Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
They're saying it might an El Nino winter, .
I'm going off topic (summer thread here) but to answer to this... Not sure who "they" are but Odds favor a Neutral Fall/Winter and a slightly better probability of La Nina compared to El Nino. http://iri.columbia.edu/climate/ENSO/currentinfo/figure1.html

So El Nino pretty much shouldn't happen unless the Pacific warms up fast and strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
09/10 was an awesome winter! Tallahassee came close to snow - parts of the panhandle saw up to 2 inches of snow I think. 73/74 only gave me 1.6" of snow, so I'll pass on that too!
2010-11 winter benefited the Mid Atlantic more than the Northeast that winter. I remember a few times where the snow cutoff point was south of NYC. (meaning it snowed and accumulated south of there and nothing happened northward)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
I think we are in for a mild winter.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Pretty weak summer this year
lol. That deserves a "wow". Shhhh, we're not supposed to see this.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Quote:
Pretty weak summer this year
I guess we lucked out here in the east, NYC managed two 100+ days, that makes this the fourth summer in a row with temperatures above 100. Nevermind the amount of days with heat indices in the 100's, we had an A+ July.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I guess we lucked out here in the east, NYC managed two 100+ days, that makes this the fourth summer in a row with temperatures above 100. Nevermind the amount of days with heat indices in the 100's, we had an A+ July.
Just so everyone isn't confused again. That's LGA he's talking about. LaGuardia, NY. Not NYC the station.
LGA is the typical hot spot there.

JFK only hit 100F once.
NYC none.

July was the only summer month that happened in the East. And the end of June. I'd say 6 weeks of summer happened so far. Not bad.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just so everyone isn't confused again. That's LGA he's talking about. LaGuardia, NY. Not NYC the station.
LGA is the typical hot spot there.

JFK only hit 100F once.
NYC none.

July was the only summer month that happened in the East. And the end of June. I'd say 6 weeks of summer happened so far. Not bad.
I live in Queens, so LGA and JFK are my go to stations due to proximity. I'm not trying to confuse anyone, but 3 out of 4 NYC stations reached the triple digits, and the one that didn't (but came close) was in a wet and wooded environment, which may explain why it fell short. And 6 weeks of summer is a bit of a stretch, I'd say it's been summer since late May. This summer wasn't a cool one by any means.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
^^

For us it was quite cool, though August will manage a very small temperature surplus.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm going off topic (summer thread here) but to answer to this... Not sure who "they" are but Odds favor a Neutral Fall/Winter and a slightly better probability of La Nina compared to El Nino. http://iri.columbia.edu/climate/ENSO/currentinfo/figure1.html

So El Nino pretty much shouldn't happen unless the Pacific warms up fast and strong.

2010-11 winter benefited the Mid Atlantic more than the Northeast that winter. I remember a few times where the snow cutoff point was south of NYC. (meaning it snowed and accumulated south of there and nothing happened northward)
Oops, I read somewhere it would be an El Nino. I stand corrected. But that's good news for early season cold here, but February and March may be blowtorch.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
^^

For us it was quite cool, though August will manage a very small temperature surplus.
Here too. When a location struggles to pass 80F in July or August that's not called summer. LOL! Looking at the temps, 3 weeks in June, 1 week in July, 2 weeks in August were more late Spring/Early Fall like. So that's about 6 weeks of Hot, Humid weather this summer.

Here's the temp departures from June 1st to August 27th.

Last edited by Cambium; 12-03-2018 at 04:47 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM

So, if some of you read NWS forecasts or are aware of the current setup, you're probably wondering why we have a trough in the East but warm temps. (troughs usually mean cooler weather)

Here's NWS NY this morning:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
455 AM EDT WED AUG 28 2013

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH THAT HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY ACROSS THE
NORTHEASTERN STATES REMAINS
AS WEAK SHORTWAVES MOVE THROUGH. ANY
SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS THAT DEVELOP WILL BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE
SHORTWAVES AND TRIGGERED BY ANY SURFACE BOUNDARIES IN PLACE MAINLY
THE SEA BREEZE.

So whats happening.

Well, there is so much heat under the ridge in central U.S that the warmth is taking a scenic tour around the country. Follow the arrows. Those are the winds at the upper levels transporting the heat right into the trough into the Northeast.

I should add that, the further away you are from the western edge of the trough (like Maine) the more you wont feel the affects of the warmth. Interesting setup.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather