Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 08:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 6,006,658 times

Advertisements

So I've been talking to many friends, and as the media is in a frenzy over Hillary winning WV, and 1 in 4 voted for her because of race. My friends that have moved around the world and different states in the union, all say WV is one of the least prejudice or racist places they have been. Take pride in that fellow Mountaineers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,595,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I wouldn't worry much, Chicago liberal politics are backwards, you have mobs running the cities. I hope this shows that Democrats really divide our nation, opening the border for illegal immigrants, raising taxes and surrendering our policies to terrorists. I hope WV makes the right decision and votes for McCain instead of Hussein Obama once November comes around.
My response is not to bash but to educate every one PLEASE check out these sites "North American Super Highway" and "North American Security Agreement" and then stop the mud sling . We all need to get EDUCATED on this so that which ever one wins they will do the right thing.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,795,258 times
I am a PA native, current FL resident (so I voted in their pointless primary), and WVU student. I am also Black and a supporter of Barack Obama. The WV primary saddened me...not because Obama didn't win (politics are politics) but more so because it is such a blatant example that this country has a long way to go when it comes to confronting reality. And the problem will get no better as long as Americans choose to remain blind to their own shortcomings.

I was a supporter of John Edwards...I really liked his focus and approach. So for me, I'm not voting by skin color the way that the media would like to portray how Black people are voting. Nope. If Sen. Obama were White, I would still rally behind him against Hillary Clinton (although honestly...I think if Obama were White, Hillary would have been long gone by now). But I do know there are Black people out there who vote for Sen. Obama because he's "one of us"...nothing more...nothing less. However, Black people are just 12% of this country...Obama needs more than us. This is America we are talking about....and Americans are very emotional people. Look at September 11th...which is a good example at just how emotions can sweep this whole country. Unfortunately, those emotions usually lead to irrationality...as can also be evidenced by this country's blind support of the Bush administration which milked the 9/11 emotions for all they were worth.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but here we have a state...that is really a gem as far as "classic Americana" goes. I can honestly say I enjoy West Virginia and West Virginians. However the fact is only 3% of the state's population is Black...which means most West Virginians have no regular contact with Black people. Black people are just not in their personal sphere of existence. Pair this with the emotion-driven American mindset. American have this need to be able to personally identify with their President. There is a reason why all of our President's have been White Anglo Saxon Protestants (with the exception of JFK). So not matter what his policies...Barack Obama stands there as the Black man with the weird name. Yes, Hillary is also making history as being the first woman...but she "feels" safer...more familiar...than Sen. Obama.

I do not mean to insult West Virginians at all; this is a nationwide issue and problem. Honestly, if you take 75% of the Hillary supporters and sit them down and ask them specifically why they would not support Obama (and I actually can list why I am not supporting Hillary), I do not think they could tell you; although if they were completely honest...they would probably state something along the lines of either is race or family background. We'll never really know...but that is my own gut feeling.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 PM

566 posts, read 1,583,025 times
Well, I certainly know why I didn't vote for Obama. I dislike people who are not real. I checked into Mr. Obama long before Rev. Wright hit the news, and I knew what I wanted before the media tried to tell me what to want.

I dislike some white people, I dislike some black people, neither makes me a racist.

Global Poverty Act (S.2433) might be an eye opening read.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 PM

938 posts, read 2,905,993 times
The race thing is so overrated that I've had a nice chuckle for the last week.

H. Clinton is more popular in WV than Obama for the same reason Bush was more popular than Kerry. It takes a certain person for WVians to get behind - and Kerry and Obama do not have that persona. It's hard to define, but I can predict it rather well when I see a person. I think the best way to describe it is to quote my stepfather -who happens to be one of the rare black hillbillies in the world. I'm serious. He watches NASCAR, drives a beaten up Ford pickup, loves fishing, and speaks like a good ol' boy. Just a product of his environment - like we all are. Anyway, he told me a few months ago that he was voting for Clinton. And do you know why? "Because that Obama is a ninny."

That, in a sentence, is why Obama lost. Unless he really is a self-hating racist...which honestly wouldn't surprise me either....

Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,256,799 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but here we have a state...that is really a gem as far as "classic Americana" goes. I can honestly say I enjoy West Virginia and West Virginians. However the fact is only 3% of the state's population is Black...which means most West Virginians have no regular contact with Black people. Black people are just not in their personal sphere of existence. Pair this with the emotion-driven American mindset. American have this need to be able to personally identify with their President. There is a reason why all of our President's have been White Anglo Saxon Protestants (with the exception of JFK). So not matter what his policies...Barack Obama stands there as the Black man with the weird name. Yes, Hillary is also making history as being the first woman...but she "feels" safer...more familiar...than Sen. Obama.
Mercy me, MissShona, what a buttload of poo you are flinging into this thread. Arkansas voted even more for Hillary, and they have almost 16% black population. Oregon is expected to vote for Obama, and they have less that 2% black population. Illinois has less black citizens that Arkansas. The % of black/white has nothing to do with the vote in WV. People voted for her because they know the Clintons and have for a LONG time, they like the Clintons. Obama came out of nowhere. WHY should they vote for him? What has he done for West Virginia? He basically abandoned campaigning in the state because it wasn't worth his effort. If the Democratic delegates were apportioned the way the Electoral College will give them in November, Hillary would be the front runner. Please remember this in November when John McCain is declared the next President of the US. West Virginia is the canary in Obama's coal mine.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 AM

10,267 posts, read 16,020,305 times
Its sad and regrettable but I'm not surprised such things are being said. And I am an Asian American from the Washington, D.C. area. These attitudes are common among the coastal yuppie elites that support Obama. Its the same group that supported John Kerry in the last election, the group that alienates the rest of the country. People who hate GW Bush should blame those folks who started the American culture wars.

My cousin went to WVU and loved the state and didnt' understand the ignorance people hold. I remember being in Western Maryland two years with my family and were lost and this lady with a West Virginia license plate actually asked her to follow her car to this place on Deep Creek Lake. we were pleasantly surprised. Needless to say, nobody with a New Jersey or Massachusetts plate would have done that. It seems its acceptable to be bigoted agaisnt middle America but not against foreign countries. Imagine if the things you posted were said about some banana republic in Central America or Asia.

A lot of Obama fans and those playing on identity politics are the most racist of all. I was accused of "acting white" by people of all races around here because of my fascination with middle America, especially my love of country music, conservative values, and my stated interest of buying a large Chevy pickup truck when I have enough money. Its the radical liberal wing of the Democratic Party that creates these divisions for their own purposes. This kind of snobbery will only drive me further and further from the urban coastal environment I've had to grow up in.

And about incest...I know less than 0.5% in West Virginia that, but...according to the NEW YORK TIMES itself, yes the newspaper that Snobama's fans read in Starbucks sitting $6 lattes, has said that 25% of marriages in Iraq and Pakistan are arranged between first cousins. Oh yeah thats okay because its just "their culture" according to the liberal mentality.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,824,138 times
Default projection only works if introjection catches it

Miss shona I'm glad you were voting for someone and not against someone else. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Who do you believe is the better leader? I can't disagree with your right to choose your conscience. I've just watched these speeches from the very begining and at no time has obama presented a plan that could work in our gov't. Kind of like a suitor that speaks romantic words, but when you marry him, he's clueless about the reality of paying the bills or changing a diaper. I waited for him to say the real words, but he didn't. That's why I eliminated him as viable, and it had nothing to do with him being black. The weight of the presidency is huge, and mostly a thankless task, suffering slings and arrows from every direction. I don't think he's experienced enough to cope, and limited in his comprehension of his entire flock. If this were colin powell running, I'd be torn. I think he failed to let ALL of america know they were included in his plans. You can read through threads and see what was said.

I also didn't vote for hillary as a booby prize or spite. I'm a native NY'r adopted by WV and I got to see first hand how Hillary performed as senator for NY. She really IS all that, even if she wasn't born there. She fought hard for NY, and kept that important balance between businessman issues and citizen issues. You don't have to believe me, you only have to let the ideas stand on merit. You did that and still disagree, you voted your conscience.

So, that said, what made your decision to not support hillary and give it to obama? I can say emphatically I thought his speeches were inspiring to say the least. What made him presidential material for you?

The other part of what you've said- I'd like to point out something. When blacks and whites get along like peas and carrots, nobody calls the press and puts it on the 6 o'clock news. The media thrives on stirring up uglinest parts of people, and unfortunately other peoples issues have been projected onto the citizens of this state. I can honestly say the only prejudice I've seen came from another transplant (from alabama). I've got a black neighbor in charleston who enjoys the same hospitality that I have since I came here. The woman who owns my laundramat is black, and folks don't go elsewhere as a result. Interacial couples are not stared down the way they are in states like Va or NC. Can you honestly tell me you've seen WV'rs be hateful? I'm betting not.

So if there ARE no race relation problems in WV, whats the problem? There are race relation problems with other people who want to instigate. Seems it burns their butt that people treat each other decent here, as if that's somehow abnormal. They're very ill, and see it for what it is. They only win if people like you and me let them by feeding into the hype. You'll shine bright on your own merits if you can never let weasels break your stride. Learn that lesson early in life, you'll go very far. I'm speaking woman to woman to spare you needless suffering from tremendous emotional abuse. It's only real if you live out their lie that you're inferior, and completely meritless if you get on with your own life work to shine the way your maker intended. Don't let the bastards drag ya down.

Bush? NY voted twice against him and there he was anyway. It's felt like being held hostage on an 8 yr bus ride with a madman at the wheel. Last election, wealthy people seriously considered living in another country to rid themselves of the insanity, even repub middle class saw no way out. Sentiments in NY are, anything is better than this, but hillary had the clear track record so they voted for her with almost no campaigning. Nobody can beat a popular incumbent on their own turf.
Now, why blacks voted for bush twice... that I'd love to know!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 AM

70 posts, read 294,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post

If these outraged you as much as they outraged me, send CNN a message telling them you aren't going to sit back and have these horrible comments made about our great state. I have already massaged them.
Did CNN like their Massage?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 AM

9 posts, read 34,694 times
To me it is simple. Obama goes to a church that preaches the evil of whites and how many bad things America does in the world---his wonderful wife says she was always ashamed of America and did papers in college on the evils of America. To me that is a couple who hates America. Obama tells voters he is against NAFTA then tells Canada that satement was just for politics and he didn't mean it. What bull. He is the worst thing to ever happen to the U S. Elected or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia