Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 12:36 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times

Advertisements

Calvert road is to expand to link it to the metro? How? That's great that the Quality Inn will be replaced. I wish they were building townhomes and not apartments but they're looking for density. I also hope they build bike paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
Now just hope the CP shopping center gets their sh*t together and plans a complete overhaul/redevelopment of that property. So much wasted space with that surface lot.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:29 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Sounds interesting. It will be great to see how that evolves
Those renderings are completely different than the ones I have been posting from the JBG site. The article is right. That's a quite audacious project. Skywalk and everything. Groundbreaking in 2018 makes me nervous. I wish they were breaking ground next year. We ll know how East Campus kept getting delayed and delayed. Anything can happen in two years.

I went by Howard University today. They have a Barnes & Noble. Catholic University also has a Barnes & Noble. Come on UMD. We can't be the step child of area universities.

I will admit, I'm excited about the grocery store. A "high-end" grocery tenant. Dean & Deluca? Balduccis? I'll pass on Trader Joes. I went to Springfield Plaza in Springfield, VA. They are in the same shopping center as a check cashing place, Popeyes, two dollar stores, and a K-Mart. Yeah, real swanky location. They suck in my book now.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 05-12-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM

15 posts, read 20,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Those renderings are completely different than the ones I have been posting from the JBG site. The article is right. That's a quite audacious project. Skywalk and everything. Groundbreaking in 2018 makes me nervous. I wish they were breaking ground next year. We ll know how East Campus kept getting delayed and delayed. Anything can happen in two years.

I went by Howard University today. They have a Barnes & Noble. Catholic University also has a Barnes & Noble. Come on UMD. We can't be the step child of area universities.

I will admit, I'm excited about the grocery store. A "high-end" grocery tenant. Dean & Deluca? Balduccis? I'll pass on Trader Joes. I went to Springfield Plaza in Springfield, VA. They are in the same shopping center as a check cashing place, Popeyes, two dollar stores, and a K-Mart. Yeah, real swanky location. They suck in my book now.
Only other "high-end" grocer I can think of is Harris teeter maybe?

Old 05-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Calvert road is to expand to link it to the metro? How? That's great that the Quality Inn will be replaced. I wish they were building townhomes and not apartments but they're looking for density. I also hope they build bike paths.
THey are splitting the properties up into two with an extension of Calvert Road connecting to Gulliford behind the project. Therefore you can take Gulliford to Calvert and go directly to the metro.

Downtown College Park needs density. There will be townhomes at Riverdale Park station. Also, there is plenty housing stock in the immediate area. Also, townhomes will be built at 193 on Rt. 1 in the new project across the street from the Metropolitan project.

I'm pretty sure there will be bike paths with the new bike share in town and all. Especially if there is a direct route from this mini-town center.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 05-12-2016 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtjones82 View Post
Only other "high-end" grocer I can think of is Harris teeter maybe?
Harris Teeter is not high end at all. Harris Teeter is just new to this area. They are all over North Carolina where my wife is from and down there they are just like Safeway and Giant up here. Nothing really to get excited about. I'm more interested in a boutique-ish store where you can find specialty items not found in your ordinary grocery store. That's high end to me which is why I mentioned Balduccis. But I know that's a pipe dream. The only ones in the area are in Bethesda, McLean, and Alexandria.

I'm hoping the retail brokers are a little more creative than we are. Who knows. The presence of Whole Foods has caused some pretty interesting retail to follow.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
THey are splitting the properties up into two with an extension of Calvert Road connecting to Gulliford behind the project. Therefore you can take Gulliford to Calvert and go directly to the metro.

Downtown College Park needs density. There will be townhomes at Riverdale Park station. Also, there is plenty housing stock in the immediate area. Also, townhomes will be built at 193 on Rt. 1 in the new project across the street from the Metropolitan project.

I'm pretty sure there will be bike paths with the new bike share in town and all. Especially if there is a direct route from this mini-town center.

Is that the skywalk part? Guilford is a quiet road w/older homes and a public park. I gather people in the neighborhood may not want that traffic since Guilford is only 2 blocks from the metro

They probably are not breaking ground because it's going to affect homeowners and not just businesses the way the other developments have.

UMD and college park has been talking about increasing bike access so they likely want a bike path from one side of baltimore avenue to the other

Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:

I think it might have to be a TJs. Is this super market supposed to appeal to the students as well? Bc then DD & Balduccis's might have a harder tie in.

Now about the townhomes....in the back of the Quality Inn there are apartment buildings. Is it student housing? And on the road between university park and calvert hills going north bound there are also old apartment buildings. Those could be turned into townhomes and high end apartments. Then the devt would really start as soon as you turn of Rhode Island Ave onto Baltimore Ave.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Ooooo I see. The other side of Guilford where the Quality Inn is now will connect with the new extension of Calvert Road to the metro.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
At a guess, I'd say the most likely upscale grocery store is probably The Fresh Market.

They currently have about 200 locations mostly in the S.E. They have four in Md, at least two of which, are former Whole Foods locations, and just a few blocks from new improved WF's. They're not afraid to go right next to WF, after WF have moved out. They are neither as pricey or upscale as WF, but have upped their expansion rate since they went public a few years ago.
Wonder if that is playing a part in WF's slow slow walk into Riverdale. That store has been ready for build out for over a year, and nothing happening. The newer store will likely be a lot more convenient to a lot more of a better demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland