Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But if you didn't know, why did you claim so confidently for two pages? And say you were so obviously right?

Northern Ireland obviously. Scotland probably, but Edinburgh/Glascow to London is much further than 150 miles. From, most English airports outside of London don't have that high volume. But northern England has more people than Scotland and Northern Ireland combined.

Virgin Trains has 26 million riders / year. I think Virgin Trains is used more for longer distance (maybe 150+ mile routes). And that's just one operator.

[url=http://www.virgin.com/travel/virgin-trains-most-improved-operator]Virgin Trains 'most improved operator' - Virgin.com[/url]
According to this, there were 1.6 billion passengers from September 2014 - August 2014 excluding express shuttle services and the Eurostar. 130 million of these were long distance, although it does not specify what long distance is.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Great_Britain[/url]

Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
You clearly don't travel very often.
I travel very often in fact, seeing as I actually live away from home and am doing something with my life

How about showing some relevant data for both sides and putting an argument together properly? Maybe then people would take you seriously. As it is, you just seem to claim things are true, but are then too stubborn to back down when someone shows you conclusive data showing you to be wrong.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Well I have completed 8 flights this year so I travel by plane more than normal. Not alot though.

Anyway ok maybe you are right but we can still see a very large no of people travel by plane. i am not sure why anyone would travel on a train with the length of time it takes.

Its not terribly cheaper either.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Well I have completed 8 flights this year so I travel by plane more than normal. Not alot though.

Anyway ok maybe you are right but we can still see a very large no of people travel by plane. i am not sure why anyone would travel on a train with the length of time it takes.

It isn't always longer... for journeys over 300 miles it may be quicker to fly sometimes, but then you have to add in security, check in times etc

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 AM

I find trains a pain

Old 11-17-2014, 08:05 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

Trains are more comfortable, the stations are usually closer to your destination / starting point. If going to center cities, flying is annoying. You have to arrive earlier on a plane than a train. You can often get away with arriving 5 minutes before the scheduled departure time for a long distance train, with a flight?

NYC to DC is 220 miles. Double the amount of train travelers as people flying. American train services are slow, normal time is 3hr20min, there's 2hr45min train that's much more expensive. Even at that speed, flying doesn't save any time practically if the trip is city center to city center. British trains are faster, I don't see why more would fly there for similar distance.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Yes they do take you to your destination but they take a long time and it is very boring. A plane can do 500 miles in an hour and a train takes 6 hours.

No thanks.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 AM

358 posts, read 413,322 times
boring? you probably never heard or seen french tgv or shinkansen in japan.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Yes they do take you to your destination but they take a long time and it is very boring. A plane can do 500 miles in an hour and a train takes 6 hours.

No thanks.
Not necessarily.

First you have to get to the airport, check in, go trough security, wait for the gates to open, fill the plane, taxi to the runway, wait for takeoff, takeoff, take altitude and course, and then only you're on your way. Then you circle around the airport, wait for landing, land, taxi to the terminal, walk trough the terminal, get your luggage, and take a bus or taxi to your final destination.

With train you buy an e-ticket, jump in, and within minutes you're on your way. Then you stop at a few locations, and arrive in your destination in the centre.

On short distances the train is much more effective and often faster as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM

358 posts, read 413,322 times
Japan has a thing for making super trains. Crazy

First passengers on Japanese maglev train travel at speeds of 500kmph - The Times of India

The first passengers have travelled at an incredible 311 mph on a hovering bullet train in Japan.

The maglev trains have been tested before between the cities of Uenohara and Fuefuki but now members of the public have been allowed on board for the first time.

The 27-mile trip went by in a flash for the 100 passengers as the train, which "floats" above tracks using magnetic levitation, hit speeds of 311 mph (500 kmph)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather