Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 AM

70 posts, read 171,533 times

Advertisements

VZW has finally flipped the 3G switch in Clarksburg & Bridgeport WV as of this morning. Unless there is a major snag we will have 4G service by June along with the Morgantown WV market. It looks like Fairmont WV will be the end 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM

49 posts, read 107,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrcp View Post
VZW has finally flipped the 3G switch in Clarksburg & Bridgeport WV as of this morning. Unless there is a major snag we will have 4G service by June along with the Morgantown WV market. It looks like Fairmont WV will be the end 2012.
Great News!! I renewed my verizon contract and got new phones so this is good to hear. I'm just curious where you heard this information, because from what I can tell this is not public knowledge?

Also it is my understaning that Morgantown is skiping 3G and going straight to 4G right?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Smile 3G/4G Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountieDukes View Post
Great News!! I renewed my verizon contract and got new phones so this is good to hear. I'm just curious where you heard this information, because from what I can tell this is not public knowledge?

Also it is my understaning that Morgantown is skiping 3G and going straight to 4G right?
This was information relayed directly to store associates from vzw represenitives, that were in Bridgeport on 12/22/2011 when the 3G towers were turned on. They only turned on 3 towers in the area, two in Clarksburg and one in Bridgeport with more to come in the next few weeks. As for Morgantown I was also told that as of 1/1/2012 @ 0001 they would have 3G service. The motown info may not be as solid it was from another source but they were specific!! BTW what phone did you buy???

Last edited by Richrcp; 12-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
This was information relayed directly to store associates from vzw represenitives, that were in Bridgeport on 12/22/2011 when the 3G towers were turned on. They only turned on 3 towers in the area, two in Clarksburg and one in Bridgeport with more to come in the next few weeks. As for Morgantown I was also told that as of 1/1/2012 @ 0001 they would have 3G service. The motown info may not be as solid it was from another source but they were specific!! BTW what phone did you buy???

Thats awesome! I had assumed based on some articles from about a year ago that Morgantowon was going to go straight to 4G and bypass 3G. If we get 3G that would be great for my wife, I got her the Iphone 4S, I got the Galaxy Nexus(one of the main reasons I wanted to stay with Verizon).

Did you hear anything about Fairmont? (where I work)

Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Offical Press release from VZW

02/08/2012

CLARKSBURG, WV — To continue to stay ahead of rising demand for wireless voice, multimedia and Internet access, Verizon Wireless has enhanced its local network in Clarksburg, West Virginia and the surrounding area. The improvements enhance data coverage in the Clarksburg area as follows:
  • Clarksburg;
  • Hepzibah;
  • Stonewood;
  • Anmoore;
  • Nutter Fort;
  • Southwest along U.S. Route 19 from Hepzibah to downtown Clarksburg;
  • East along U.S. Route 50 from Sun Valley Road to just east of Interstate 79;
  • The East Point Shopping Center, and;
  • The area at the intersection of I-79 and County Route 24 including Meadowbrook Mall.
The enhancements provide increased data service in the area, which empowers more Verizon Wireless customers to rely on their wireless phones for social networking, Internet browsing, downloading apps, exchanging email and text, picture and video messaging, as well as making calls.
“West Virginians are increasingly relying on smartphones and applications to manage their busy lives and stay connected at home or on-the-go,†said Mark Frazier, president–Ohio/Pennsylvania/West Virginia Region, Verizon Wireless. “These improvements are part of our continual investment in our network so our customers can use their devices when, where and how they need them.â€
These enhancements are part of Verizon Wireless’ continual effort to expand coverage, increase capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network in West Virginia. Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $65 billion since it was formed—$6 billion on average every year—to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,994,727 times
The 4G service is great to hear. I had been a 10 year Verizon customer but changed to Sprint last summer because Sprint offered much better coverage in Morgantown. If I had known Verizon 4G would come that soon I might have held off. That will put Morgantown on the cutting edge where they belong.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Default 3G/4G Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountieDukes View Post
Thats awesome! I had assumed based on some articles from about a year ago that Morgantowon was going to go straight to 4G and bypass 3G. If we get 3G that would be great for my wife, I got her the Iphone 4S, I got the Galaxy Nexus(one of the main reasons I wanted to stay with Verizon).

Did you hear anything about Fairmont? (where I work)

MountieDukes,

Actually it is being worked on as we speak and would have been on but there is a spectrum issue that involves the City of Fairmont. The current word is sometime in June that I-79 will be covered from Clarksburg to the WV/PA line. Its a big for this area we had 1XRTT prior to 12/22/2011.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,994,727 times
I believe going to the PA line with it will complete 4G all the way to Pittsburgh, since they already have it on the PA side. US Cellular just made 4G available in the Morgantown area too, from what I've heard. These are important developments in NCWV because our area is developing its research component quickly.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Verizon Wireless 4G Service in Morgantown Underway

Posted: Mar 13, 2012 3:51 PM EDT Updated: Mar 13, 2012 6:36 PM EDT
By Kelly Rippin, Monongalia and Preston County Reporter - bio | email

Morgantown Verizon Wireless customers will no longer be operating in an extended network starting this summer.
Plans are underway to bring 4G service to the Morgantown area by mid-summer.
After finals week, construction will begin to place three antennas on the roof of Hotel Morgan.
Because the building contributes to historic downtown, they will be enclosed in structures that flow with Hotel Morgan's design.
"You know its all market driven and they came to us," said Heather Dingman, Morgantown Planning Commission. "They worked really hard to make sure they got the location that they wanted and we worked really hard to make sure that it was going to fit in seamlessly at the location they selected."
Hotel Morgan is one of the tallest structures in downtown Morgantown.
This will allow the antennas to reach the greatest distance. It's now offical, it's looks like what we were told in December will soon be a reality!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
....Plans are underway to bring 4G service to the Morgantown area by mid-summer.
After finals week, construction will begin to place three antennas on the roof of Hotel Morgan.
Because the building contributes to historic downtown, they will be enclosed in structures that flow with Hotel Morgan's design.
...... It's now offical, it's looks like what we were told in December will soon be a reality!!!!

Thanks for the update! Thats awesome, I pretty much have line of sight to Hotel Morgan from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia