Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times

Advertisements

I hear of many couples pressured into a big wedding to satisfy their large families but they don't have the money for such a large event. Personally, I think the money spent on a big wedding would be better used as a downpayment on a home ... especially in an expensive place like NYC.

If your parents aren't footing the bill and you're pinching pennies to pay for a big wedding, is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I hear of many couples pressured into a big wedding to satisfy their large families but they don't have the money for such a large event. Personally, I think the money spent on a big wedding would be better used as a downpayment on a home ... especially in an expensive place like NYC.

If your parents aren't footing the bill and you're pinching pennies to pay for a big wedding, is it worth it?
No, some of the most expensive weddings are lucky to last a few years. Look at the celebrity weddings! Often times the small weddings and even justice of the piece last.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:

No, I don't personally think it's worth it.

Why blow all the money on ONE DAY, when you could use that money for something you'd enjoy for years, like a house or a car?

It just seems completely shallow and egotistical to waste money that way.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Yes, if my savings totaled $100 or less!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,375 times
I heard the marriage of the new Royals is estimated at $40,000,000, In this world economy? Any sympathy I had for them just shot out the window!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,799,629 times
No way. I feel it's so stupid to spend several thousands of dollars on a wedding. You and your spouse go back to a one bedroom apt. How about you take the money invest in your dream home. So something small.

My co-worker spent 10 thousand on her wedding. She was married for 3 years. They went back to her one bedroom.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
Quote:

I personally don't think it's worth it and it's your wedding and your future. If you wish you could accommodate them but don't want to hurt your personal finances, let the family foot the bill and mortgage their future.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,368 times
Quote:
I hear of many couples pressured into a big wedding to satisfy their large families but they don't have the money for such a large event.
I looked around on the net one day and they say that the average wedding is about 25-28k.

On a side note, I like to lurk around in the wedding forums... The women are so funny... They like to compare dresses, rings, shoes, vacation spots, and all kind of other stuff...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I looked around on the net one day and they say that the average wedding is about 25-28k.

On a side note, I like to lurk around in the wedding forums... The women are so funny... They like to compare dresses, rings, shoes, vacation spots, and all kind of other stuff...
No way is a wedding in NYC just 25 -28K; not even close, especially for a large family.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Never! I've never dreamed of a big wedding and therefore have not allocated any savings to a wedding. The right guy will probably think along the same lines - a house is such a better investment, you enjoy it for longer - it just makes more sense.

Plus, there are plenty of ways to have amazing weddings without breaking the bank if you're willing to take the time and effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings