Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Same here (to bolded above). I just wish this country got a clue. Why would you bring a set of pans to the wedding? Money is absolutely the best gift for the bride and groom.

Didn't you get married in NY? I thought monetary gifts were pretty common in the metro area (or in most metro areas)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Didn't you get married in NY? I thought monetary gifts were pretty common in the metro area (or in most metro areas)?
I did get married in NY, and I got money as a gift from 90% of my guests, but I always thought that it was cultural as Russians/Italians always give money. I went to other weddings in NY and I've seen people giving gifts not money.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
The gift registry here is a long-standing tradition that supposed to help guests help the bride and groom furnish their new home. Which isn't so relevant anymore because people aren't getting married straight from their parents' home.

One the one hand, I know that money is appreciated, but on the other, to me as a gift giver, money is like saying, "I couldn't think of anything to get you." It feels lazy.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The gift registry here is a long-standing tradition that supposed to help guests help the bride and groom furnish their new home. Which isn't so relevant anymore because people aren't getting married straight from their parents' home.

One the one hand, I know that money is appreciated, but on the other, to me as a gift giver, money is like saying, "I couldn't think of anything to get you." It feels lazy.

I will never accuse a guest who give me money of being lazy. It means they are smart. Anyways, I got all the household gifts at my bridal shower. To me giving a gift at the wedding is cheaper than giving money. You could get a 100.00 toaster on sale for 50.00 whereas if you put 100.00 in the envelope its 100.00.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

One the one hand, I know that money is appreciated, but on the other, as a gift giver, money to me is like saying, "I couldn't think of anything to get you." It feels lazy.
Well, to each its own I guess, but to me money says: "I understand that you had to spend some money to put together this wedding, so here is a little bit back."

Maybe that's why we never registered anywhere. Anyone who prefers to get money as a gift shouldn't either. Otherwise you will end up with tons of stuff you don't really need.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I give gifts because I like the idea of giving you something that you will use and cherish, something that will remind you of me and your special day. Blowing it on two bags of groceries and your water bill just doesn't have the same charm for me, somehow.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I give gifts because I like the idea of giving you something that you will use and cherish, something that will remind you of me and your special day. Blowing it on two bags of groceries and your water bill just doesn't have the same charm for me, somehow.
You may think that they will use it and cherish it, and they may just roll their eyes and stick it in a closet. I learned that whatever seems nice and sentimental to me doesn't always get appreciated it. Wedding are expensive. People spend a lot of money just for you to sit there and eat. The fact that we came out not even "even" but ahead with all the money we got was priceless to us. We were able to take the money to the honeymoon.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Lets be practical here. I would much rather have the money to do what I want with instead of having to stare at some ugly vase or picture frame that I don't really need. I'd rather use it on food or the water bill. Food and water are crucial for survival aren't they????
I guess to each their own.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Too add, if you really want to give a bride and a groom the gift that will remind them of you, just send it to them prior to the wedding.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You may think that they will use it and cherish it, and they may just roll their eyes and stick it in a closet. I learned that whatever seems nice and sentimental to me doesn't always get appreciated it. Wedding are expensive. People spend a lot of money just for you to sit there and eat. The fact that we came out not even "even" but ahead with all the money we got was priceless to us. We were able to take the money to the honeymoon.
We're on majorly different pages here, MM, sorry. I'm not in the "weddings are fundraisers" camp and never will be. If all people care about is breaking even, then they should just not have a reception. Keep the money you'd spend on the wedding for yourself (although much of the time, traditional and lavish weddings are paid for by the parents, who aren't "paid back" by the gifts) and let your guests keep theirs. Weddings are fun and I like to see my friends and family have a nice time, but there is no wedding food or entertainment on earth worth its equivalent in cash. I'll give you $100 because I love you, not because I'm paying for some rubbery chicken and tepid rice that someone probably sneezed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Lets be practical here. I would much rather have the money to do what I want with instead of having to stare at some ugly vase or picture frame that I don't really need. I'd rather use it on food or the water bill. Food and water are crucial for survival aren't they????
I guess to each their own.
Yeah, I'm sure you would. I'd rather have my money too, instead of giving it to some ungrateful, entitled bridezilla who's pissed because she's out the money for the extra-special mints she had flown in from Timbuktu because they were just the right shade of magenta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings