Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times

Advertisements

As a wedding guest, I say "Yes" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM

21 posts, read 44,080 times
My friend's sister and her fiance saved their money and bought a house together, and had their wedding there. It was a very nice, moderately sized ceremony. They eventually divorced but it was a great plan.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
No way. I might spend a little on a reception and honeymoon though.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I hear of many couples pressured into a big wedding to satisfy their large families but they don't have the money for such a large event. Personally, I think the money spent on a big wedding would be better used as a downpayment on a home ... especially in an expensive place like NYC.

If your parents aren't footing the bill and you're pinching pennies to pay for a big wedding, is it worth it?
A big NO. If I were to get married. I would find the cheapest way to do it which is paying legal fees.

Big weddings are for people who want to show off their status.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,731,483 times
Heck, no! I'd try to get away as inexpensively as I could, and still be tasteful. I would go the small-casual-intimate family and friends only route. Here is a list of things you could with the money you save avoiding a big showy wedding:

A great honeymoon
Down payment on a home together
Home improvement
Interior decorating
Housewares
A cruise
A lavish gift for each other parents
Education for yourself or someone in the family in need
An household emergency fund in case of disability or unemployment
Down payment on a car the family may need
Money for baby-related expenses
A trip to visit a beloved family member you haven't seen in a while
(especially good if he or she is elderly)
Your first holiday dinner party hosted as a married couple

Think about it. A lot of awesome books on this topic that show you how to pull off a modest wedding with style.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,081 times
I don't personally think its worth it. Its one day and it goes by so fast. You are right it is better spent on a down payment for a home or I would spend a lot of money on a honeymoon (not all of the savings of course). Weddings have become nothing but a business. People have to have the biggest, best, extravagant, most memorable wedding ever so they blow a ton of money they dont have. Doesnt make sense to me.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Huge weddings are the biggest waste of money. Most of the people that do them are the ones already rocky to begin with, but think this "huge magical wedding" is going to being them closer together. Only to get divorced shortly afterwards.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
I saw all the hoopla my brother's went through. Not for me. Elvis is marrying me in Vegas!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
I don't think it's worth to spend such a large amount of money on a wedding. A friend of mine had spent around 50K and that's on a low side in NYC. It's one day, it's just few hours of your life...spend it on something more useful! We had a small wedding and thankfully both Russians and Italians have a clue and give money as a gift, so we came out even.

Another thing I find kind of funny is how much energy brides to be spend on preparations for a big day. Countless of hours spent on going through magazines, picking a dress, flower arrangements, making sure they have the right photographer...Someone I know almost got into a cat fight over a videographer. How about spending that much energy on what happens after?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't think it's worth to spend such a large amount of money on a wedding. A friend of mine had spent around 50K and that's on a low side in NYC. It's one day, it's just few hours of your life...spend it on something more useful! We had a small wedding and thankfully both Russians and Italians have a clue and give money as a gift, so we came out even.

Another thing I find kind of funny is how much energy brides to be spend on preparations for a big day. Countless of hours spent on going through magazines, picking a dress, flower arrangements, making sure they have the right photographer...Someone I know almost got into a cat fight over a videographer. How about spending that much energy on what happens after?
Yep like a good down payment on a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings