Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Your last statement is just ignorant. Washington, DC is in the South (whether you want to admit it or not), and as such, it's going to have a lot of black people.
This is highly debatable. DC is in the South according to what/who?

Quote:
But the city of Boston is ridiculously diverse. Every country on the map is represented in just about every public school. There are no schools in the entire DC Metro area (or within 200 miles of the DC Metro area) that are anywhere near as diverse as Cambridge Ringe and Latin or East Boston HS.
I really doubted this. Diverse as in what? ethnicity? I don't know much about Boston outside of sports so I did some browsing for entertainment. The East Boston HS is majority hispanic at 60% (East Boston High School) while Cambridge Rindge is a good mix (40% AA, 34% whites, 15% hispanic, 8% asian) http://www.city-data.com/school/camb...-latin-ma.html, but it's nowhere near the almost dead even split between the four major groups (29% AA, 26% whites, 28% hispanics, 18% asians) at Montgomery Blair in SS. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d...ools/04757.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:39 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
This is highly debatable. DC is in the South according to what/who?
According to history. There's a reason why Maryland is approximately a quarter African American and Vermont is not. And that's because the state was a large slave-holding state much like Virginia and South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
I really doubted this. Diverse as in what? ethnicity? I don't know much about Boston outside of sports so I did some browsing for entertainment. The East Boston HS is majority hispanic at 60% (East Boston High School) while Cambridge Rindge is a good mix (40% AA, 34% whites, 15% hispanic, 8% asian) http://www.city-data.com/school/camb...-latin-ma.html, but it's nowhere near the almost dead even split between the four major groups (29% AA, 26% whites, 28% hispanics, 18% asians) at Montgomery Blair in SS. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d...ools/04757.pdf
The DC area has a largely Central and South American Hispanic population (very few Mexicans, though). The Puerto Rican and Dominican populations in the DC area are virtually non-existent. At East Boston (or "Eastie" as the kids call it), you have Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Bolivians, Mexicans, and a very sizable Puerto Rican and Dominican population. So it's a more diverse Hispanic population, for one. The Black population is not as "African American" as it is here. It's more of a mixture of West Indian and West African immigrants. In DC, the average black kid's parents are from somewhere in South Carolina. In Boston, the average black kid's parents are more likely to be from Guyana or Togo. And EBHS has a very ethnic white population that consists of Lithuanians and a lot of Eastern Europeans. You're not going to find that in Montgomery County, which more or less has just regular white people.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
According to history. There's a reason why Maryland is approximately a quarter African American and Vermont is not. And that's because the state was a large slave-holding state much like Virginia and South Carolina.

The DC area has a largely Central and South American Hispanic population (very few Mexicans, though). The Puerto Rican and Dominican populations in the DC area are virtually non-existent. At East Boston (or "Eastie" as the kids call it), you have Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Bolivians, Mexicans, and a very sizable Puerto Rican and Dominican population. So it's a more diverse Hispanic population, for one. The Black population is not as "African American" as it is here. It's more of a mixture of West Indian and West African immigrants. In DC, the average black kid's parents are from somewhere in South Carolina. In Boston, the average black kid's parents are more likely to be from Guyana or Togo. And EBHS has a very ethnic white population that consists of Lithuanians and a lot of Eastern Europeans. You're not going to find that in Montgomery County, which more or less has just regular white people.

At the end of the day, people associate Boston with white people. That is the view people have of it. What do you expect with over 4 million people in Boston and of those 4 million people only 300,000 are black and about 350,000 are Hispanic with about 250,000 asians. Pretty sad and they should work on that.....just saying.

Having a conversation about diversity with Boston as a topic is an oxymoron and really doesn't show Boston in a great light.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
At the end of the day, people associate Boston with white people. That is the view people have of it. What do you expect with over 4 million people and of those 4 million people only 300,000 are black and about 350,000 are Hispanic. Pretty sad.....

Having a conversation about diversity with Boston as a topic is an oxymoron.
At the end of the day, people associate DC with the Monuments, Congress and Ivy League-educated yuppies who filter through the city like a revolving door in Grand Central Station. That is the view people have of it. What do you expect with a Metro area of 4 million people and of those 4 million people roughly 1.25 million are black and all share a monolithic culture? Pretty sad.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
At the end of the day, people associate DC with the Monuments, Congress and Ivy League-educated yuppies who filter through the city like a revolving door in Grand Central Station. That is the view people have of it. What do you expect with a Metro area of 4 million people and of those 4 million people roughly 1.25 million are black and all share a monolithic culture? Pretty sad.
You're welcome to move if you don't like it here. By the way, DC has 5.6 million people and growing. The diversity and weather is the reason I personally would never consider living in Boston. But to each his own and many people love Boston and call it home. It's just not for me. What brought you to DC by the way? Do you plan on returning to Boston?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
You're welcome to move if you don't like it here. By the way, DC has 5.6 million people and growing. The diversity and weather is the reason I personally would never consider living in Boston. But to each his own and many people love Boston and call it home. It's just not for me. What brought you to DC by the way? Do you plan on returning to Boston?
My point is that you're engaging in the same stereotyping you always complain about when it comes to DC. How are you gonna say, "Man, people don't know the REAL DC!" and then turn around and make a statement like "People associate Boston with white people." It's not like most Americans hear Washington, DC and instantly think Chuck Brown, Adams-Morgan and Ethiopian food. They think of the White House, the Monuments, and that's it. I would not be surprised if 75% of Americans weren't even aware that DC is a majority black city. At any rate, you shouldn't buy into stereotypes in the first place, right?

I came to DC for work. I will never return to Boston. I didn't like the vibe. There aren't enough professional opportunities for minorities there. But that fact doesn't detract from the city's cultural offerings.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
My point is that you're engaging in the same stereotyping you always complain about when it comes to DC. How are you gonna say, "Man, people don't know the REAL DC!" and then turn around and make a statement like "People associate Boston with white people." It's not like most Americans hear Washington, DC and instantly think Chuck Brown, Adams-Morgan and Ethiopian food. They think of the White House, the Monuments, and that's it. I would not be surprised if 75% of Americans weren't even aware that DC is a majority black city. At any rate, you shouldn't buy into stereotypes in the first place, right?

I came to DC for work. I will never return to Boston. I didn't like the vibe. There aren't enough professional opportunities for minorities there. But that fact doesn't detract from the city's cultural offerings.
Well welcome to DC and hopefully you learn to love it here.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well welcome to DC and hopefully you learn to love it here.
I've been here for quite some time and I have a lot of family here. It's not like I'm really new to it. My grandather worked at Howard. My parents met at Howard and lived here briefly. My sister was born here. So I'd probably consider DC my second home after Philly.

I like DC. People only think I'm hating when I make factual statements about the city they don't like.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
Quote:
So a bunch of former slaves moved up to Chicago too, does that make it a southern city?? c'mon man regardless of what the history and geography books say, anyone truly born & raised in the South would laugh at you claiming DC of today is part of the South. It's debatable and I think there was a huge topic in the forum somewhere on it already.
Quote:
ok so what you meant to say was no school in the area is as diverse in the hispanic/eastern european populations, not diverse overall. I can flip it around and say what about the larger population of korean americans in the DC area? what about the larger filipino population? didn't even mention all the african countries here too. The way I see it, both metro areas have their select groups so to try and nitpick is pointless to me.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
As of last year's census when the black population dipped below 50%, that's no longer true.

Just curious - shouldn't people associate their capital primarily with the functions of the government that run their country rather than a genre of music or type of food? There are no shortage of ethnic enclaves (many of them European) throughout New York City, but in the end most people associate it with its big industry Wall Street for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC