Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if Vermont has any good ghost stories or haunted houses? I have heard of a lot of haunted places in New England, but I havent heard of anything being in Vermont. I love to read ghost stories, and hear about peoples experiences with the supernatual. I love the show Ghost Hunters on the Sci Fi channel. In Calif, we have the Winchester House, the Queen Mary, The Whaley House and some ghost towns. The Winchester House has a weird vibe about it. It is fun to walk through. Stairs that lead no where, doors that open to the outside from 2 stories up. The littlest stair case I have ever been on, the stairs are so small and close together. I guess Sara Winchester was like 4 feet 8 or something like that...any who, I thought it would be fun to see what all of you had to say on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
There are great books in the local stores about Vermont hauntings
Vermauntings ?
I like to read scary stories by a local writer named R. Cintron(sp).
They are not going to win any literary awards but they are interesting
because they do capture the flavor of Vermont and its cool to see stuff
written about places you've been. You find yourself turning pages, and
thats all that counts, right !?
Real story......hold on to yer knickers !!
We bought an original Proctor house( deeded to Emily Poctor) and my
Wife swears its haunted. She lived in it by herself for a while before
I got up here and told me that everyday about 1/2 hour after she got in
from work the smell of chocolate chip cookies would waft through the
house. When I got up here, I had to do work on the basement. For
the sake of brevity, all I can say is **something** played games
with the locks on the doors. Really ! Thats all I want to say
here...But some spooksquatch had a very impish sense of humor

Heres the gorgeous Wilson Castle about 3 miles from my house :

http://www.rutlandhampton.com/Pictures/roadshot.jpg (broken link)

The tour guides always tell a few stories of ghosts who still live
there....apparantly the the maids have a hard time keeping up
with the ghosts who enjoy messing up the beds.

Big shout-out to Annies Book Stop in Rutland for fighting "tHe MaN"
and supporting local writers !!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
There are great books in the local stores about Vermont hauntings
Vermauntings ?
I like to read scary stories by a local writer named R. Cintron(sp).
They are not going to win any literary awards but they are interesting
because they do capture the flavor of Vermont and its cool to see stuff
written about places you've been. You find yourself turning pages, and
thats all that counts, right !?
Real story......hold on to yer knickers !!
We bought an original Proctor house( deeded to Emily Poctor) and my
Wife swears its haunted. She lived in it by herself for a while before
I got up here and told me that everyday about 1/2 hour after she got in
from work the smell of chocolate chip cookies would waft through the
house. When I got up here, I had to do work on the basement. For
the sake of brevity, all I can say is **something** played games
with the locks on the doors. Really ! Thats all I want to say
here...But some spooksquatch had a very impish sense of humor

Big shout-out to Annies Book Stop in Rutland for fighting "tHe MaN"
and supporting local writers !!

KoZmiC NinJa, great story!! That is why my husband doesnt want to buy a really old house. He says with our luck we will get one that is haunted. Haha. He is a big chicken when it comes to ghosts I am fascinated by the subject. Thanks for the tips about the books

Old 06-21-2007, 06:19 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
As Kozmic said, there have been quite a few books written about ghosts in VT & New England. Do a search on Amazon and that should bring some up for you.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 PM

36 posts, read 206,588 times
Joseph Citro is a local author who has written several fiction and non fiction books.
This site lists his books:
Joseph A Citro

And here is a site with listing of reported Vermont hauntings:
Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Vermont

Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Last night on TAPS, on the Sci Fi channel, they had a "haunted house" in Rutland. I am not sure if it was Rutland, Vermont, I came in late to the show. But the ghost hunters did capture some sounds, and the water in the bathroom turned on all by itself. Lol

Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
Hi, I believe there is also a story about Emily's bridge in VT..if that is incorrect, post back and I will look for the correct name...check it out!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
I wrote the following in another thread about Vermont but thought you might find it helpful. I couldn't figure out how to link to the specific post so I just copy & pasted:

Unique Vermont Things That Could Kill or Scare You Out Of Your Wits

- Champ

The most famous of American lake monsters. Champ has never been known to kill anyone but one might overturn your boat as he's about 25-35 feet long. It is illegal to kill a Champ as it's protected as an endangered species by both Vermont and New York.

- Memphre

Champ's lesser-known cousin from Lake Memphremagog.

- Pigman

From the Devil's Washbowl comes pigman. Originally seen only around Northfield, pigman appears to get around, being reported now in areas outside of Northfield.

- Glastenbery Mountain

Just as creepy as its Britannic namessake. People disappear in the area of Glastenbery and are never seen again. Strange lights, bigfoots, and murders. Even the native Americans thought the place was haunted. Enjoy it from a distance.

- Grave of Mr. Timothy Clark

Mr. Clark passed away in 1893 but you can still see him... and he can see you. He's over in New Haven Cemetary. Mr. Clark worried about being buried alive and so ordered a window installed on his crypt so he could get out in case he awakened one day... or night. The glass is still intact.... so far.

- Emily's Bridge

Poor Emily. Emily was a local Stowe girl who was in love with a man of whom her parents did not approve. So one night Emily and her lover plotted to elope and he promised to meet her late at night at the covered bridge in Stowe. The cad jilted Emily and she was so distraught she jumped from the bridge and drowned. Be careful driving over it late at night. Emily has a tendency to scream for help and even claw your car with her fingernails though usually she's just an odd whitish blob or disembodied head. Unlike many ghosts, Emily has become more... vicious... as time has passed.

- The White River at Hartford

The winter of 1887 was cold, evil cold. Even the oldest residents hadn't recalled a winter so cold. And into that cold, in the dead of a Februrary night, came the Montreal Express. The train carried 78 people, most sleeping, but a few talking quietly to each other. As the train approached Hartford there was a sudden great creaking sound and then the train lurched. People were thrown from their berths as they realized the train was hurtling downward, into the frozen White River. The people of the town were roused and, to their great credit, 40 people were saved, but 38 had been either crushed, drowned, or burned alive.

People in Hartford avoid that section of road near the failed trestle late at night. Probably just as well since the few who have rallied their courage to go out have come back in shock. The smell of burning wood, a ghostly railman, and a small boy who materializes just above the river as if standing on the ice, have been just some of the apparitions. But what really sobers even the hardest soul are the shouts for help, the wailing and screaming, as if those lost that night are reliving their greatest tragedy.

These are just some of the most famous, there are other things all over Vermont. Haunted springs, dinosaur fossils, sightings of dinosaurs themselves, even the oldest Devonian coral shelf in the world. And the people! Spiritualists, witches, spies, battlegrounds, and old people put into coffins and placed in caves for winter hibernation. Vermont is a very interesting place.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Wasnt there also something called the Bennington Triangle? I think some hikers dissapeared and there was no sign of them ever. Has anyone heard of this?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Yes, that area is centered on Glastenbury.

There's a blog devoted to it (broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont