Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
At a guess, I'd say the most likely upscale grocery store is probably The Fresh Market.

They currently have about 200 locations mostly in the S.E. They have four in Md, at least two of which, are former Whole Foods locations, and just a few blocks from new improved WF's. They're not afraid to go right next to WF, after WF have moved out. They are neither as pricey or upscale as WF, but have upped their expansion rate since they went public a few years ago.
Wonder if that is playing a part in WF's slow slow walk into Riverdale. That store has been ready for build out for over a year, and nothing happening. The newer store will likely be a lot more convenient to a lot more of a better demographic.

I'm not sure why they'd have two high end grocers and restaurants within half a mile of one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
At a guess, I'd say the most likely upscale grocery store is probably The Fresh Market.

They currently have about 200 locations mostly in the S.E. They have four in Md, at least two of which, are former Whole Foods locations, and just a few blocks from new improved WF's. They're not afraid to go right next to WF, after WF have moved out. They are neither as pricey or upscale as WF, but have upped their expansion rate since they went public a few years ago.
Wonder if that is playing a part in WF's slow slow walk into Riverdale. That store has been ready for build out for over a year, and nothing happening. The newer store will likely be a lot more convenient to a lot more of a better demographic.
I have been to the Fresh Market in Rockville. Very unique place. Dark wood. Antique decorations like Cracker Barrel. I guess that would be okay.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
I'm not sure why they'd have two high end grocers and restaurants within half a mile of one another.
High end anchors draw other upscale to high end retail. It's the difference between what Shop-n-Save draws and a Whole Foods paired with Harris Teeter or Fresh Market and the potential upscale retail they draw. We can already see the beneifts of having a Whole Foods down the street. Rt. 1 from Hyattsville clear up to Laurel has never seen the likes of a Burton's Grill, Kapnos Taverna, or a Hyatt House.

Add another high-end grocer to the mix and other retailers follow. Especially if they are clustered within a two mile stretch. That really sells a neighborhood and its market power. Whether the area can follow through with the spending power remains to be seen. But this area seems to be shaping up to be a regional and not just a local draw.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
High end anchors draw other upscale to high end retail. It's the difference between what Shop-n-Save draws and a Whole Foods paired with Harris Teeter or Fresh Market and the potential upscale retail they draw. We can already see the beneifts of having a Whole Foods down the street. Rt. 1 from Hyattsville clear up to Laurel has never seen the likes of a Burton's Grill, Kapnos Taverna, or a Hyatt House.

Add another high-end grocer to the mix and other retailers follow. Especially if they are clustered within a two mile stretch. That really sells a neighborhood and its market power. Whether the area can follow through with the spending power remains to be seen. But this area seems to be shaping up to be a regional and not just a local draw.

Regional how?

Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM

39 posts, read 49,657 times
Quote:
Regional how?

When the university entered the big ten it opened the door to regional appeal. With Ohio State , Penn State , Michigan, Michigan State , Iowa , Indiana , Wisconsin , Nebraska , Minnesota , Illinois , New Jersey .. Coming to town for big ten football and basketball every year , you have synergy. The new purple line , the green line , milkboy concert venue, huge 4 star hotel and conference center, the Iribe (oculus rift) computer science center and massive Cole project ( the countries finest training / entrepreneurial/ sports medicine project , original Ledos , fishnet, marathon deli , Elizabeth Arden spa , whole foods , top ranked men's and women's lacrosse and basketball , Olympic quality sports facilities open to the public , the countries first airport , ice rinks , the DMV s finest tennis facility , the national archives , the Phillips collection , the clarice performing arts facility , the Comcast center , installations of NASA , NOAA , FDA , USDA , Homeland Security , the American physics institute , Raytheon .

It's regional

Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terplandlord View Post
When the university entered the big ten it opened the door to regional appeal. With Ohio State , Penn State , Michigan, Michigan State , Iowa , Indiana , Wisconsin , Nebraska , Minnesota , Illinois , New Jersey .. Coming to town for big ten football and basketball every year , you have synergy. The new purple line , the green line , milkboy concert venue, huge 4 star hotel and conference center, the Iribe (oculus rift) computer science center and massive Cole project ( the countries finest training / entrepreneurial/ sports medicine project , original Ledos , fishnet, marathon deli , Elizabeth Arden spa , whole foods , top ranked men's and women's lacrosse and basketball , Olympic quality sports facilities open to the public , the countries first airport , ice rinks , the DMV s finest tennis facility , the national archives , the Phillips collection , the clarice performing arts facility , the Comcast center , installations of NASA , NOAA , FDA , USDA , Homeland Security , the American physics institute , Raytheon .

It's regional
What you said but also, regional means something that people are willing to drive great distances for or leave their on areas for. Rt. 1 will have arts, entertainment, and a Whole Foods. I know my family drives to Whole Foods in Silver Spring. Silver Spring is a regional draw. It draws in people from other areas.

You are correct to add in those other attractions that I never thought of including.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Quote:
Proximity is not the issue, rather the issue is can the local market support 2+. Rockville Pike has 5 in a matter of 3-4 blocks. WF, FM, TJ, HT, and what used to be, maybe still is, called the "Gourmet Giant".

Laurel has 3 side by side that you don't even need to go out on R1 to connect with, plus a fourth about half a mile south on R1. Granted, they don't qualify as upscale, less you count HT, and I suspect the Safeway is not long for this world. It's by far the weakest.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:20 PM

More supermarket news.

Two local Safeway's set to close in July. Seat Pleasant and Rockville. While TJ is looking to open 2nd Rockville location at Travillah.

Since they merged last year Safeway have closed 100+ stores in western sates. Wouldn't be surprised to see the focus turn east.

I've never been a fan of Safeway. The two newest I've been in, Hyattsville and the rebuilt Croom, are abysmal. Not nearly as attractive as Arundel Mills which opened maybe 10 years ago. Both new Safeway's use as their primary lighting, old style long fluorescent tubes.......in 2016!

GE has already announced that it is discontinuing production of the newer CFL's in favor of LED.

Aldi are now asking for ZIP codes at the checkout. Trying to get a jump on Lidl?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:25 PM

Noticed that one of the partners in the Quality Inn deal was the "newly formed" Willard Retail Group, and wondered about them.

Quote:
About Willard Retail

Willard Retail is a private real estate investment management firm based in Chevy Chase, MD and founded in 2016 by partners of JBGR Retail. Willard Retail delivers a depth of free-standing and mixed-use retail development experience with creativity and fresh thinking. The company’s focus is on urban and suburban in-fill investments within the Mid-Atlantic that involve great retail. We turn our retail vision into reality by identifying opportunities and matching these opportunities to the needs of the market. We bring the experience to create profitable and enduring properties.
Maybe it's just partial name coincidence but I wonder if they have any connection to this outfit. Willard Bishop grocery industry consultants. I suspect not, but thought I'd pass it along in case someone knows different.
I think the Md Willard is so named for it's street address.

https://www.iddba.org/pdfs/wis/The-F...iling-2015.pdf

Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terplandlord View Post

It's regional

Well some of those things are not regional in appeal. Why is the BIG 10 so different from the ACC? UNC has a wonderful college town. Duke....not to much. Idk if IA that conference is what is making the difference here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland