Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 02:21 PM

371 posts, read 361,162 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Washingtonian yet, but it seems inevitable. My daughter attended college in Tacoma, and in four years since she's planted herself like a Doug Fir beside Puget Sound, with a good career and many friends. She's not likely coming back to Colorado. We'd like to live closer than a six hour (door-to-door) flight experience, especially as we enter retirement. My wife and I have been checking out various South Sound communities within a hour of her home in Kent. On a recent visit, we found one town that clicks a lot of boxes for both of us.

Enumclaw seems to offer something for both of us. She likes the flat terrain, and I like mountain view. It reminded me of a Midwestern farm town in a Colorado valley. I liked the housing stock, especially the 1930-40's era homes. Back yards are big enough for my two (and too-)frisky dogs. My wife was drawn to the downtown's retail center, a huge game store, where geeks play board games inside old bank vaults. I was happy to see a music store and hear about local open mike events. There seems to be one of everything we need: a hospital, a library, a hardware store, a supermarket, and more than one Mexican restaurant (the one I tried was awful).

Mount Rainier was an unseen presence in mid-winter, but it's certainly nearby. Judging from topo maps and photos, it's visible from the eastern half of town. The volcanic hazard is apparent, but no worse than what Denver would face if Yellowstone blew up. Local crime seems quite low, from CD stats here. It seems mellow.

I'm seeing no reason not to focus our long-range plans in Enumclaw, especially since no other WA town has struck us both so favorably. Neither of us has ever lived in a town so small, but it seems well-connected to surrounding retail and services. It seems like you could reach many scenic spots on the Coast and in the Cascades with minimal need for driving I-5. But what do I know? I was only there for an hour, passing through on our way to see McMillin. That's not much of a town, but it happens to be my family name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 03:01 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Future welcome to Washington!

Enumclaw is growing! Way bigger than it was when I was younger and we'd go through on our way to Crystal Mountain. I think just a few years ago, we'd have never predicted how hot the market has gotten there.

If you like Enumclaw, I would look in Buckley also. Not far.

I'm a small town person, so I'd have more than I need there, but you'll be less an hour from Tacoma, if you need something that is only found in the big city.

I might suggest that the proper perspective for I-5 is it is the connection between attractions in WA. It's only really an impediment during peak times through Seattle-Tacoma. Everywhere else, and most times of day, I-5 is the North-South connection that gets you to the East-West state highway that goes to your destination. For our geography, it's pretty efficient: I-5 to Highway 101 or 12 to Ocean Beaches. I-5 to Castlerock to get to Mt. St. Helens. I-5 to 90 to get to Eastern WA (though from Enumclaw you can go 410 in summer - one of the prettiest drives in the state!).

The only thing I might suggest is you will get more for your money the further South you go. So if you aren't finding what you want in Enumclaw for the price you want, try heading south.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The best things about Enumclaw for me as a visitor often:

The Mountain, and pasture views, woods with trails

The proximity to the White River, Crystal Mountain and the back side of Mt. Rainier

The Pie Goddess (We drive the hour from here to get some of their pie!)

Pretty good Pizza at Frankie's

The King County Fair

The negatives (that I am aware of):

Possible lahar danger should Mt. Rainier blow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osceola_Mudflow)

Moderate risk of flooding in some parts (https://riskfactor.com/city/enumclaw...045_fsid/flood)

25 Minute drive to Bonney Lake for amenities not available in Enumclaw

Old 01-13-2024, 10:46 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Hi Wheatridger! Enumclaw is a hidden gem IMO, pretty Craftsmans and other character homes available at relatively affordable prices. The downtown core has improved dramatically with cafes and shops popping up, and a focused city effort to beautify public spaces. If you love the mountains (hiking, skiing, mountaineering), you are knocking on the door of some world class spots.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:12 PM

Thanks, everybody. I'd also appreciate hearing some gripes, criticisms and conundrums of the place, too.

Two years ago when my wife got a job with CWU, Ellensburg initially looked attractive. I asked a similar question about it here. After a few months of watching its extreme weather and researching its lack of cultural variety, it seemed like a lousy place to live (if you weren't into horses).

Old 01-14-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Wheatridger! Enumclaw is a hidden gem IMO, pretty Craftsmans and other character homes available at relatively affordable prices. The downtown core has improved dramatically with cafes and shops popping up, and a focused city effort to beautify public spaces. If you love the mountains (hiking, skiing, mountaineering), you are knocking on the door of some world class spots.
Entering my Seventies, I'm no longer so ambitious about hiking and skiing. I'd love to rediscover the quiet joys of flatwater canoeing, though. Perusing the maps, it seems like Enumclaw is equally far (four hours) from the four places I want to do my photography: the Olympic coast, the North Cascades, the Palouse and the Columbia Gorge.

Back at home, a window facing The Mountain would help me forget my current unobstructed view of a hundred miles of the northern Front Range. In Enumclaw, Rainier views seem to vary greatly by address. There's a sharp butte on the south end of town that blocks the view from the middle of town. That would be sub-optimal - and like my home in Denver. The only reason I can't see Longs Peak is that Boulder's Flatirons line up in front of it!

Old 02-02-2024, 03:17 AM

805 posts, read 539,960 times
I know some people who live in Enumclaw, and they really like it. Their sources of entertainment are visiting and internet. For going out, you are pretty stuck with what you've listed. The rapid build-up of housing means the commute times are going to only get worse. There are zillions of new homes going in, but the two-lane roads are not getting larger. Even getting to the strip malls and Big Box stores in Bonny Lake is going to be a major expedition.

It seems like you've decided that it has enough for you, as my friends also feel. I don't think there is any hidden downside. I've not heard of a seamy side of life there.

Getting involved with volunteer civic activities is a must, if you want to meet people. It's an educated, well-mannered, friendly town.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:24 AM

541 posts, read 1,729,710 times
Enumclaw is up and coming to some degree. Lot's of new developments in the area, some new stores, plenty of community events, a famous NASCAR driver and professional fighter, etc. Home prices being below average for the county, but they are increasing as more and more people move in. The urban sprawl of the Seattle metro is expanding and someday it will reach this town (hope not). The town has a lot to offer in terms of small town businesses, grocery stores, even some neat museums such as the car museum. There are schools and a hospital in town as well. Another big benefit is that you are the last town on the plateau before you enter the wilderness. Literally minutes away is forests and the Cascade Mountains. You're near many neat trails and campgrounds, the neat towns of Wilkeson, Carbonado, and the ghost town of Franklin. Nature's playground is at your backdoor! Not to mention the town has some nice parks including a nice athletic complex to the south of town, closer to Buckley.

Nearby Bonney Lake is booming with new businesses and box stores, but it's all stretched along a single road, no real downtown... just sprawl. Same with the subdivisions popping up. Too bad they couldn't develop a neat town out of this area.

The biggest downsides to Enumclaw simply are it's growth and if it will outgrow what people enjoy about it being a smaller town. Also that looming lahar situation... Mr. Hands is also a reputation ding, though not the town's fault.

But overall it is a pretty nice place. I view it as a hidden gem in the shadow of Rainier, on the farthest reaches of King County. It almost feels like it should be Pierce County.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:10 AM

Lately I've been lurking the town's community facebook page. Mostly good vibes there, with good participation. There's an impressive number of "Pay it forward" stories, along with grumbling about all the new residential developments. I probably wouldn't choose a new home, because I hate modern minimalism, with all that black and white and LVP. The older homes attract me, but there aren't many of them...

I have an urge to buy the nearby McMillin Christmas Tree Farm (which I probably could never afford.) Just so I could write my address as: John McMillin, McMillin Christmas Tree Farm, McMillin, Washington.

One oddity: I've been using a phone app called Weather Bug for local and national forecasts. Looking at Enumclaw, it's predicted "Frozen Mix" nearly every day this winter, for a week at a stretch. I wondered how anybody keeps their car on the road there! Recently I compared this to the NWS site and others and found Weather Bug consistently predicts 12 or so degrees below other sites. Has anyone else noticed this? Please say Weather Bug is wrong. Do they take their measurements on the slopes of The Mountain?

Old 02-15-2024, 12:10 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Not familiar with Weatherbug, but that sounds wrong. I guess it depends how one defines a "wintery mix" and how wide an area it's measuring. Since you're near the mountains, there may be very frequent snowy mix within a 15 mile or so radius in the foothills nearby... that wouldn't be falling down in Enumclaw... not *every day*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington