Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We're on majorly different pages here, MM, sorry. I'm not in the "weddings are fundraisers" camp and never will be. If all people care about is breaking even, then they should just not have a reception. Keep the money you'd spend on the wedding for yourself (although much of the time, traditional and lavish weddings are paid for by the parents, who aren't "paid back" by the gifts") and let your guests keep theirs. Weddings are fun and I like to see my friends and family have a nice time, but there is no wedding food or entertainment on earth worth its equivalent in cash. I'll give you $100 because I love you, not because I'm paying for some rubbery chicken and tepid rice that someone probably sneezed on.
I completely understand that we are different pages here JJ. Perhaps I'm just being practical here. I always think of how the bride and groom are paying for the wedding, and nowdays, usually all on their own. Especially in NYC, not too many couples got much of the help from their parents at all. To be honest, I only know of one couple that had help from their bride's father. One couple. And I went to many weddings.

Do you really think that the vase you get them or whatever you consider special is that important to them?
I always just put myself in their shoes and think of what I would like to get if I was them. There is a reason why giving money is such a tradition in some cultures. Because it works. I pay for the wedding, people go and have a good time and give money.

And why not give them $100 because you love them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure you would. I'd rather have my money too, instead of giving it to some ungrateful, entitled bridezilla who's pissed because she's out the money for the extra-special mints she had flown in from Timbuktu because they were just the right shade of magenta
Wow, is this how you think of the brides whose weddings you go to?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We're on majorly different pages here, MM, sorry. I'm not in the "weddings are fundraisers" camp and never will be. If all people care about is breaking even, then they should just not have a reception. Keep the money you'd spend on the wedding for yourself (although much of the time, traditional and lavish weddings are paid for by the parents, who aren't "paid back" by the gifts) and let your guests keep theirs. Weddings are fun and I like to see my friends and family have a nice time, but there is no wedding food or entertainment on earth worth its equivalent in cash. I'll give you $100 because I love you, not because I'm paying for some rubbery chicken and tepid rice that someone probably sneezed on.

Yeah, I'm sure you would. I'd rather have my money too, instead of giving it to some ungrateful, entitled bridezilla who's pissed because she's out the money for the extra-special mints she had flown in from Timbuktu because they were just the right shade of magenta.

The food at my wedding was amazing it was prime rib not chicken and there were 8 courses. Trust me if you ordered this kind of a meal at a restaurant it would cost over 150.00-200.00 as there was also AN OPEN BAR for the guests.
Most normal newlyweds are going to appreciate the money much more than the "Oh sweetie I'm so glad aunt Bertha got me this fondue set instead of that two hundred dollars. Everytime I make fondue I will think of her. I will cherish it forever."LOL
We also give the guests expensive bonbonnieres before they leave as a thank-you for attenting and speeches are made thanking everyone for their attending.
Oh, and no one forced the parents to pay for the food. They OFFERED because they are our parents and they LOVE us.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
The food at my wedding was amazing it was prime rib not chicken and there were 8 courses. Trust me if you ordered this kind of a meal at a restaurant it would cost over 150.00-200.00 as there was also AN OPEN BAR for the guests.
Most normal newlyweds are going to appreciate the money much more than the "Oh sweetie I'm so glad aunt Bertha got me this fondue set instead of that two hundred dollars. Everytime I make fondue I will think of her. I will cherish it forever."LOL
We also give the guests expensive bonbonnieres before they leave as a thank-you for attenting and speeches are made thanking everyone for their attending.
Oh, and no one forced the parents to pay for the food. They OFFERED because they are our parents and they LOVE us.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
I'm in agreement with JJ depsite having somewhat of a lavish wedding (lavish by most of the country's standards, not NYC/other metro area standards.) The difference was we didn't have the celebration expecting anything in return. As JJ stated, we didn't do it expecting to break even on the cost. We knew better. I was extremely grateful for whatever gifts we received, be it monetary or wine glasses, etc.. I'll be honest, there are gifts that aren't my taste, but I still appreciate the thought that is behind it and I remember who gave each gift to us.

And let's be realistic, how good do you think your prime rib was when the staff if preparing it for 200 people to be served all at the same time? Very rarely is the food up to par with a top notch restaurant unless you're having it a top notch restaurant. I know I don't go to weddings expecting very much of the food.

My husband put it all in perspective for me. There are people who truly want to be there to celebrate your day and the rest are there out of obligation.

And do you think your guests walked away from your wedding thinking "I'm so glad I went! It was worth it just for the bon-bons!"??? Your guests probably enjoyed that as much as the vase you received from them. I don't mean that as a slight against you, but do you think a $4-15 favor compares to the money and time they spent to attend your wedding?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Wow, is this how you think of the brides whose weddings you go to?
I know I do.... Which is why I never go... 2 people I know got mad at me because I refused to attend there lavish wedding.

And what's up with all the gifts? ALL the gifts are basically for the WOMAN. I have never seen guns, boots, chainsaws, air compressors or tools and such given to the groom.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
And what's up with all the gifts? ALL the gifts are basically for the WOMAN. I have never seen guns, boots, chainsaws, air compressors or tools and such given to the groom
Wedding gifts are for the couple and their new home/life together. Dishes, sheets, towels, etc. Unless you consider those womanly, but he'll be eating off them, sleeping on them, and drying off with with them, too. I know couples who have registered at Home Depot for stuff like lawn mowers and step ladders as well if they're moving into a new home.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The difference was we didn't have the celebration expecting anything in return. As JJ stated, we didn't do it expecting to break even on the cost. We knew better. I was extremely grateful for whatever gifts we received, be it monetary or wine glasses, etc.. I'll be honest, there are gifts that aren't my taste, but I still appreciate the thought that is behind it and I remember who gave each gift to us.
I didn't expect anything in return either. That's why we had a small wedding, not nearly in any way or form "lavish" by any standards. It was within our means and if I got NO money in return, I wouldn't be hurting. But boy was it nice to realize that we spent "0" on a wedding at the end of the day. Truly a nice gift.
Of course, the fact that you are a nice and sentimental person made you appreciate all the thought behind it, but I can assure you. You are in minority.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times
As someone mentioned, the gift registry is a long-standing tradition in some cultures as much as giving cash may be a tradition in other cultures. I always choose a gift from the registry and if there is none, I will give the couple cash. But unless all of your friends and family are in a cash giving mode, it's highly unlikely that you'll recoup the cost of an expensive wedding.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
Ummm....hello no all the savings don't go towards the wedding....they go towards the REAL priorities......

THE RING! Groom should spend all his savings on the ring then the two of you elope somewhere exotic!
That's the way to do it!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I know I do.... Which is why I never go... 2 people I know got mad at me because I refused to attend there lavish wedding.

And what's up with all the gifts? ALL the gifts are basically for the WOMAN. I have never seen guns, boots, chainsaws, air compressors or tools and such given to the groom.
If I'm going to spend money on a babysitter in addition to the money I'll give to the bride and groom, I better like at least either a bride or a groom. There were some wedding invitations that I declined simply because I didn't feel like spending money on the people I don't like. I'm under no obligation to go for anyone.

In terms of the gifts, well...majority of the couples already live together nowdays and had been living in their own home for awhile. It's foolish of me to think that they already don't have a toaster in their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings