Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's taking it away too far. I think the folks down in N'Awlins would beg to differ.
Well to be fair he/she is saying that its something most cities can't claim not exactly saying that DC is the ONLY city that can make the claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
That's taking it away too far. I think the folks down in N'Awlins would beg to differ.

I said an argument could be made. Also, DC's culture is further from the norm than New Orleans culture IMO. The key is that DC's local music and local clothing is more popular in the city than main stream clothes and music. New Orleans listens to rap 1st which is what the rest of the country listens too. GoGo is king in DC. Can you name another city nationwide that can say that the music they listen to is not the #1 form of music in any other city nationwide? DC is just on another level in the unique department and is almost a different country when comparing the black culture here to the rest of the nation.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I said an argument could be made. Also, DC's culture is further from the norm than New Orleans culture IMO. The key is that DC's local music and local clothing is more popular in the city than main stream clothes and music. New Orleans listens to rap 1st which is what the rest of the country listens too. GoGo is king in DC. Can you name another city nationwide that can say that the music they listen to is not the #1 form of music in any other city nationwide? DC is just on another level in the unique department and is almost a different country when comparing the black culture here to the rest of the nation.
Zydeco and Mardi Gras are pretty unique, no?

New Orleans has the most distinguishable culture in the nation, imo, and it has the proudest residents. Even prouder than New Yorkers, yes. The people I know from New Orleans think civilization ends at the Mississippi river and abhor the idea of living anywhere else permanently. It is the birthplace of the most truly unique American musical art form after all. They have their own cuisine, their own legal code, and their own vernacular, much of it imbued with French. Really, I don't think any city comes close to New Orleans in this category.

And I'm sure if you go out to L.A., all of the kids will say that the blacks out there have the most unique culture with Chucks, Bs & C's, and crumpin, clownin' and crip walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhhXyBCnZ_M

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-09-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm sorry, but that is just false. New Orlean's is WAY more unique. Aside from listening to a particular type of music, there's really little difference from other cities (unless you get into this region being a professional black mecca similar but not quite equaling Atlanta)

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Zydeco and Mardi Gras are pretty unique, no?

New Orleans has the most distinguishable culture in the nation, imo, and it has the proudest residents. Even prouder than New Yorkers, yes. The people I know from New Orleans think civilization ends at the Mississippi river and abhor the idea of living anywhere else permanently. It is the birthplace of the most truly unique American musical art form after all. They have their own cuisine, their own legal code, and their own vernacular, much of it imbued with French. Really, I don't think any city comes close to New Orleans in this category.

And I'm sure if you go out to L.A., all of the kids will say that the blacks out there have the most unique culture with Chucks, Bs & C's, and crumpin, clownin' and crip walking.

‪crump battle‬‏ - YouTube
The main point I was making is the subcultural music in every city except DC including New Orleans is not the main culture. DC is the only city where their local music is the most popular music in the city. Artists nationwide will tell you DC is the only city with that dynamic. DC is also the only city that had it's own local fashion from local boutiques. Name another city where local boutique clothing dominated the fashion of the city instead of national brands.

DC Music = GoGo end of story. Wale ingeniously rapped over sampled GoGo music to win DC becoming the first rapper to do so ever. A rapper can't make it nationally without first winning his or her city and Wale figured out how to break through the GoGo steal wall.

DC Fashion = Shooters Sport, Solbiato, HOBO, Madness, City Life etc. Russel Simmons got all his ideas for urban gear by studying DC's booming local urban fashion brands. (this is one catagory that is now losing to national brands in 2011 unlike the past decades)

DC Dancing = Every dance move in DC is related to the beat of GoGo. Beat your Feet, Chop, Hee Haw etc. Also, black women dance different in DC than other cities because of the GoGo subculture which even National Rapper ludacris has mentioned.

DC Food = Chicken and Mambo Sauce would be the only food DC has that no other city has in the nation.

At the end of the day, DC is very unique and New Orleans is very unique. The difference is most non African American people don't venture into the neighborhoods of DC and Maryland where the local culture resides. Can't experience something if you have never been there.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
I agree that the black side of the culture is overlooked but I think dc character is defined by being transient. I know that might not make a lot of sense but what other part of the country could you find such a large mix of people that range from dirt poor to flithy rich. Dc has a culture of accepting other cultures and to me that makes it unique. You're probably not going to see carribean festivals in boston (that I know of). There's not a huge difference culturally between new york and dc other than new york residents tend to stay longer. Both have a melting pot, unique food, unique music and are shaped by the perception across the globe.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I agree with Bajan that NO's culture is more distinguishable. And if it wasn't for people like me and MD Allstar, most of the people on this forum would not know a lot about DC. They think they do but in reality, DC is a city made up of different faces. Most of you have no clue about the real DC.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I agree that the black side of the culture is overlooked but I think dc character is defined by being transient. I know that might not make a lot of sense but what other part of the country could you find such a large mix of people that range from dirt poor to flithy rich.
Uhh...Manhattan. Manhattan is also as transient, if not more, than DC.

Quote:
Dc has a culture of accepting other cultures and to me that makes it unique. You're probably not going to see carribean festivals in boston (that I know of).
Boston Carnival is pretty good, actually. There's a larger Caribbean population up there than down here.

‪Boston Carnival 2010‬‏ - YouTube

Quote:
There's not a huge difference culturally between new york and dc other than new york residents tend to stay longer. Both have a melting pot, unique food, unique music and are shaped by the perception across the globe.
I think New Yorkers and Washingtonians would beg to differ.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Uhh...Manhattan. Manhattan is also as transient, if not more, than DC.

Boston Carnival is pretty good, actually. There's a larger Caribbean population up there than down here.

‪Boston Carnival 2010‬‏ - YouTube

I think New Yorkers and Washingtonians would beg to differ.
I okay you got me with the carnival thing, but my point isn't to say that New York and Washington are the same, but that they are similar with the acceptance of other cultures. That's my point.

And as far as the Caribbean population being bigger, show me the proof.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Boston barely has any black people period. The DC metro area has way more caribbean people than Boston. I don't really think Boston has more of any race than DC other than white people. Boston is the least diverse major metro area in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC