Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times

Advertisements

a lot of men are just flat out cheapskates. they often talk about buying a 'high quality' CZ ring and putting in a Tiffany box that they got off Ebay or whatever. I cannot beleive how many times I have heard men say things like this. Pretty deceitful but can't say I'm surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
a lot of men are just flat out cheapskates. they often talk about buying a 'high quality' CZ ring and putting in a Tiffany box that they got off Ebay or whatever. I cannot beleive how many times I have heard men say things like this. Pretty deceitful but can't say I'm surprised.
It's easy to call men cheapskates when you know that, on your part, you will never have the responsibly on your shoulders to buy a high ticket item for a man in exchange for his affection.

Bottom line though, I really do think that people in Western cultures are not so smart, you people don't realize that many of your "traditions" have been artificially created by companies to increase their profit such as the case with wedding bands.

"It is a sad truth that diamond engagement rings are mostly a creation of the 20th century and is a direct result of the De Beers worldwide monopoly and subsequent marketing of diamonds. It was in 1947 that Frances Gerety, a young copywriter for N. W. Ayer & Son coined the famous advertising line, “A Diamond is Forever” for De Beers. The concept of diamonds lasting for eternity perfectly characterized the magical qualities that De Beers wanted to attribute to diamonds. Similarly, other successful campaigns include: the “eternity ring”, the “trilogy ring”, and the “right hand ring”.

De Beers successfully identified their target market as men and began using hollywood glamour to pull in the masses into their marketing scheme. Celebrities like Marilyn Monroe wore diamonds and boasted, “diamonds are a girl’s best friend.” De Beers successfully duped the masses from knowning that diamonds were a commodity; instead convincing many that they are a must for marriage and the ultimate show of love and affection. De Beers even suggested that 2 month’s salary was necessary to invest in their “forever” diamond. By 1960, almost 80% of married women had a diamoned engagement ring on their fingers which is in stark contrast to just 30 years earlier when women typically wore plain wedding bands. "

Engagement Rings - Their Anciet History and De Beers Monopoly | Online Diamond Buying Advice

Last edited by calicali01; 05-02-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I have never understood why it matters how big the ring is or how much it cost. As long as the ring comes from the heart and people are getting married for the right reasons. Why does it matter? A man should only spend what he can afford or if he has a lot of money and doesnt want to spend to spend that much on a ring then there is nothing wrong with that. People are more impressed when two people can make a marriage work and their relationship can be an example for others. American society is just so judgmental and materialistic. I get so tired of it some times.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
A man should only spend what he can afford
True. But the REALITY is that if a man spends LESS, then he's considered a cheapskate and not a suitable husband even though he may internally and financially possess all the qualities to be a good husband.

It's just a crime to be poor, or appear poor in this country.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
It's easy to call men cheapskates when you know that, on your part, you will never have the responsibly on your shoulders to buy a high ticket item for a man in exchange for his affection.

Bottom line though, I really do think that people in Western cultures are not so smart, you people don't realize that many of your "traditions" have been artificially created by companies to increase their profit such as the case with wedding bands.

"It is a sad truth that diamond engagement rings are mostly a creation of the 20th century and is a direct result of the De Beers worldwide monopoly and subsequent marketing of diamonds. It was in 1947 that Frances Gerety, a young copywriter for N. W. Ayer & Son coined the famous advertising line, “A Diamond is Forever” for De Beers. The concept of diamonds lasting for eternity perfectly characterized the magical qualities that De Beers wanted to attribute to diamonds. Similarly, other successful campaigns include: the “eternity ring”, the “trilogy ring”, and the “right hand ring”.

De Beers successfully identified their target market as men and began using hollywood glamour to pull in the masses into their marketing scheme. Celebrities like Marilyn Monroe wore diamonds and boasted, “diamonds are a girl’s best friend.” De Beers successfully duped the masses from knowning that diamonds were a commodity; instead convincing many that they are a must for marriage and the ultimate show of love and affection. De Beers even suggested that 2 month’s salary was necessary to invest in their “forever” diamond. By 1960, almost 80% of married women had a diamoned engagement ring on their fingers which is in stark contrast to just 30 years earlier when women typically wore plain wedding bands. "

Engagement Rings - Their Anciet History and De Beers Monopoly | Online Diamond Buying Advice

I call it like I see it and yes, they are mostly cheapskates....If you're buying her an engagement ring with the hopes of "buying her affection" then you choose the wrong woman to marry. You should have her affection before you get to the point where you are buying the ring. Cannot put the cart before the horse and expect it to work itself out...As far as buying a 'high ticket item' again, don't marry the woman who wants a ring from Tiffany's or Cartier if you can't afford those things in the first place. This doesn't warrant buying a CZ ring and passing it off as the real thing. yes the ring should be nice, but who cares about that when the husband you're getting is deceitful? DeBeers and the like aren't the only places in the world that carry acceptable, nice looking and REAL rings, majority of women know this already.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
True. But the REALITY is that if a man spends LESS, then he's considered a cheapskate and not a suitable husband even though he may internally and financially possess all the qualities to be a good husband.

It's just a crime to be poor, or appear poor in this country.
Well I don't think that's true.

Maybe for younger or more immature women? At my age, I'd appreciate a man that knew the value of a dollar. However, if he wanted to buy a ring, I would want a ring that I loved. If it's butt ugly, no matter the cost or size, I'd tell him to return it.

My husband wanted to buy me diamond earings for our 10yr anniversary and I told him don't bother. I don't like diamond earings...and so I found a pair of drop CZ earings with a lever back that I still wear all the time...I think they were $30 and I could care less that they aren't diamonds.

I will not buy something unless I love it. When I stop loving it, I pass it on to someone who will.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
You should have her affection before you get to the point where you are buying the ring. Cannot put the cart before the horse and expect it to work itself out...
But it does not work that way. As a man, I have to buy gifts, take a woman out to dinner, ect, ALONG with vying for her affection. Buying the ring is just the apex of the long courting process.

Quote:
DeBeers and the like aren't the only places in the world that carry acceptable, nice looking and REAL rings, majority of women know this already.
You're missing the point. If it wasn't for DeBeers, the majority of women would not want an engagement ring in the first place.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
But it does not work that way. As a man, I have to buy gifts, take a woman out to dinner, ect, ALONG with vying for her affection. Buying the ring is just the apex of the long courting process.

You're missing the point. If it wasn't for DeBeers, the majority of women would not want an engagement ring in the first place.

I literally LOL @ that last line. I pray you are not serious with that. If you are, you need a reality check and ask around HOW many women have an engagement ring that was manufactured by DeBeers. Of course you don't want to hear this because the results will NOT justify this statement. DeBeers did not make women want an engagement ring. Most women have never even owned a piece of diamond jewelry from DeBeers let alone come up with some random request for a ring made by them. There's plenty of jewelry stores and sites that make quality rings.

And 'boo hoo' to having to actually spend a little money, again, if it's all one sided and it's multiple expensive dinners, multiple expensive gifts -- choose women that are more your speed financially. I am not like that and I know I'm not the only woman in the world who wasn't looking for a rich man who only purchased diamonds made by DeBeers. Please. if a woman is solely about what you can give her financially, why do you want her as a wife anyways? That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
I literally LOL @ that last line. I pray you are not serious with that. If you are, you need a reality check and ask around HOW many women have an engagement ring that was manufactured by DeBeers. Of course you don't want to hear this because the results will NOT justify this statement. DeBeers did not make women want an engagement ring. Most women have never even owned a piece of diamond jewelry from DeBeers let alone come up with some random request for a ring made by them. There's plenty of jewelry stores and sites that make quality rings.
DeBeers is a cartel (international conglomeration of companies) that came together in the late 1800s to conspire to fix the price of diamonds worldwide. Diamonds are not rare, but they are precious as a result of an excellent marketing campaign in the early 1900s. Basically they duped America into the diamond engagement ring craze.

DeBeers retail stores are few and far between, but in terms of distribution of diamonds they control basically all of it.

Not trying to really support calicali's points (I'm saving up for a ring myself) but he is accurate in this sense. Here's a very interesting article: http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...y/diamond5.htm

I'd recommend reading the entire article if you're interested, but I just linked the marketing portion. I'd also highly recommend the "Stuff You Should Know" podcast about diamonds. Very interesting.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
See, I can agree with women whey they accuse their guy of being lazy because he doesn’t do house chores but she does. But how can women accuse men of being cheapskates when women are not known for spending money on their man like men do on them?

Quote:
you ladies are asking for too much
They ask for many things they are not willing to offer but they complain when a man does it to them.

Last edited by onihC; 05-03-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings