Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,651,382 times

Advertisements

odd. it's clear here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM

83,630 posts, read 75,703,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
odd. it's clear here
Meteo Matt Noyes explains it. It's an Arctic Front with snow qualls and Fridays high temps will be close to 15 below normal. NWS Boston said its the coldest air of the season in yesterdays discussions.

Like his FB page. //www.facebook.com/MattNoyesFanPage?ref=stream

Direct link to write up. MATTNOYES.NET - NEW ENGLAND WEATHER ANALYSIS: Arctic front poised to slam New England Thursday night - bitter cold for all, heavy snow squalls for some

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,883,867 times
The forecast for Sunday night has been upgraded to -25°C (-13°F). I woke up early to clear snow off the driveway and car and for good reason, the forecasted snowstorm has been howling for a few hours already. Even during the extra effort I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM

26,465 posts, read 46,759,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
The forecast for Sunday night has been upgraded to -25°C (-13°F). I woke up early to clear snow off the driveway and car and for good reason, the forecasted snowstorm has been howling for a few hours already. Even during the extra effort I'm enjoying the hell out of this.
Wow, that is very cold for Estonia for late November. It must be a strong easterly flow from Russia sending the cold westward.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,387,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wow, that is very cold for Estonia for late November. It must be a strong easterly flow from Russia sending the cold westward.

The polar vortex is much closer to them this time of year than to the southern Canada/northern USA.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Working the mid shift. I am seeing a bit more consistent signal of the idea of a 500 mb ridge building north into the Gulf of Alaska with a more large scale trough and colder air sinking south into the nations mid-section toward mid month. There is lots of real cold air in the Yukon and Alaska....and a week or so ago Lynn Lake in northwest Manitoba set their all time November low temperatures at -40.7C. Some of this might try to slip back south into a larger scale fashion down into the heart of the country.

We will see..
With Snowpack being above average and the temps in Canda being fridgid, if we can get that Ridge to build in the GOA there's going to be some real arctic outbreaks in the U.S. I'm also thinking mid month.

I'm not familiar with the normals in Canada but Normal lows for Burlington and Vermont are mid 20s! So for them to be in single digits is pretty impressive for November 30th.

Look at the current temps.. Everywhere else looks pretty seasonable slightly below but the extreme is in northern new England now. 15+ below normal and these arent the lows.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,387,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
With Snowpack being above average and the temps in Canda being fridgid, if we can get that Ridge to build in the GOA there's going to be some real arctic outbreaks in the U.S. I'm also thinking mid month.

I'm not familiar with the normals in Canada but Normal lows for Burlington and Vermont are mid 20s! So for them to be in single digits is pretty impressive for November 30th.

Look at the current temps.. Everywhere else looks pretty seasonable slightly below but the extreme is in northern new England now. 15+ below normal and these arent the lows.
Who knows....but my guess is untill you see snowcover in the upper Midwest/Great Lakes - locations downwind of them will struggle to see any cold air. True, far northern areas like upper Midwest/Mt West/Great Lakes/Upper New England...etc will see some cold air, but most of the mainland will only see these cold shot in modified form. If this first week of December comes out like they are saying (very warm coast to coast), we'll be starting winter with another strike agaisnt it - the ground will be much warmer than it should be for the time of year.

It won't matter to me much in any event after Dec 10 - 11...I'll be down near 25 latitude sitting in the Trade Winds -

Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 AM

A quick look at the snow totals from Vermont, NH, ME, and NY last night. See reports with link. NOAA's National Weather Service - Burlington, VT Snowfall Reports

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,883,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This time it's coming from the North. Northern parts of the country are the coldest and got hit by blizzards first.

For now it's just -7°C though which is only three degrees below the current average low. If the -25°C cold had arrived today, it may have broken some official November cold records that are in the -20° to -22°C range. December's record lows are in the negative 30-s and 40-s so there's no chance of that happening now.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM

Default More Snow

More snow on the radar map this morning. Mostly light stuff with this event. Still impressed last night dropped over half foot in Vermont.

From NWS Vermont for Last night and this morning. Radar above is a seperate event.

"As reports continue to flow in this morning, we can fill in the map a little more. Here are the updated reports through 7 AM. Also note the very cold air that has followed it, with a lot of locations now in the single digits.

The full listing can be seen here for now:"
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/headline/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather