Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM

166 posts, read 615,004 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have a Q posted in the LA forum but want all the advice I can get. I am relocating for my company (located in Carp) and plan to live in Ventura. I have one three year old so daycare & schools are important - would love to live right in Carp but am not finding ANYTHING online to help me on that. I do love Ventura though - go there about once a month on business.

Safe apartment suggestions (on the east side of Ventura)? What parts of midtown are safe/secure? Or if you know of, in Carp (here I wouldn't have to worry about a commute time to manage)?

Daycare suggestions? I'm in the La Petite where I live now - know there is one in Ventura but they're not all created equal. Anyone with experience with this center, or others in these communties?

Thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:48 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,607 times
If your making good money Santa Barbara might be a choice for you.
Lots of $$$ to live there though. Carpinteria is a nice place to live keep looking there is possible.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Unhappy Why the thumbs down?

Why the thumbs down for Carp and Ventura? Both are very nice seaside towns with much to offer and a lot of natural beauty. Both cities are low crime and safe.

Ventura Carp commute is mostly easy, BTW. The worst part of the Ventura - Santa Barbara commute is between Carp and SB, not Ventura and Carp.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM

166 posts, read 615,004 times
Default I like em all - Carp, Ventura, SB...

thanks for the replies so far. i do like SB, but if I can find something nice in Carp that is what I'm really looking for, in Ventura secondly just because I really fell in love with the place over the last 6 months or so. I haven't looked for apartments / rentals ever while there however. Can anybody recc names of complexes to inquire with - in Carp, Ventura, or even SB?

Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 AM

35 posts, read 230,718 times
Not many complexes in Ventura I can recommend because most of them are overpriced compared to private landlords. I live in Midtown in a condo-type duplex and love it much more than the previous east end complex we used to live in. In Midtown, there are many houses/condos/duplexes for rent and every street is unique in its own way - just find one that you like.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
Hello!

I will be moving to Ventura CA within the next two months and need some help from the locals. I have a 3 year old child and would be grateful for reccomendations on day care centers. Also - rental housing (I know all about the sticker shock I should expect) - neighborhoods? apartments? My rental range will be $1200-$1600 for a 2br, of course wanting to stay closer to $1200 (is there anything lower that would still be safe and enjoyable?)

Thanks!
For the prices you stated in the LA thread, you can stay in some great places near where I live.
I don't like East Ventura at all. Everything East of the Pacific View Mall (A LIE! You can't climb up in the "tower" and see the Pacific!) seems like a slew of strip malls with overpriced chain resturants and stores punctuating stretches of overpriced tract housing and overpriced apartments. Did I mention that it's overpriced?

Midtown gets my vote. Main street from the Vons on the Avenue to the last thrift store on the hill is pretty fun--if a little limited--and there's more interesting stuff over the hill and in the vicinity of the medical center and 99c store. It's a 5-10 minute walk to Main street, the pier, the point, and the fairgrounds. Easy freeway access too.

Prices Last November:

The Hills: (Great views, matching prices)
Last November (when I was looking for rentals) Hawaiian Village (The hideous green apartment complex up Ann (then left on Church) Street was offering a corner unit 3br/2ba for $1500 with a spectacular ocean view deck. It's a really pretty complex if you can find a spot. There's a banner hanging off it with the number to call. A no-view 2/1 was about $1200.
Harbor View, just repainted an ugly yellow from it's previous yacht-club white and blue, is 1250 for a 1/1. 1400's for a 2+1. Big decks, awesome views, hard to get in. Month-month.
Other independant places on the hills range from 1200-2000, mostly hovering in the 13-1400's.

The Midtown flats: (Closer to stuff, less of a hike up the hill to get home, better prices. My favorite area due to the good value and convenience.)
My complex was offering 2+1's for $1100. There's several apartment complexes with openings between Plaza Park and Memorial Park.

The West End/Avenue: There's a complex on the south end of the Avenue that's $1250 for a 2+1, but I'd avoid it, especially if you're allergic to transients. There's some better deals in the area, like $900 for a 3/2 house, but if nonwhite demographics bother you, you probably should avoid the West valley.

I highly recommend Craigslist for online searches. That's how I found my place, which turned out to be a GREAT value and perfect for me!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 AM

56 posts, read 222,430 times
Stay out of Montalvo, which is just north of the 101, east of Victoria. One clue for you is that the streets are named after birds, and the rent is low (for a reason). I would also avoid Ventura Avenue in the northwest part of the city, but that area is up-and-coming. Anywhere else is fine. There is not much crime in Ventura.

Regarding preschool, Ventura College has a good deal as it is subsidized. There are two classes, a co-op that requires parent participation, and then just a regular one. There is a year-long waiting list due to the low cost, and it is still considered a very good preschool.

Little Tree Preschool is another one. Their focus is on socialization (helping the kids to speak for themselves to resolve conflicts). They have all organic snacks and you aren't allowed to send anything in their lunch that isn't healthy. They also have a parents night out one Friday a month from 6:30 - 9:30.

The best preschool according to my wife's friends is at Trinity Lutheran Church on Ashwood. The preschool is completely non-religious and there is a HUGE waiting list for this one.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:04 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
thanks for the replies so far. i do like SB, but if I can find something nice in Carp that is what I'm really looking for, in Ventura secondly just because I really fell in love with the place over the last 6 months or so. I haven't looked for apartments / rentals ever while there however. Can anybody recc names of complexes to inquire with - in Carp, Ventura, or even SB?

Thanks again!
I have lived in carp for a while and i loved it. It is very slow and almost nothing going on but on the upside it is beautiful and very safe. Its probably the safest town in the sb, ventura area. Ventura and oxnard(lived there for a while too) there is some crime here for sure. There is almosta a stabbing either ventura or oxnard every night . if you don't believe me read the local papers. Its too bad because aside from the trashy people and vibe in ventura and oxnard it is some of the most beautiful country in california.

Sb is supposed to be safe but its way over priced, crowded and it def takes some getting used to as all the towns on the coast are not on grids at all.lol

Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
I have lived in carp for a while and i loved it. It is very slow and almost nothing going on but on the upside it is beautiful and very safe. Its probably the safest town in the sb, ventura area. Ventura and oxnard(lived there for a while too) there is some crime here for sure. There is almosta a stabbing either ventura or oxnard every night . if you don't believe me read the local papers. Its too bad because aside from the trashy people and vibe in ventura and oxnard it is some of the most beautiful country in california.

Sb is supposed to be safe but its way over priced, crowded and it def takes some getting used to as all the towns on the coast are not on grids at all.lol
Crime in Santa Barbara is higher than Oxnard when measured per 1,000/population. Know the facts. Just FYI.

Also beware that in Santa Barbara the gang problem is very pronounced and has its own flavor -- big groups of 15, 20, 25 "individuals" (loosely borrowing that term) brawling, fighting mid-day on State Street, at waterfront restaurants and other locations. This seems to be a Santa Barbara gang original. It doesn't happen like that in any other city in the area. Scary.

Don't mean to suggest that Santa Barbara is unsafe, only to point out that it's no MORE safe than cities in Ventura County. Generally speaking, the coastal cities in both counties are safe.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
while the crimes per capita might be more in SB than Oxnard the types of crimes in oxnard are a little more severe. I lived in the north bay area for a while and to the day feel safer walking through certain areas in oakland than the same type of areas in Oxnard. It doesn't matter the amount of people to crimes the fact is there are more crimes in Oxnard and ventura than SB and carp, regardless of the reason, people moving there should be aware. You really do need to be carefull and try not to make things worse like walking around town where ever you are past 12. There have been quite a bit of stabbings lately down around port huneme.

Just go to google news and type in what towns you are concerned about. Even better call the sherrifs department of the town or city you would like to move to . Ask them abou the safe and undafe areas to be, I have always done this and have found it to be helpful. If you have a family it can be a major concern more than it would be a young single person.

Just sharing my experience. But you will find out for yourself. The country and views are pretty but there is another element to the area as well people need to have some street smarts about.

just my .02 cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County