Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 02:13 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,674,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow, you are way ahead of us. I find the dead trees with high sun look very strange this year. After three straight months of well below normal temperatures from Jan thru March, everything is behind this year.

I took these pics today and the trees are budding but in photos they still look dead as ever.

Tomorrow I fly down to New Orleans for a week (for work), so I expect some more greenery there.

The max temp today was 73F(22.8C) under clear skies. The long cold winter is fading very fast. Interesting that many were in t-shirts today, but if we had these temps in summer everyone would be wearing a jacket, lol.

Today in Philly:

Nice pics! Try to get a few of New Awlins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 03:43 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
I took my dogs down to do some trail hiking today and I was surprised at how much snow has melted in the last week at lower elevations. It's going fast up here, too, but there's still enough of it (134" / 340 cm) that it's not nearly as noticeable.
How is that snow thickness calculated? I'm always amazed at the feet and feet of snow Americans claim they get on a regular basis while on photos there's maybe half a meter of it on the ground. 340 cm and you would be driving in a tunnel. Why not measure and cite the actual depth of the snow?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:34 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,187,625 times
Mostly cloudy in Rimini today

Want some fresh oranges?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM

584 posts, read 576,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
How is that snow thickness calculated? I'm always amazed at the feet and feet of snow Americans claim they get on a regular basis while on photos there's maybe half a meter of it on the ground. 340 cm and you would be driving in a tunnel. Why not measure and cite the actual depth of the snow?
Those pictures are down on the valley floor. I never claimed there were 340 cm of snow in these photos. I took them to show how little snow is left down there. We have 340 cm up here at 8800 ft elevation, as measured by the official weather station, whether you believe it or not.

I posted photos of the snow along the highway higher than the roof of my truck, and a lot more snow fell after those were taken. I'm not going to search and link them, but they're on here somewhere.

Last edited by Susannah18; 04-13-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times
Looks legit to me: http://www.city-data.com/forum/33885223-post60.html

Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
They have bars in Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Guess it helps letting the windows wide open at night to let the house cool off. I wouldn't want to do it without a protection if I was living at street level. It's common around the Med.
That's true.
It''s uncommon in most of Spain but in warmest areas around the Med. Though they also can be seen in warmest places located inland in valleys at low altitude, such as Guadiana valley in Badajoz, Tajo valley in Cáceres, or Ebro valley in Lleida.

Once you move away to these places it's almost imposible to find bars on windows at street level, because of the slightly cooler summers comparing to these places I've said before, so they don't need open their windows all the time in summer nights.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 PM

753 posts, read 839,074 times
Vancouver's looking great right now It's been a beautiful sunny weekend (and the warmest of the year so far at 14°C), so I went out and took some pictures today.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Nice pics! Try to get a few of New Awlins.
I will. Like summer with nice warm mornings and very humid. I'll post them when I get back. Don't have my laptop with me.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,568,954 times
I dislike Vancouver's climate, but its topography looks stunning.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,739,148 times
Neat pics! Agreed about Vancouver: terrible climate, great setting. Different climates are rather easily accessible. You have mountains nearby if you want a snow fix. Garanteed summer heat isn't as close, but I guess a weekend getaway to the Okanagan is feasible.

Here spring is coming along nicely. Most trees are now green. Path follows a canal.

Further down the canal

Flowering chesnut trees

Even plane trees have leaves now

Some trees are still budding

Some are bare

Others are green

Spring flowerbed with tulips

What is that?

Big wisterias

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather