Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Boston barely has any black people period. The DC metro area has way more caribbean people than Boston. I don't really think Boston has more of any race than DC other than white people. Boston is the least diverse major metro area in the northeast.

................................DC Metro Area..........................Boston Metro Area

.................................Estimate......... .Margin of Error....Estimate..........Margin of Error
Total:.........................5,332,297.......... ..*****.............4,095,598.............*****

White alone.................3,050,519............+/-6,583.........3,258,890.............+/-4,966
Black alone.................1,389,120............+/-3,331..........303,102...............+/-2,939
Hispanic or Latino.........649,004...............*****........ .....348,079.................*****
American Indian alone...17,191.................+/-1,311.........7,472...................+/-726
Asian alone..................448,898...............+/-2,101.........254,967................+/-1,364
Pacific Islander alone.....4,183..................+/-597............1,684...................+/-313
Some other race alone...290,377...............+/-6,221.........188,666................+/-5,763
Two or more races........132,009...............+/-3,948..........80,817.................+/-3,091
Three or more races......24,825................+/-1,863..........14,926..................+/-1,214

****For Hispanic there is a whole other breakdown that I didn't take the time to list****

Boston is not diverse at all and wouldn't really do well up against even most tiny metro area's.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM

866 posts, read 2,629,422 times
Quote:
Boston barely has any black people period. The DC metro area has way more caribbean people than Boston. I don't really think Boston has more of any race than DC other than white people. Boston is the least diverse major metro area in the northeast.
While visiting Boston, I found it to be quite diverse. Walking through Boston common, I saw people of many different backgrounds enjoying the park, including various Asian countries. The universities and the companies based there attract people from all over the world.

Also, I grew up in Maryland and I've worked in DC for the last 3 years, yet I've never heard of go-go or mambo sauce. Is it common knowledge that these are part of DC culture?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM

866 posts, read 2,629,422 times
Quote:
................................DC Metro Area..........................Boston Metro Area

.................................Estimate......... .Margin of Error....Estimate..........Margin of Error
Total:.........................5,332,297.......... ..*****.............4,095,598.............*****

White alone.................3,050,519............+/-6,583.........3,258,890.............+/-4,966
Black alone.................1,389,120............+/-3,331..........303,102...............+/-2,939
Hispanic or Latino.........649,004...............*****........ .....348,079.................*****
American Indian alone...17,191.................+/-1,311.........7,472...................+/-726
Asian alone..................448,898...............+/-2,101.........254,967................+/-1,364
Pacific Islander alone.....4,183..................+/-597............1,684...................+/-313
Some other race alone...290,377...............+/-6,221.........188,666................+/-5,763
Two or more races........132,009...............+/-3,948..........80,817.................+/-3,091
Three or more races......24,825................+/-1,863..........14,926..................+/-1,214

****For Hispanic there is a whole other breakdown that I didn't take the time to list****

Boston is not diverse at all and wouldn't really do well up against even most tiny metro area's.

Detailed Tables - American FactFinder
Looks like the numbers refute my claim. I stand corrected, though I remember mentally noting how many different backrounds I observed in Boston.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
"character" is a word usually reserved to describe non-african american traits of a city/area. it's no surprise to me that dc follows suit. for me, a self identifying black man, dc has loads of "character" and charm but that might be because that's the dc that i get to see and experience. most of the transplants to dc (white men and women) don't really get to see that side of dc because that's not what attracts them to dc.
That's what it usually boils down to in most of these "culture/character" conversations. You have to ask the person what constitutes culture/character to them to fully understand their reasoning. Is it limited to only food and music? Does history play a role in culture?

The lady threadstarter was talking to said DC has no character and then went on to mention sports teams for an example, yet the Redskins are a more valuable franchise than the Red Sox, Patriots, or the Celtics. Lol!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,661,517 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
While visiting Boston, I found it to be quite diverse. Walking through Boston common, I saw people of many different backgrounds enjoying the park, including various Asian countries. The universities and the companies based there attract people from all over the world.

Also, I grew up in Maryland and I've worked in DC for the last 3 years, yet I've never heard of go-go or mambo sauce. Is it common knowledge that these are part of DC culture?
If ur generally not black ur a pretty cool guy to know about it but generally no its mostly to do with the cool ppl

Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post

Where in Maryland did you grow up? Baltimore is not DC but they do get 93.9 and 95.5 so it's hard to believe you have never heard GoGo before. Maybe you didn't know what it was.

This is GoGo

‪What Band - Drop It Low 5-22-10 @ Tradewinds‬‏ - YouTube

Even Wale the only DC rapper to make it raped over GoGo samples to gain popularity. Without GoGo, it's impossible to gain fame in DC as a local artist.

‪Wale-Dig Dug,Shake It‬‏ - YouTube

Mumbo Sauce is a famous sauce only found in DC that can be applied to most meats
Best Mambo (Mumbo) Sauce - Washington DC & Baltimore Area - Chowhound

Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Yet another unsupported assertion. All you had to do was use the Census Bureau's Factfinder.

Boston proper alone actually has more West Indians than the entire DC Metro area.

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

American FactFinder

This is not surprising to me in the least as I've lived in both cities and the West Indian culture seemed to be much stronger there. DC has more black people, yes. But more West Indians? No.

If we want to get technical and say "Caribbean" as opposed to West Indian, then Boston really comes out ahead. There are more Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Cubans there by far.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yet another unsupported assertion. All you had to do was use the Census Bureau's Factfinder.

Boston proper alone actually has more West Indians than the entire DC Metro area.

American FactFinder

American FactFinder

This is not surprising to me in the least as I've lived in both cities and the West Indian culture seemed to be much stronger there. DC has more black people, yes. But more West Indians? No.

If we want to get technical and say "Caribbean" as opposed to West Indian, then Boston really comes out ahead. There are more Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Cubans there by far.
Your links don't go to any race pages. Also, black people aren't broken up like Hispanic people so there is no way to tell how many black people are from the caribbean unless your only going by foreign born which isn't accurate since almost all the west Indians I know in DC were born in the US. Also, look at the top of this page and you will see Boston has no diversity. DC has 400% more black people than Boston and black people are grouped as one race other than hispanic black people. At the end of the day, there is a pretty clear consensus that Boston is a metro area mainly consisting of only white people. The facts don't lie. On a side note, DC has more Cubans than Boston.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-10-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Your links don't go to any race pages. Also, black people aren't broken up like Hispanic people so there is no way to tell how many black people are from the caribbean unless your only going by foreign born which isn't accurate since almost all the west Indians I know in DC were born in the US. Also, look at the top of this page and you will see Boston has no diversity. DC has 400% more black people than Boston and black people are grouped as one race other than hispanic black people. At the end of the day, there is a pretty clear consensus that Boston is a metro area mainly consisting of only white people. The facts don't lie. On a side note, DC has more Cubans than Boston.
The links work just fine on my computer.

There are over 37,000 West Indians in Boston proper and only 7,000 in the District of Columbia. Even when adding up all of the surrounding areas, DC Metro does not come close to Boston. Boston is very much a West Indian and Cape Verdian town.

The Census can tell you how many people are of Jamaican, Barbadian, Trini or Puerto Rican descent. The numbers for those groups are much larger in Boston.

Now DC does have a lot of Africans. But not really that many West Indians. A lot of the people you see here for carnival come from NYC, so you probably have that impression based off that alone.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM

124 posts, read 174,741 times
Before katrina, Louisiana was the only state that could claim a high percentage of native residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC