Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Is that the price for the Elvis special, in Vegas? I've only been to Vegas once...thank god I didn't get so drunk I came back married to some cocktail waitress.
Las Vegas is so overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Las Vegas is so overrated.
I LOVE Las Vegas, but only for about three days. Any longer than that and I get bored with it.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:41 AM

24 posts, read 42,311 times
They said you should spend a little big money after all your going to get married once that is for an ideology. But spending too much is not necessary specially nowadays economy is not really doing that well. Every wedding is special but don't forget after that day that would really be the start of a new life for both of the partners. Save not just enough but for emergency cases so you wouldn't end up fighting or arguing over money.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
All my cousins are boys except one who is much younger than me. All I heard my mother and my aunts do is talk about my wedding ad nauseum all my life. Never mind the fact that all 7 of them got divorced - some more than once. I knew early on that it would be their wedding - not mine. Given the huge fiasco at my brothers wedding just confirmed I would never want a big wedding.

Coming close to doing the deed I had it all planned out. I wanted to fly to Key West and get married on the beach with only my aunt and uncle present since they live in Tampa, in a white cotton dress I already owned. Fly home and then have an extremely small wedding to benefit the wedding hounds in this very small old church in this historical village down the street. I even managed to get a $3000 Italian wedding dress for $300 because the store was going out of business and it was a try on dress and did it so my mom could go through the whole trying on dresses process. With my aunts I did the cake and flowers. This was their wedding not mine. This place was extremely small so it was just family. There was a banquet hall in a historic building right down the street with a bunch of different size rooms - bingo there we go....no fuss, just a dinner.

His mother was going through the whole traditional scene, but failed to realize my parents weren't paying for this thing - we were. That drove me nuts too.

The wedding never happened. (It was for the best) and I have a $3000 wedding dress in the closet for anyone who is a size 2 to 4 - LOL. I'll probably give it to my younger cousin when she decides to get married.

So, no I wouldn't spend my life's savings on a wedding.

Women are conditioned for a wedding and a man is conditioned for a marriage which makes the woman's expectations dashed after a couple years because the grand romance in their head became a plain and ordinary day. I've posted this article before, but she has some great things to say about this same thing:

Gilbert: I'm such a romantic person and I love "Jerry Maguire" as well. I love that scene, I love that moment. But I think there does come a time when we have to distinguish between the romance of love and the reality of long-term, decades-long intimacy.
Sometimes what happens is we long for the fairy-tale ending. I'm a little bit more of an advocate for the fairy-tale beginning. I think it's wonderful when a love story begins with a great deal of romance and affection, passion and excitement, that's how it should be.
But I don't necessarily know that it's the wisest thing in the world to expect that it ends there, or that it should, 30 years down the road, still look as it did on the night of your first kiss.

'Eat, Pray, Love' author tackles marriage - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings