Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I like and agree with a lot of your points, daneoleary. It does seem odd to me as well that there is new construction everywhere, but still vacant space everywhere. Even though I'd argue Foxcroft is 'the golden mile" of Martinsburg, there are still TONS of vacant places when you look closely. I guess tenants are preferring new construction over taking existing spaces?

I find the possibility of a Starbucks at the mall interesting. I would welcome it, because I have always felt Martinsburg could use a corporate-run, drive-thru Starbucks. If this does happen though, the south side of Martinsburg will have 3 Starbucks within a mile of each other (even though 2 of them are licensed locations). I'm not complaining I really like Starbucks, but it would be great to see a location on the north end, perhaps on Edwin Miller near 81.

I DEFINITELY agree with you on Mattress Warehouse. When I read the Herald-Mail article I literally face-palmed myself. Sure, business is better than no business. But...another mattress place? I feel like it's a waste of a perfectly good opportunity for a more unique tenant. In addition, they are relocating from North Mall Plaza, so that leaves ANOTHER empty storefront. If I were Paramount, I would have saved Hopefully this isn't a sign of what the other tenants will be. All we need is another project full of what I call "repeats", chains or businesses we already have more than enough of locally (i.e. cell phone stores, hair salons, vape/herb stores, etc.). ALSO, the northwest pad has the most I-81 visibility. I seriously hope they aren't giving all of that frontage to Mattress Warehouse. To me the restaurants should be on the end closest to I-81, but again...if I were Paramount. And perhaps that is the case, only time will tell.

I am very hopeful for The Shoppes at Foxcroft. Chipotle and Panda Express will make excellent end caps. Construction is moving along very quickly, as well.
Unfortunately, I think Foxcroft is quickly losing its "Golden Mile" status. I'd argue that Apple Harvest is the new "Golden Mile". The Commons, the new Weis Plaza, Lowe's, Chick-Fil-A, Sheetz, Food Lion/Gabriel Brother's Plaza, etc. all benefit from traffic off of Apple Harvest. Apple Harvest is also the gateway from Ranson/Charles Town to Martinsburg's retailers. The amount of empty space on Foxcroft is also concerning. Small shops north of Walmart seem to suffer from a large "pull". Yes, you have places like Office Max, Outback, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. to bring traffic to that area, but is it enough to support the smaller shops? It doesn't seem to be. Maybe we'll see that trend reverse with the opening of the new Fairfield Inn, which will pull traffic from the highway.

However, it is nice to see The Shoppes at Foxcroft quickly moving along! Both restaurants should do well there, especially being located so close to the Hampton Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
As for the restaurants, I'm still also betting on Panera and Longhorn, as Panera is extremely popular right now, and Darden (parent company of Longhorn) recently built the new Olive Garden not far away. Red Robin may not be as big of a stretch as you think. Red Robin opened in the Valley Mall a few years ago, and one recently opened on an outlot of Francis Scott Key Mall in Frederick. Chambersburg also has a Red Robin, and is somewhat similar to Martinsburg in size, so population may not be a hurdle.

I hope you stick around as we discuss there developments in more detail as they progress!
Actually it would be nice if Martinsburg were able to attract chains that didn't already have locations in the area. A Steak & Shake, Jack in the Box or Darden's Bahama Breeze would work wonders in Martinsburg by not only attracting the locals but others who live in the region..and they will visit other places in Martinsburg too. Even though they are very limited around the 4 state even the return of Hardees would be great since there is no shortage of those in the area who miss them and not too mention that Hardees has since re-invented themselves for the better in recent years. Far cry than what they were in Inwood and Martinsburg just before their sudden closings many years ago.

If a town wants to attract a chain hey might as well get something that nobody else within a 50 mile radius already has.

Last edited by tantan1968; 06-13-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Actually it would be nice if Martinsburg were able to attract chains that didn't already have locations in the area. A Steak & Shake, Jack in the Box or Darden's Bahama Breeze would work wonders in Martinsburg by not only attracting the locals but others who live in the region..and they will visit other places in Martinsburg too. Even though they are very limited around the 4 state even the return of Hardees would be great since there is no shortage of those in the area who miss them and not too mention that Hardees has since re-invented themselves for the better in recent years. Far cry than what they were in Inwood and Martinsburg just before their sudden closings many years ago.

If a town wants to attract a chain hey might as well get something that nobody else within a 50 mile radius already has.
I don't think fast food chains are the answer for the mall. They might be appropriate for out lots at the new Weis Plaza, but the mall should target more formal, sit-down restaurants.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,011 times
Quote:
Maybe the Hilton near The Commons just seems small because the Homewood Suites by Hilton (in Hagerstown) is massive. Hilton Garden Inn is positioned like Springhill Suites in the Marriott chain, so it's always going to be a cookie cutter, rectangular hotel. It looks impressive from I-81 because it is on a hill (which will also help visibility), so that's a good thing. I'm most interested in the restaurant lot that is in the plan. The Commons plan seems to be short on outlots (only two were created, both of which are now developed), so a restaurant on the Hilton outlot will be a welcome addition.

I agree that mattress stores are boring, and they really have no place in a mall. Enclosed malls are almost specifically about retail, and I would consider a mattress store more of a "service" (they bring a mattress to your home and take the old one away). Either Paramount couldn't find any other tenants and had to scrape the bottom of the barrel, or they're planning a mixed-use "lifestyle center" that combines entertainment, dining, retail, and services. I would not be surprised if Paramount eventually tears out the middle of the existing mall to create an open-air lifestyle center. The lack of new retail in the enclosed portion leads me to believe that it will not be long for this world. It makes sense to move into that direction though, as small retail has always been the mall's Achille's heel. Completely redoing it in a more modern interpretation of a "one stop shop" could entice new small retailers.

As for the restaurants, I'm still also betting on Panera and Longhorn, as Panera is extremely popular right now, and Darden (parent company of Longhorn) recently built the new Olive Garden not far away. Red Robin may not be as big of a stretch as you think. Red Robin opened in the Valley Mall a few years ago, and one recently opened on an outlot of Francis Scott Key Mall in Frederick. Chambersburg also has a Red Robin, and is somewhat similar to Martinsburg in size, so population may not be a hurdle.

I hope you stick around as we discuss there developments in more detail as they progress!
I would love to see a "lifestyle center" or open-air format at the mall at this point. Honestly, that is the trend now and I feel that trying to continue to lease the enclosed mall is a waste of time.

Something like this....
Southaven Towne Center - 731.668.7621

Or this, which also has a large event center...
http://www.shopmetropolis.com

Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I would love to see a "lifestyle center" or open-air format at the mall at this point. Honestly, that is the trend now and I feel that trying to continue to lease the enclosed mall is a waste of time.

Something like this....
Southaven Towne Center - 731.668.7621

Or this, which also has a large event center...
Metropolis :: 2499 Futura Parkway, Suite 255, Plainfield, IN. 46168 :: 317.203.4555
Going forward, a lifestyle center is probably the mall's best bet. I'd like to see an article in the Herald-Mail soon stating the developer's intent for the larger portion of the mall.

I've actually been to Metropolis in Indianapolis, and it's a really cool place! Unfortunately, the owners are renovating the place and taking away the futuristic theme.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:17 AM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Tilted Kilt (guys) and Tallywackers Beefcake (gals)
Side-by-side

Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 PM

68 posts, read 116,717 times
Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled with a Red Robin, but I just don't feel like we'd get that lucky. I feel like Martinsburg tends to get whatever Hagerstown and Winchester already have. There are a few exceptions to that rule, such as Martinsburg getting an Outback Steakhouse before Winchester and Winchester getting a Carabas without Hagerstown having one, but I feel like a more likely scenario is that Martinsburg will get things that have opened in the neighboring towns semi-recently. Panara's seem to be growing like weeds so I feel that's a safe bet, and I wasn't aware that Longhorn was related to Olive Garden, but now that I know that seems very plausible. Martinsburg might get something like a Red Lobster at some point maybe, or a Sonic. I just really don't see Martinsburg getting something that's not already nearby. Olive Garden was the biggest surprise for me, and both Winchester and Hagerstown already had Olive Garden--although we weren't far behind Hagerstown.

I wouldn't mind seeing the MM turned into outlets myself, but I feel like it's either going to remain a wasteland until a miracle happens and a big name tenant moves into it, paving the way for other big names and a mall revitalization (unlikely) or I see the whole mall being torn down for more stand-alones like the four pads they're building now and strips like the Shoppes. I can't imagine it becoming a single outdoor shopping center, even if that's something I'd love to see, in the vain of Hagerstown's Premium Outlets. How sad is it that the MM is carried by FYE, Rue 21, and JCPenney? I feel like the Proactiv vending machine sitting in the mall probably sees more action than any of the stores.

Must say, I'm pretty intrigued about what restaurant will go into the Hilton as well. I'm hoping it'll be something good, maybe something boutiquey that you won't find anywhere else, but that offers semi-fine dining? Probably not going to happen, but I can dream. I'd like to see Martinsburg get a restaurant on the level of the Bavarian in Shepherdstown, somewhere that people will want to go for special occasions, but they know they'll need to make reservations because it's delicious and stays busy. Something besides Outback.

I really feel like Martinsburg lacks quality and variety. My boyfriend and I eat out a lot, and we are regulars of just about every restaurant in Martinsburg and none of them are anything special. If we have the time, we drive to Hagerstown or Winchester every chance we get. It wouldn't be hard to resurrect Martinsburg, at least not in theory. As I said, the Commons shows that there's potential and that Martinsburg's Powers That Be are on somewhat of a right track, but we're going to need something better than Mattress Warehouse to put Martinsburg even in the vacinity of respectable. We need not only Martinsburg residents to want to eat and shop here, but to attract people who live nearby here as well before the big names in retail and food will want to come here. I doubt we're going to be competing with Hagerstown or Winchester anytime soon, but for gods sake it wouldn't be that hard to at least put us on the map. Even the gas prices are chasing Martinsburg's own across state lines, so give us some kind of incentive to stay.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled with a Red Robin, but I just don't feel like we'd get that lucky. I feel like Martinsburg tends to get whatever Hagerstown and Winchester already have. There are a few exceptions to that rule, such as Martinsburg getting an Outback Steakhouse before Winchester and Winchester getting a Carabas without Hagerstown having one, but I feel like a more likely scenario is that Martinsburg will get things that have opened in the neighboring towns semi-recently. Panara's seem to be growing like weeds so I feel that's a safe bet, and I wasn't aware that Longhorn was related to Olive Garden, but now that I know that seems very plausible. Martinsburg might get something like a Red Lobster at some point maybe, or a Sonic. I just really don't see Martinsburg getting something that's not already nearby. Olive Garden was the biggest surprise for me, and both Winchester and Hagerstown already had Olive Garden--although we weren't far behind Hagerstown.

I wouldn't mind seeing the MM turned into outlets myself, but I feel like it's either going to remain a wasteland until a miracle happens and a big name tenant moves into it, paving the way for other big names and a mall revitalization (unlikely) or I see the whole mall being torn down for more stand-alones like the four pads they're building now and strips like the Shoppes. I can't imagine it becoming a single outdoor shopping center, even if that's something I'd love to see, in the vain of Hagerstown's Premium Outlets. How sad is it that the MM is carried by FYE, Rue 21, and JCPenney? I feel like the Proactiv vending machine sitting in the mall probably sees more action than any of the stores.

Must say, I'm pretty intrigued about what restaurant will go into the Hilton as well. I'm hoping it'll be something good, maybe something boutiquey that you won't find anywhere else, but that offers semi-fine dining? Probably not going to happen, but I can dream. I'd like to see Martinsburg get a restaurant on the level of the Bavarian in Shepherdstown, somewhere that people will want to go for special occasions, but they know they'll need to make reservations because it's delicious and stays busy. Something besides Outback.

I really feel like Martinsburg lacks quality and variety. My boyfriend and I eat out a lot, and we are regulars of just about every restaurant in Martinsburg and none of them are anything special. If we have the time, we drive to Hagerstown or Winchester every chance we get. It wouldn't be hard to resurrect Martinsburg, at least not in theory. As I said, the Commons shows that there's potential and that Martinsburg's Powers That Be are on somewhat of a right track, but we're going to need something better than Mattress Warehouse to put Martinsburg even in the vacinity of respectable. We need not only Martinsburg residents to want to eat and shop here, but to attract people who live nearby here as well before the big names in retail and food will want to come here. I doubt we're going to be competing with Hagerstown or Winchester anytime soon, but for gods sake it wouldn't be that hard to at least put us on the map. Even the gas prices are chasing Martinsburg's own across state lines, so give us some kind of incentive to stay.

The Hilton Garden Inn in Winchester has a restaurant called The Great American Grill. Never been there, heck even the hotel itself wasn't even built the last time I was in Winchester and that was in 2007. Not sure if this is planned for Martinsburg but here is their menu.

Great American Grill menu - Winchester, VA 22601 - (540) 722-8881

Red Lobster...now this goes back 20 years but for I seem to recall that they were planning on building a location in Martinsburg back in the mid 1990s. I don't remember exactly where I guess it would had been on Foxcroft but I do remember reading about it in both the Martinsburg Journal and Winchester Star at the time. Interesting that the Martinsburg Red Lobster was never built and Winchester didn't get one until almost a decade later. For what its worth Red Lobster and Olive Garden/Longhorn Steakhouse ( Darden ) are no longer part of each other. Somewhat of a big stink about that one when it came to gift cards here in Colorado. Some Red Lobsters will take an Olive Garden gift card but others will not despite having the Red Lobster logo on the actual gift card.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:24 PM

Ehh... I wouldn't get too worked up over Red Lobster. The products they serve are mediocre at best.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Ehh... I wouldn't get too worked up over Red Lobster. The products they serve are mediocre at best.
I agree..Red Lobster is quite mediocre. However looking back I have to admit it was quite funny to see so many towns and cities in those days that had made such a big deal that they have a Red Lobster. Don't remember Chambersburg doing this but many in Hagerstown most certainly did as I can recall my parents listening to the old "Oldies 106.9" and boy did their djs brag about that. Dittos down I-81 with Harrisonburg too when it was announced that Red Lobster will be building there. Their local WSVA radio talk show for over TWO hours it was all about Red Lobster coming to town. Its hysterical to remember the "big deal" about having a Red Lobster was nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia