Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 05:31 PM

46 posts, read 60,648 times

Advertisements

At minimal:
-Loud Exhaust/ATVs/Modified Mufflers...None to very minimal --no more than a sum total of a few minutes a day, no more than 15 instances per day, most/all at least 1/4 mile away.
-Motorized noise/Compressors (landscaping, agricultural): No more than 3 hours per week at audible distance
-No sonic booms
-No low miltary aircraft (nothing against the military, just don't want to live under their training routes ever again)
-Minimal air traffic in general
-No distant humming noises from compressors/motors
-No train noise

Research so far:
There is relatively little flight traffic over Northern WA from North Cascades National Park to Colville National Forest. But, I also noticed there is an AF base in Spokane, so now I'm wondering over what areas they flyover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Here in Sammamish, once you get away from the main arterial traffic sounds (228th) it's very quiet. We are about 1/2 mile uphill from it, and maybe 5-6 cars go by us all day long. My game camera catches cars going by and most nights there are no cars at all from 6pm-6am. No loud exhausts, or any of the other noises you mentioned at all except for the usual lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and pressure washers, but those are not frequent, less than 3 hours per week. Also a few generators when we have a rare power outage, once or twice a year. At night it's totally silent except for the occasional hoot of an owl once in a while.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:40 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
In King County, Vashon Island can be very quiet.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:56 AM

14,487 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
At minimal:
-Loud Exhaust/ATVs/Modified Mufflers...None to very minimal --no more than a sum total of a few minutes a day, no more than 15 instances per day, most/all at least 1/4 mile away.
-Motorized noise/Compressors (landscaping, agricultural): No more than 3 hours per week at audible distance
-No sonic booms
-No low miltary aircraft (nothing against the military, just don't want to live under their training routes ever again)
-Minimal air traffic in general
-No distant humming noises from compressors/motors
-No train noise

Research so far:
There is relatively little flight traffic over Northern WA from North Cascades National Park to Colville National Forest. But, I also noticed there is an AF base in Spokane, so now I'm wondering over what areas they flyover?

Trying to measure noise with measurements of time is confusing, I think. You need to measure quietness in terms of distance.

There are lots of places in SW WA that are very remote. Look deep in the middle of the quadrant South of HW 12 and West of I-5... All the way out to the ocean. Also up on the Peninsula. There are lots of remote areas there where you may go for days without hearing other people... but you need to be in the middle of a sizeable parcel to be "sure". If you can see a road, you'll have occasional traffic on it. If you see another house, they will occasionally make noise. I live pretty remote, only one neighbor I can see from our property, our other neighbors are a thousand acres of trees and a river... but we still hear people from time to time. But only from time to time. Not daily or regularly, but when there's something happening.

Buy a big patch of timber - as big as you can afford, mark it no hunting and gate it - and build your sanctuary in the middle of it. Of course, it costs money to run wires out there if you want to be on the grid.... but success depends on how far away from other people you can get, not trying to find people who are nearby who only make predicable amounts of noise. The other people who find remote places sometimes do that because they want to enjoy their property and hunt or ride their ATV without being told they can't.

I have said before on this forum, there are two kinds of people who live out in the middle of nowhere. Those who love peace and quiet, and those who wouldn't be tolerated in town. The key to peace for both, is distance.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-16-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have said before on this forum, there are two kinds of people who live out in the middle of nowhere. Those who love peace and quiet, and those who wouldn't be tolerated in town. The key to peace for both, is distance.
Haha! Now I really GET THIS. On my street we have the "organic farmer" and a flat-out hoarder. For the unaccustomed it can be challenging to separate the two, but I suspect which of your two categories both fall under.

And I'm still unsure about my next door neighbors if I'm being frank.. he had a (non-disclosed) accident and on disability. Instead of a job he takes his cats out for short walks (on leash) about a dozen times a day. I also suspect the remainder of the day he's looking at me through one of his bedroom windows..

I don't necessarily blame him if he were... the previous owner was in the home since the early 1950's. I can only imagine how exciting and what a great curiosity it is to have me around...

There are nice, thick blinds on the side wall windows. Though I like lots of natural light I use them frequently.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:44 AM

14,487 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Haha! Now I really GET THIS. On my street we have the "organic farmer" and a flat-out hoarder. For the unaccustomed it can be challenging to separate the two, but I suspect which of your two categories both fall under.

And I'm still unsure about my next door neighbors if I'm being frank.. he had a (non-disclosed) accident and on disability. Instead of a job he takes his cats out for short walks (on leash) about a dozen times a day. I also suspect the remainder of the day he's looking at me through one of his bedroom windows..

I don't necessarily blame him if he were... the previous owner was in the home since the early 1950's. I can only imagine how exciting and what a great curiosity it is to have me around...

There are nice, thick blinds on the side wall windows. Though I like lots of natural light I use them frequently.

The one good thing people have going for them, is they ARE fascinating! Every single one of us!

Old 12-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,723 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Large acreage will not protect you from aircraft / and distant train / barge noise.

Do your research. I would look at Republic, WA area.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:51 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Stealth is right. Probably way up in the NE corner of the state in the Okanagan or Colville Reservation area around Republic. That would be the part of the state furthest away from any population centers or industry.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,723 posts, read 58,067,115 times
but... be sure to know the Boeing, Whidbey NAS, and Fairchild, ANG test / training flight routes (as is possible to know).

IIRC they utilize Ione, WA airport from some back-country / wilderness training.

We have a really quiet area at Cape Horn, WA (between PDX approaches and NOT under departure routes. ) but a neighbor only 6 miles away is always protesting PDX flight patterns / noise. We had a lot more aircraft noise in Southern Hazel Dell. (The Vancouver Lake approach to PDX)... (Freeway noise as well ~ 2 miles away each direction). Most of our surrounding land (large parcels) is bought and donated to NFS as 'set-aside' for Gorge preservation. Distant train and barge rumble on summer nights with windows open. Lifeflight copter ~ 2-3x / week. more frequent during Snow Ski Season.

Owls, Coyotes, and Bigfoot crashing around in the forest.
https://skamania.org/experience-skam...h-sightings-2/
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...rrets-bigfoot/

Old 12-17-2020, 01:32 PM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times
Avoid Whidbey Island. The sounds of freedom are all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington