Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 18,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Pretty much anywhere on the Olympic Peninsula or in SW Washington will have doubtful employment prospects. You could look at Yelm, Shelton, Tenino, Elma, and Montesano, as being within commuting distance of Olympia for jobs. For instance, if hubby is at all "handy":

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...49374228_zpid/

Or look at the Astoria-Seaside area. Low unemployment, so likely that jobs are available. You might also look at Whatcom County, north and east of Bellingham.
Jobs are not a problem, we've just retired, but can't afford to stay in our California home. Truth be told, after 10 years in our home, variable interest caught up and the mortgage has doubled.

If only hubby were handy, but no, he can barely change a light bulb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Western WA and less then 200k probably means significant meth problems. Talk to neighbors before handing over any earnest money and you might want to budget for two housing inspections to make sure they catch all problems with the house, because at that price point they're will more then likely be many.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Western WA and less then 200k probably means significant meth problems. Talk to neighbors before handing over any earnest money and you might want to budget for two housing inspections to make sure they catch all problems with the house, because at that price point they're will more then likely be many.
Yes, how true. I have seen many houses and manufactured homes around the peninsula in our price range, and comparatively they seem too good to be true, so I get what you're saying, and I'm discouraged.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:04 PM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCouple View Post
What about Aberdeen? It's fairly inexpensive. Is it terrible?
Terrible? No. Great? Not really. Aberdeen is (to my eye) a little run down and "distressed" looking. Some of the downtown stores are boarded up. Drug problem in the back alleys. Job market can be tough as well.

In fairness to Aberdeen though, the weather there can be brutal (wind, rain and prolonged damp gray weather) and that is tough on the average Aberdeen homes paint job contributing to the widespread run down look. OTOH, there are some very cool restored Victorian era homes there. If you are looking in Aberdeen, you'll want to scope out the "hill" neighborhoods. Flooding can be a problem in the lowland areas around the river there.

As you have discovered, western WA is not known for its inexpensive real estate. If a locale in western WA seems less expensive, there's usually a reason for it.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
One of the problems with piggybacking on an old thread is that there can be a lot of overhang, in this case on employment, or the lack of it. It would be easier to keep things straight if you would start your own thread, more widely focused than just on Forks.

With just a budget of $200k, you're going to need to look at something in much less deluxe areas, although not stooping as low as Forks.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
It's another depressed town with alot of drugs...

Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
VeganCouple, I sent you a DM.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:05 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Look at Central Park, Cosmopolis, and Bel Aire.

For living near the ocean:

South Beach: Westport, Cohassatt Beach, Grayland.

North Beach: Copalis Beach, Pacific Beach, Moclips. Avoid: Ocean Shores and Seabrook.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Look at Central Park, Cosmopolis, and Bel Aire.

For living near the ocean:

South Beach: Westport, Cohassatt Beach, Grayland.

North Beach: Copalis Beach, Pacific Beach, Moclips. Avoid: Ocean Shores and Seabrook.
I really appreciate all the help. I've been searching like mad the past few days. I'm concluding that my dreams of living in the area where I want (to include the ocean, and the woods, and privacy, and easy access to B.C.) in our price range, may not be realistic. Given that our time will be limited when we actually fly up to look, I've had to make major adjustments. The potential property has to be secluded, that's a must, and I'm looking now at properties that are wooded and secluded. I eventually ruled out Sequim for a few reasons, one being the mild weather, and I'd prefer the climate to be more extreme. So far my search takes me to Mason County and Jefferson County. I find a lot of manufactured homes or newer cabin types in Hoodsport and Shelton. Have also looked in Brinnon and Belfair. It's not what I really wanted ideally, but I prefer it to moving to Nevada. Hubby has so many limitations with no state income tax being a biggie. That eliminates Oregon which would have been another strong contender.

Anyway, Crazy Donkey, I know I shouldn't be here in the forum specifically for Forks anymore, but I think I'm about done, and really didn't want to have a whole new group of people advising me. I'm already overwhelmed with areas to check out. I am going now to check out the areas you mention as ocean property possibilities just to see what I can see in price range. Thanks so much for being specific, it helps since I don't know the area. Ocean Shores has great prices, so it much be for a reason? Flooding? or crime/riff raff?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:54 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
To add to your stress you might want to look into Birch Bay and Blaine up in Whatcom county, sorry, but you mentioned wanting ease into going to BC and those are border towns with slightly depressed real estate markets, but are kinda okay on the drug issue. Let me stress the kinda, like I said, always ask the neighbors but generally speaking WA has higher property crime, though since you will be retired and at home more often that may (again, may) make you less of a target.

The benefits of the area is that you can find cheaper housing, though your neighbors might be weekend neighbors who come down from Canada and you are an easy 30 minute commute down a non crowded freeway to a good sized city. Bellingham has been a retirement destination for many, but the housing market is expensive, since you value seclusion you might find something you like in rural Whatcom county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington