals do appear to enjoy certain things, but who knows precisely why in some cases. Wolves killing animals then not even eating it is one, cats playing with their prey another.

And no, I'm not arguing for argument's sake. I thought this was an interesting discussion.
We have studied it. Google a search. Animals can be highly intelligent, they can not reason. Wolves do not kill for the thrill. Again, there are territorial rights and if threatened, yes they will go for a kill. If their offspring are threatened, most wildlife will go for a kill. Quite frankly, most human parents would do the same if their offspring were threatened. And they kill for food. Just as we continue to do. But again, there is no ability to reason right from wrong.

Cats are very instinctual as are most animals. They see something moving, they play with it. Mine do it with spiders and the laser light. It's a given. Moving things bring out the playfulness in cats, big cats and little cats. I saw a cat go after a mouse once and I finally scooped the poor thing up (freaky as it was for me) and got it outside. I couldn't stand to watch what the cat was doing to it. But We view it as cruel, they are playing.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
We have studied it. Google a search. Animals can be highly intelligent, they can not reason.
But we will never know for sure, will we?

Who's to say for certain that animals don't kill for sport or pleasure.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
But we will never know for sure, will we?

Who's to say for certain that animals don't kill for sport or pleasure.
Lilybeans to planet earth please. Come in?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I don't like PETA and I don't like the Humane Society of the US, for the simple reason that they are trying to ban hunting.

I don't hunt. I couldn't take the life of animal. But it's not my place to tell someone else they can't hunt. And truth be told, hunting is far more humane than slaughterhouses.
I'm vegan, and I am not against hunting. When I say hunting, I'm referring to people who hunt, kill, and EAT the animal. Sure, on a human level it may sound sad and cruel in the event the animal is wounded and suffering or leaves babies behind, but...that happens in nature EVERY DAY without humans even in the picture.

What does disgust me is sport hunting, where the animal is killed for fun and left behind. This is common in New Mexico, where you can find scores of birds along the mesas in hunting areas that have been shot out of the sky and left to rot. For "fun". That's about as ethical as shooting animals from planes or helicopters.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 PM

I smell a troll.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I'm vegan, and I am not against hunting. When I say hunting, I'm referring to people who hunt, kill, and EAT the animal. Sure, on a human level it may sound sad and cruel in the event the animal is wounded and suffering or leaves babies behind, but...that happens in nature EVERY DAY without humans even in the picture.

What does disgust me is sport hunting, where the animal is killed for fun and left behind. This is common in New Mexico, where you can find scores of birds along the mesas in hunting areas that have been shot out of the sky and left to rot. For "fun". That's about as ethical as shooting animals from planes or helicopters.
Very good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food