Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ok....so lets break this down a bit. Cultural identity of a city is defined by the majority. Does everyone participate in everything? No. Does everyone enjoy the same activities? No. The problem here is the majority of people complaining about DC are not attracted to the black culture here. How many people would say Mexico city has no character? The issue is people in this country don't consider black culture character in any city in this country much less DC. Character has to be a long established scene.
Actually, you're wrong. The U Street culture of the early 20th century emerged when DC was predominantly white. The Jewish culture of NYC is far from a majority but has made a major contribution to the city's overall cultural identity. The notion that culture is defined by white people is a pretty odd assertion, too. Seems everywhere they go they're accused of destroying culture or being void of it (see Arlington). I'd say black cultures often define an area when there*s a sizable black population present (not necessarily majority) that chooses to identify by race. Just look at Atlanta or the Mississippi Delta or the Chicago blues scene back in the day or Harlem. I don't think DC's any different.

When I paid attention today, it was funny how many black people I saw in the coffeeshop, so I guess that theory doesn't work out. Even though some of our families go back generations, you can't deny the fact that this city was built to be transient by the very nature of government. That is as much a part of this city as the people here for generations and shouldn't be treated as some foreign invader. It's been that way since the beginning here. It's one factor that makes DC rather unique, just like the contributions of black culture. Wall Street, fashion, and Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods can coexist in NYC. Why can't DC be multifaceted?

Last edited by Bluefly; 08-14-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, you're wrong. The U Street culture of the early 20th century emerged when DC was predominantly white. The Jewish culture of NYC is far from a majority but has made a major contribution to the city's overall cultural identity. The notion that culture is defined by white people is a pretty odd assertion, too. Seems everywhere they go they're accused of destroying culture or being void of it (see Arlington). I'd say black cultures are often the predominant culture defined by an area when there*s a sizable black population present (not necessarily majority) that chooses to identify by race. Just look at Atlanta or the Mississippi Delta or the Chicago blues scene back in the day or Harlem.

When I paid attention today, it was funny how many black people I saw in the coffeeshop, so I guess that theory doesn't work out. Even though some of our families go back generations, you can't deny the fact that this city was built to be transient by the very nature of government. That is as much or more a part of this city and shouldn't be treated as some foreign invader. It's been that way since the beginning here. It's one factor that makes DC rather unique.
I have never heard a white person describe New York character by Harlem. Have you heard this? They may say its where the black people are and they aren't going up there. I like coffee houses and arts but that is because Im cosmopolitan. That is a professional culture, not a city culture. We can love multiple cultures but that doesn't take away the fact that somethings are associated with certain cultures. Here's is another point, there is a huge arts scene in DC. The problem is its black and African art which may not be what many people commenting enjoy. It also may be in neighborhoods that many people don't venture into.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-14-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I have never heard a white person describe New York character by Harlem. Have you heard this? They may say its where the black people are and they aren't going up there. I like coffee houses and arts but that is because Im cosmopolitan. That is a professional culture, not a city culture. We can love multiple cultures but that doesn't take away the fact that somethings are associated with certain cultures. Here's is another point, there is a huge arts scene in DC. The problem is its black and African art which may not be what many people commenting enjoy. It also may be in neighborhoods that many people don't venture into.
Harlem's always been known to be a huge part of NYC culture. Is your goal to have all other aspects of NYC and DC eliminated so people only think of that part of it?

Are you also saying that most local black people are too provincial to like coffee shops and art that doesn't reflect their precise experience? Seems rather insulting. I don't get your argument anymore.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Harlem's always been known to be a huge part of NYC culture. Is your goal to have all other aspects of NYC and DC eliminated so people only think of that part of it?

Are you also saying that most local black people are too provincial to like coffee shops and art that doesn't reflect their precise experience? Seems rather insulting. I don't get your argument anymore.
No not at all. The offensive part is when people say DC lacks culture completely disregarding the black culture that exists here. Its funny how people go somewhere and see black people everywhere and associate it with the white collar racist code word sketchy.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 PM

207 posts, read 537,460 times
I want to comment so badly on certain points but I believe in a certain level of solidarity. Again, my perception of DC equals what queenswake spoke of, but Im an outsider with only one year here. I do not know enough I admit. Over all DC is the true meaning of a "metropolis." I'm shutting up for real now cause I need to. LOL

Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No not at all. The offensive part is when people say DC lacks culture completely disregarding the black culture that exists here.
Well, I agree with your sentiment on that. It just got convoluted with lot of other stuff about what black people should or shouldn't do and what locals are capable of doing.

I also agree with the above poster that there's a culture in the transience that is often overlooked. Not many places have so many people from around the world coming and going, even if it's hard to pin down.

This place is what it is and I don't think we have to choose one or the other, but you're right that we should acknowledge and even understand both sides of it. It is disturbing how many people have no concept of this city beyond the greater Dupont Circle area.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Well, I agree with your sentiment on that. It just got convoluted with lot of other stuff about what black people should or shouldn't do and what locals are capable of doing.

I also agree with the above poster that there's a culture in the transience that is often overlooked. Not many places have so many people from around the world coming and going, even if it's hard to pin down.

This place is what it is and I don't think we have to choose one or the other, but you're right that we should acknowledge and even understand both sides of it. It is disturbing how many people have no concept of this city beyond the greater Dupont Circle area.
The issues with the way people view black people is too long to discuss here and is not unique to DC anyway.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
I want to comment so badly on certain points but I believe in a certain level of solidarity. Again, my perception of DC equals what queenswake spoke of, but Im an outsider with only one year here. I do not know enough I admit. Over all DC is the true meaning of a "metropolis." I'm shutting up for real now cause I need to. LOL
Fwiw, one of the great things about the regulars on this forum is they tend to think for themselves. Not too many fall into stereotypical foxholes defending one racial cliche against another. I'd say the most thoughtful critiques often come from people addressing issues within their own race or proving that stereotypes are far from accurate. So, I wouldn't be so concerned if I were you. Your views have probably been stated previously by someone.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Fwiw, one of the great things about the regulars on this forum is they tend to think for themselves. Not too many fall into stereotypical foxholes defending one racial cliche against another. I'd say the most thoughtful critiques often come from people addressing issues within their own race or proving that stereotypes are far from accurate. So, I wouldn't be so concerned if I were you. Your views have probably been stated previously by someone.
I love how even the black people on this forum look down on the local culture here and seem to agree with those who aren't from DC becuase most black people on this forum aren't from DC themselves. Its always clear who is from here and who is not from here. They immediately show their lack of knowledge of the city and its indigenous population. Then they booster their hometown and how much better their local culture is compared to ours.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Black people don't don't do all that. We don't have coffee shops and we don't convert warehouses to lofts. You are used to cities where the white population is a strong influence. That is not culture to us. Culture is very racial and I think people are forgetting that. Maybe you should go to a GoGo or attend Unifest. DC wouldn't be the DC many of us grew up in if we did all those things. We won't be able to claim anything we currently do if we start doing all that. We are fighting for Chocolate City as it is!
To be honest I like all of that. I might be a bourgeious Black person, in your eyes. I like coffee shops. If I could afford an old warehouse, I would turn it into lofts, and market it to Black people as well as everyone else because I think Black people would like lofts if someone actually marketed lofts to them. You make it sound as though Blacks would not live in lofts; we may not have the capital to invest in decaying real estate like that, but I think there are others who would jump on the opportunity to turn a profit on one.

I like museums, plays, the opera. I like Seinfeld, Amanda Bynes, Jennifer Anniston; all of that boring White people stuff as well as traditional Black people stuff as well. I like clothing that is subdued and has quality, class, and isn't screaming logos or what designer I am wearing today. It honestly is not anyones business what designer I am wearing, and I refuse to solicit business for anyone else because that designer is not soliciting business for me. You make it sound like DC has found a creative way to reinvent what would be considered ghetto culture elsewhere and pass it off in a more sophisticated manner, and that might be the case, but I don't think all Blacks or all Black culture in DC is that way. Culture is not always racial; it is socioeconomic, intellectual, spiritual, a lot of different things, but people have different ways of expressing themselves culturally. It isn't always Black people do this, White people do that; What White People Like or What Black People Like is funny because the stereotypes ring true, but there are always exceptions.

I am sorry for the rant, but I hear so many people say that Black people do not like high rises and the same urban living that White people do. Like we are perfectly okay with single family houses, the city bus and driving everywhere like an idiot. I see this sentiment everywhere; in Detroit Black people say that no one cares about Downtown, that Downtown is just for the tourists. How ignorant does that sound, Downtown should be for everyone I know that Downtown is not the epitome of Black culture, in any city, but Blacks should be able to extend their culture into the Downtown areas. It is like we are relegated to suburban living and we have simply accepted it, and refuse to fight to live on the same terms that Whites and everyone else can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC