Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM

592 posts, read 461,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes but we are going through a mild spell. Next week its going back to 8C during the day and 2 to 4C at night. You say not that much difference but as you said chilly temperatures are stable and add a cold westerly wind and steady rain it would feel colder.
Yeah, and I suppose that England being an island country, your 40F, for example, probably feels significantly colder than "our" 40F, where the breeze is mostly a land breeze. From my few experiences near the seacoast during the winter, I have noticed that the cold seabreeze feels even colder than the cold landbreeze at the same temp(if that makes any sense lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
Yeah, and I suppose that England being an island country, your 40F, for example, probably feels significantly colder than "our" 40F, where the breeze is mostly a land breeze. From my few experiences near the seacoast during the winter, I have noticed that the cold seabreeze feels even colder than the cold landbreeze at the same temp(if that makes any sense lol).
Yes I understand, not too long ago we had a low of -4C with freezing fog (central London probably got down to -2) and it felt really really cold during the day it stayed around 0c and wow. I think humidity adds to cold and that day the humidity was high.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Yes but we are going through a mild spell. Next week its going back to 8C during the day and 2 to 4C at night. You say not that much difference but as you said chilly temperatures are stable and add a cold westerly wind and steady rain it would feel colder.
Its mild, but on average it isn't mild.

Its funny because it was 5c and supposedly this is mild, a few years ago we'd be jumping over the place for this.

Next week here, its going to be like 2c everday again... we never hardly get ice days but we always get 2c.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Well you do live in rural NI places further south we are going through a mild spell. 11C over the weekend which is like mid november but next week its going back down to 7/8C

Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Yes, I think its time I moved up the hill behind my house to 300m and then i'd be happier.

I'm never going to get loads of snow living here, its too low. Looking at the GFS angers me, yes we are forecast snow, but a front comes through and gives Scotland snow again and snow for hills here. Don't know why the boundary is always SW scotland.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yes I understand, not too long ago we had a low of -4C with freezing fog (central London probably got down to -2) and it felt really really cold during the day it stayed around 0c and wow. I think humidity adds to cold and that day the humidity was high.
Wow, that definitely sounds brutal! In my opinion, any daytime high below even 45F is fair game to refer to as a 'winter day.' Highs near 32F are downright freezing even in my landlocked location and with no seabreeze.

P.S. I live in Pennsylvania near about 40 latitude.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Wow, that definitely sounds brutal! In my opinion, any daytime high below even 45F is fair game to refer to as a 'winter day.' Highs near 32F are downright freezing even in my landlocked location and with no seabreeze.

P.S. I live in Pennsylvania near about 40 latitude.
Really, I think 45F is just typical I would of thought you'd be tolerant to lower temps than that due to your climate. But yeah 32F is definately cold! Also when we see low temperatures below 35F it needs to be a clear windless night. But 36F with a cold easterly wind (during a cold snap) can feel raw, it can feel more like 27F. Its due to the humidity I think.

Also seabreezes only count for along the coast not inland, but that breezes pushing around that mositure makes it feel colder

Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Really, I think 45F is just typical I would of thought you'd be tolerant to lower temps than that due to your climate. But yeah 32F is definately cold! Also when we see low temperatures below 35F it needs to be a clear windless night. But 36F with a cold easterly wind (during a cold snap) can feel raw, it can feel more like 27F. Its due to the humidity I think.

Also seabreezes only count for along the coast not inland, but that breezes pushing around that mositure makes it feel colder
Well, the average January high and low where I'm from is 38F and 18F, respectively. I'm definitely not a cold weather person though, I hate the cold (except when it's snowing, that kind of makes the cold worthwhile lol). I can never get used to it despite the fact that I grew up in it! I think you guys at least have better winters than we do. Luckily, we've been spoiled so far this December and have had only two days with highs under 40F , but during January and February, over 75% of nights are in the teens or single digits fahrenheit.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 AM

WOW that is cold!! the 38F is Ok but 18F thats brutal, currently if you check london's forecast its really mild but WET WET WET, seriously if you hate rain and wind don't came to England. What I hate is when the temperature is low but no snow falls its just a waste of cold. But I love getting up in the morning during a coldwave when there's ice on the floor and frosts on the roofs and the grass. That's real winter.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
I think the wind that makes you feel colder, is the one that brings the biggest temp differential. Sea breezes only happen because the temp on land is warm relative to the sea. If the temp on land is colder than the sea, then any wind of the sea will feel warmer.

To get winter sea breezes, there would need to be land temps significantly warmer than sea temps, which would make sense for the US east coast. Sea breezes are rare here in winter because the winter average maximum is colder than the sea temperature.

I associate wind of the sea during winter with warm, balmy weather. Wind from the land is much colder - unless it's a Foehn wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather