Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 08:09 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
I just locked in a Corolla Cross hybrid at MSRP. 15% of local dealers had stupid markups (6k for paintless dent protection, really?).
5% had minor markups ($1k for a dash cam and pulse brake light, which I respect as free market capitalism without being predatory, and the rest have no markups but a 2-5 month wait. Those who need a car NOW either pay more than is reasonable for an older model… or above MSRP for a slightly used model… Because it is on the lot today.

Oh, and if you want certain models you can get them for significantly less than MSRP… gas only, but smaller and thus fuel sippers.

I got my car because I called all the dealerships daily and jumped on an unreserved allotment on the day it came in.
Interesting you mention the Corolla Cross hybrid. We saw one in our neighborhood and decided to test drive one at the local dealer. The first guy we spoke with didn't even know what they were. Duh. And the second sort of laughed. "We don't carry any of the new, popular Toyotas in stock." The best we could test drive was a few year old Rav4 that felt much more dated. And it was priced above $30k. What a joke. We have an older Rav4 and were not impressed.

I would imagine some of the larger dealerships might get in and keep inventory to at least be able to test drive them. But these guys basically said the only option was to get on a waiting list and stand in line all before even test driving one. No thanks. We ended up driving and really liking the Kia Sportage Hybrid which we were able to negotiate down from MSRP. Most didn't want to budge since they were flying off the trucks.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
If it's any consolation, we still have lower bridge tolls than SF. Even 520 at peak traffic is just $5.40, and as little as $1.25 at other low traffic times. They are in the process of a rate increase on seven Bay Area bridges from $7 to $8.50. The Golden Gate bridge is already at $8.80.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/06/...other-transit/

Old 06-27-2023, 10:03 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
High fuel prices impact cost of goods and services locally, of course, but as far as my direct purchase of gasoline, this barely impacts me. I own a car but drive only occasionally. Living in the center city, I mostly walk or take a bus.
Yes. And clearly, it's people like you that Inslee only seems to be able to think about.

"It's easy! Just take the bus! Or buy an electric car! There's plenty of chargers in downtown Seattle! What else could you possibly need?"

Well, for us cavemen that live in rural Eastern WA, there are literally no EV chargers and no public transport, and neither of those are set to happen for years, if ever.

Of course, that doesn't matter to the democratic majority, since they have plenty of votes from Seattle proper.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Of course, that doesn't matter to the democratic majority, since they have plenty of votes from Seattle proper.
Wait, there is more to WA than Seattle metro (who would have thought?) (one of the 'other' 36 counties in voter minority) It only takes (3) counties to control what happens in WA state.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yes. And clearly, it's people like you that Inslee only seems to be able to think about.

"It's easy! Just take the bus! Or buy an electric car! There's plenty of chargers in downtown Seattle! What else could you possibly need?"

Well, for us cavemen that live in rural Eastern WA, there are literally no EV chargers and no public transport, and neither of those are set to happen for years, if ever.

That sounds like a you problem. I grew up extremely rural and we were proud to be self-sufficient. I don't know what has happened to Americans over the past 20 years. It seems like all folks can figure out how to do is whine and *****.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:36 PM

1,369 posts, read 715,187 times
It’s certainly justifiable to worry about a future where viable transportation (I.e. not 100% electric) is no longer available. I could buy electric but I don’t think we are there yet.
However, by 2035, we may well be. That’s when the law kicks in and it can easily be extended or amended to reflect technology and infrastructure as it develops as of 2032.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
It’s certainly justifiable to worry about a future where viable transportation (I.e. not 100% electric) is no longer available. I could buy electric but I don’t think we are there yet.
However, by 2035, we may well be. That’s when the law kicks in and it can easily be extended or amended to reflect technology and infrastructure as it develops as of 2032.
I trust there are more practical solutions to many transportation needs prior to 2035. EV is but a small temporary segment and solution. (but it gets a lot of press and politics..). ez 'quick sales job', LT repercussions and significant environmental problems.

Consider a synthetic or alternative fuel replacement with minimal emissions (80% reductions) and ZERO infrastructure or equipment modifications. Works for airplanes, ships, railroad, semitrucks, construction equipment, diesel autos...been around since 1890's (as have EV's).

Just a little tweaking to the feedstream and economics (i.e. dino fuel is cheaper and free flowing (not counting for lost lives (wars and health), emissions and such)

Rudolf did not design the Diesel Engine to run on dino fuel. But... he came to a mysterious end on a transatlantic voyage .

Be wise.
Be careful where you get your information, and how you digest it.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I trust there are more practical solutions to many transportation needs prior to 2035. EV is but a small temporary segment and solution. (but it gets a lot of press and politics..). ez 'quick sales job', LT repercussions and significant environmental problems.

Consider a synthetic or alternative fuel replacement with minimal emissions (80% reductions) and ZERO infrastructure or equipment modifications. Works for airplanes, ships, railroad, semitrucks, construction equipment, diesel autos...been around since 1890's (as have EV's).

Just a little tweaking to the feedstream and economics (i.e. dino fuel is cheaper and free flowing (not counting for lost lives (wars and health), emissions and such)

Rudolf did not design the Diesel Engine to run on dino fuel. But... he came to a mysterious end on a transatlantic voyage .

Be wise.
Be careful where you get your information, and how you digest it.
Keep in mind the motivation of our political leaders. There are currently a total of 12,644 unique, registered and active lobbyists in the United States. None of them are representing the middle class citizen, they are representing industries, corporations, and special interest groups. The EV push is for the environmental lobbyists, and the government chooses to satisfy them by punishing us, not the big polluters such as trucking companies, airlines, and railroads, because they have lobbyists too. Seriously, how much pollution is 3-4 people with 2 cycle gas powered leaf blowers compared to one Caterpillar D6 Bulldozer, or a Peterbuilt 589.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:03 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
I could take the peeing and moaning more seriously had I not noted the huge amount of oversized pickup trucks on the highways, large SUV's and RV's also speak to the fact that US fuel prices are nowhere near the point that would cause these people to make a different choice of transportation. On top of that proliferation of gas guzzlers is the fact that many are driving as though the fuel were free, doing fifty in a thirty five zone, pedal to the metal while howling about the cost of gas. Here in Clark county a lot of people have seen fit to move up to the NE foothills, a long drive to anything, jobs, stores, schools, all at least twenty miles from their homes, and of course they drive a Dodge Ram or some similar vehicle. Should we be empathizing with all that foolishness, or simply laugh at the pretzel logic on display?

I hear the complaining about the high cost of fuel for families and yes, it's a burden on the wallet, but, driving around the county I see people's garages open and jammed to the rafters with all manner of "stuff," and most of it is just being stored. I see the proliferation of storage facilities being built all over the place and wonder if having less junk and a few more dollars for fuel might help. But no, just more complaining seems to be the order of the day.

Setting priorities is mostly a task that requires an introspective view of one's desires as opposed to one's needs, so that huge truck and that overstuffed garage can be considered a failure to make good choices. It may be that taking stock of one's lifestyle could go a long ways toward understanding how some people add to the misery of all that which we can't control..

Old 06-29-2023, 12:01 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Keep in mind the motivation of our political leaders. There are currently a total of 12,644 unique, registered and active lobbyists in the United States. None of them are representing the middle class citizen, they are representing industries, corporations, and special interest groups. The EV push is for the environmental lobbyists, and the government chooses to satisfy them by punishing us, not the big polluters such as trucking companies, airlines, and railroads, because they have lobbyists too. Seriously, how much pollution is 3-4 people with 2 cycle gas powered leaf blowers compared to one Caterpillar D6 Bulldozer, or a Peterbuilt 589.
28% of global emissions is from ocean freight shipping, burning mostly bunker fuel oil. It's one of the dirtiest out there besides coal. With everything being manufactured elsewhere, shipping is only on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington