Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM

208 posts, read 605,065 times

Advertisements

I have seen West Virginia classified as northern, southern, midwestern, mid-atlantic, northern appalachian, central appalachian, southern appalachian, and those are all I can remember for now.

West Virginia isn't as easy to define wholly like Alabama (Deep South) or Minnesota (Upper Midwest). You have Wheeling/Weirton at one end and Bluefield/Beckley at the other end. Geographical boundaries don't always correspond to cultural boundaries.

Maybe West Virginia doesn't want to be identified with a specific part of the country. That's what makes it so unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 AM

97 posts, read 766,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
I have seen West Virginia classified as northern, southern, midwestern, mid-atlantic, northern appalachian, central appalachian, southern appalachian, and those are all I can remember for now.
There's three more that I could add to the list. Upland South
South Atlantic
Eastern United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Maybe West Virginia doesn't want to be identified with a specific part of the country. That's what makes it so unique.
Yes, maybe it doesn't, and I respect your opinion Blueeyes, but If I personally had to classify West Virginia under one specific region, I would definitely classify it as a Southern state. I simply believe in my heart it just has more in common with the Southeast or Upland South rather than the Northeast or Midwest. The only part of the state that I would say that's not very "Southern" at all would be the Northern Panhandle, (like you said Wheeling and Weirton) due to it's close proximity to Pittsburgh, along with a Rust Belt history.

I have been studying Southern culture for a few years now and I must admit that I am very "obsessed" with West Virginia, along with the South. You may think that I am weird for saying this, but I remember seeing quite a few times on the Weather Channel, they classify West Virginia and Virginia in the Northeast, along with Kentucky in the Midwest. It has made me angry so many times that I felt like writing a letter or sending an email to them.

Nevertheless, my goal is to one day create a new website dedicated to the South along with Southern culture, which will include West Virginia. I believe most West Virginians are actually Southerners, they just don't realize that they are. I blame most of it on the "screwed up" Civil War history. For example, there are nearly 2 million people currently living in West Virginia. If more WV natives would realize that in 1861, 2/3 of their state actually did support Richmond and the Confederacy during referendum, they probably would claim to be Southern (especially in the former Confederate counties).

I hope nobody will be offended on behalf of my views on West Virginia and please remember that it's just my opinion.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby "The Punk" Wells View Post
You may think that I am weird for saying this, but I remember seeing quite a few times on the Weather Channel, they classify West Virginia and Virginia in the Northeast, along with Kentucky in the Midwest. It has made me angry so many times that I felt like writing a letter or sending an email to them.
It's not your imagination, and they p'oed me off too. WV doesn't get actual weather reports from that channel because the dolts use that part of the blue screen to stand in front of pointing to all the other states. Wait for it to cycle through every region- there's his BUTT blocking WV every time.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's not your imagination, and they p'oed me off too. WV doesn't get actual weather reports from that channel because the dolts use that part of the blue screen to stand in front of pointing to all the other states. Wait for it to cycle through every region- there's his BUTT blocking WV every time.
Yes, that is definitely true too. Also, do you notice that they constantly talk about Atlanta. I know that they are based out of there but com on, enough is enough. Another thing is that they constantly have commercials. Every time I "flip" channels through there, it's a commercial. Over the past few months, I have started to rely on the internet for weather in West Virginia, instead of the Weather Channel.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
I use the internet for my weather also. It seems to be the quickest and most accurrate reading i can find for local weather.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
In C-town yesterday, I noticed that the southern dialect was pronounced and distinct..
and the helpful manners of everyone at my service was wonderful and cordial...I told them so and thanked them...they were great...they were us.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
David, I ran across this short essay by Kirk Hazen, who works on West Virginia dialect, I thought you might find it interesting.
Kirk Hazen West Virginia Dialect Project Department of English Eberly College of Arts and Sciences <b style=&quot;color:black;background-color:#ffff66&quot;>West Virginia</b> University (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:I64Jte7caCoJ:www.as.wvu.edu/dialect/varres/wvdial.pdf+%22west+virginia%22+speech+pattern&hl=e n&ct=clnk&cd=42&gl=us - broken link)

And then there's this humorous article by Gayle Trent on The Language of Appalachia. My dad always had a strong "ye" instead of "you".

The Language of Appalachia

I think we ought to change the license plates to "West Virginia, Tippy-Top of the South" Has a certain je nais c'est quoi, nes't pa?

Last edited by Bobilee; 06-19-2008 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
Our people enjoyed a second home in Hardy County begining in 1925...we kept that property until 1986. The old neighboring people used many ancient words that I never hear anymore...fetch, ketched, hain't, gittin', I always thought those words were Elizabethian and English...Ulster-Scots and that really makes sense...they were the people, who fled the English and settled those mountain areas of early Hampshire County..
Robert E. Lee's people lived on Lost River...been some great ones...mais oui...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 06-19-2008 at 04:50 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 04:24 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
"We know where we came from and, for the most part, where we’re going. And if anyone thinks we’re a bunch of ignorant hillbillies, then you ought to come and get to know us a little better. If you stay long enough, we might be able to teach you how to talk right."

great article bobilee- thanks for sharing

Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbilee
I think we ought to change the license plates to "West Virginia, Tippy-Top of the South" Has a certain je nais c'est quoi, nes't pa?
I think we should change it too, and besides WV is ready for a new license plate anyway.

I remember Kentucky had done something similar to that a few years ago, with their welcome signs that used to say "Kentucky, It's That Friendly", which is a Southern trait. However, now they use the "Unbridled Spirit" "tag line".

Similar to KY, I think the WV department of tourism could use a Southern Image as well to describe the state. Maybe on our welcome signs it could say "Welcome to Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia, y'all! Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia