Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:48 AM

902 posts, read 807,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
There are various nuances (and nuisances ) between living in DOWNTOWN, Gatlinburg, Boone, Asheville, Johnson City, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Hendersonville, Weaverville, etc.

Once you get outside these cities and towns into the less populated areas, the major difference is the altitude.

Longer grocery or shopping trips are going to be expected because of those locations.

Most of these areas are smack in the middle of the Appalachian chain running Southwest to Northeast through the states, so they share similar characteristics.
Exactly. Most of the towns in Appalachia are very similar to each other with none being drastically different than the next other than the amount of tourists that visit them (like Gatlinburg, Asheville, Black Mountain and such).

For many, the surrounding area and proximity to outdoor activities are the bigger draw for those who come here to live, and not necessarily the amenities of the towns themselves.

We personally think Brevard is kinda dumpy from our many times passing through and would never consider living there. The surrounding mountains are beautiful though and a favorite of ours to visit, as is the ice cream stand near the entrance of the PNF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 12:48 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed.

I was in Gatlinburg proper last year. Just abysmal. I’ll go a couple times a year for Dollywood or water parks. IMO, WNC mountains are far superior to even GSMNP.
100%. We like going over there once a year or so to hike in the GSMNP as it is a nice change of pace from hiking WNC all the time. However, you absolutely couldnt pay me enough money to live in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, or even somewhere close. Tourist hellholes.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Exactly. Most of the towns in Appalachia are very similar to each other with none being drastically different than the next other than the amount of tourists that visit them (like Gatlinburg, Asheville, Black Mountain and such).

For many, the surrounding area and proximity to outdoor activities are the bigger draw for those who come here to live, and not necessarily the amenities of the towns themselves.

We personally think Brevard is kinda dumpy from our many times passing through and would never consider living there. The surrounding mountains are beautiful though and a favorite of ours to visit, as is the ice cream stand near the entrance of the PNF.
I couldn’t more strongly disagree. WNC, unlike most of east TN, has both: charming small towns and proximity to outdoor activities. Brevard - dumpy? We drove over there this past weekend. It is the quintessential small mountain town. Really quaint downtown area. And it’s getting better - new retail going up or recently opened. Hendersonville has a beautiful downtown with plenty of retail, specialty boutiques, and restaurants. The layout of the downtown area is amazing with its wide sidewalks and curvy streets. I could go on and on... but this is one of the factors that differentiates WNC from east TN. People come here to live for both reasons (and more): access to outdoor activities AND the charm of the area’s small towns. For us, another factor was the beauty of the area (I consider WNC to be one of the most beautiful parts of America) was also a huge factor.

Last edited by Lizap; 03-02-2021 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-02-2021, 06:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I couldn’t more strongly disagree. WNC, unlike most of east TN, has both: charming small towns and proximity to outdoor activities. Brevard - dumpy? We drove over there this past weekend. It is the quintessential small mountain town. Really quaint downtown area. And it’s getting better - new retail going up or recently opened. Hendersonville has a beautiful downtown with plenty of retail, specialty boutiques, and restaurants. The layout of the downtown area is amazing with its wide sidewalks and curvy streets. I could go on and on... but this is one of the factors that differentiates WNC from east TN. People come here to live for both reasons (and more): access to outdoor activities AND the charm of the area’s small towns. For us, another factor was the beauty of the area (I consider WNC to be one of the most beautiful parts of America) was also a huge factor.
One of the biggest differences that I have seen has been a general enthusiasm for relocating to WNC whereas east TN almost always seems to be a cost related compromise.

In real life, I rarely meet out of area transplants who are strong advocates for anywhere in east TN aside from Johnson City and maybe Jonesborough. At one time, I had six addresses in six different states in six years, and yes, I have lived outside Appalachia.

I’m in Miami right now. I spent a couple days on the Space Coast on the way down. The Space Coast in particular has so much more to offer than somewhere like Erwin that I don’t even know where to begin.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
One of the biggest differences that I have seen has been a general enthusiasm for relocating to WNC whereas east TN almost always seems to be a cost related compromise.

In real life, I rarely meet out of area transplants who are strong advocates for anywhere in east TN aside from Johnson City and maybe Jonesborough. At one time, I had six addresses in six different states in six years, and yes, I have lived outside Appalachia.

I’m in Miami right now. I spent a couple days on the Space Coast on the way down. The Space Coast in particular has so much more to offer than somewhere like Erwin that I don’t even know where to begin.
Yes, many people (and especially retirees) move to TN because there is no state income tax. In a previous post, I cited some research that showed overall more people are moving into NC than TN (this in spite of the income tax issue).

Old 03-02-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:

I’m in Miami right now. I spent a couple days on the Space Coast on the way down. The Space Coast in particular has so much to offer than somewhere like Erwin that I don’t even know where to begin.
It’s funny that you mention Florida’s Space Coast (Brevard County) as it’s where we lived for many years before coming to the Weaverville / Asheville area in early 2017.

The Viera / Suntree and Satellite beach areas to be exact (just below Cocoa Beach) are where we lived and owned a few properties at (still own one off the Intercoastal near Sat Beach), and ate regularly at Dakine’s while surfing 2nd Light through Mel Beach, Sebastian Inlet and Monster Hole among other favorites.

We partied and surfed with the worlds most well known and accomplished surfer (Kelly Slater, look him up) while working alongside some of the most brilliant minds of NASA, SpaceX and their contractors - many of their engineers we’re still good friends with.

So nothing you can tell us about the area isn’t something that we haven’t known or done 20x over or more, but we still hope you get to enjoy it too.

It’s nice to finally get a set and see the world a bit isn’t it? Been there and done that, and would take where we are now in TN any day of the week over that mega tourist trap called Florida and Miami. But to those who’ve never experienced it may seem as though it’s a paradise found, until it’s glitter quickly starts to wear off ... and it does.

Now while there maybe start by finding a real position with a real employer like Harris or Northrop and start seeing what many have already come to know (hint hint). Enjoy!

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 03-02-2021 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 09:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
It’s funny that you mention Florida’s Space Coast - as it’s where we lived for many years before coming to the Weaverville / Asheville area in early 2017.

The Viera / Suntree and Satellite beach areas to be exact (just below Cocoa Beach) are where we owned a few properties (still own property off the Intercoastal near Satellite Beach), ate at Dakine’s while surfing 2nd lLght, Sebastian Inlet and Monster Hole among others.

We partied and surfed with the worlds most accomplished and well known surfer (Kelly Slater, look him up) while working alongside some of the most brilliant minds of NASA, SpaceX and their contractors - many of their engineers we’re still good friends with.

So nothing you can tell us about the area isn’t something that we haven’t done 20x over or more, so hope you enjoy it!

It’s nice to finally get a set and see the world a bit isn’t it! Been there and done that and would take where we are now any day over that mega tourist trap called Florida and Miami. But to those who’ve never been it seems as though it’s a paradise found, until it’s glitter quickly starts to wear off.

Now while there maybe start by getting a real position with a real employer like Harris or Northrop and start seeing what many have already come to know (hint hint). Enjoy!
We have tread much of the same ground.

I actually used to work for Northrop. I did so for two years. No one at my site got a transfer to an ES or AS facility in FL as their management looked on us as “less than.”

The original reason I got on this forum ten years ago was for a springboard out of Appalachia. I achieved that. I was making around $20k at the time. Today, I’m around six figures with income derived from the local economy. At 34, with no Grad degree, I’m doing way better than average.

From what I can tell, you are getting E level exec comp based on my HR information. You are likely a 1%-2%er locally (maybe Levine outearns you?) even if I had a wife making what I do (combined $195k or so), we could not afford the second home overseas lifestyle claims.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
We have tread much of the same ground.

I actually used to work for Northrop. I did so for two years. No one at my site got a transfer to an ES or AS facility in FL as their management looked on us as “less than.”

The original reason I got on this forum ten years ago was for a springboard out of Appalachia. I achieved that. I was making around $20k at the time. Today, I’m around six figures with income derived from the local economy. At 34, with no Grad degree, I’m doing way better than average.

From what I can tell, you are getting E level exec comp based on my HR information. You are likely a 1%-2%er locally (maybe Levine outearns you?) even if I had a wife making what I do (combined $195k or so), we could not afford the second home overseas lifestyle claims.
Have no idea what my level of compensation or combined HH income has to do with our level of happiness found here in TN. We’re married, working and enjoying our time here doing what we have always loved doing - raising our family and being outdoors together.

None of that has changed no matter where we have lived or how much money we have or have not made. Living in AVL was our family’s exception, which was unexpected as we loved visiting the area so much, but living there was a completely different experience.

Your claims of income seem to have afforded you no happiness living in ETN except for when you’re able to escape it, even for the “amenities” of a place like AVL (which still makes me giggle BTW.)

To me, that’s more of a mindset (yours) versus a true reflection of the area, as how can two above average earners living in such close proximity to each other (in such a terrible area) have such different outlooks on it? Either way that’s ok, as we can’t stand Asheville while you find something magical with it ... and again that’s ok.

It doesn't matter though as your running in the world of being single while we’ll be closing in on 35 years together in a few short years while still in our 40’s (the upper half at that point). Maybe that’s also part of our difference in outlooks, one that no amount of money made can buy or change.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 03-02-2021 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 PM

I also think quantifying the “desirability” of one area by comparing it to another is comical. We’ve lived in a few beautiful places across the country and comparisons of “this to that” have always befuddled me (although sometimes I will end up playing game.)

Like when people compare the Florida beaches on the east coast vs west coast. They both have their desirable qualities and detractors, while beaches in places like the South Pacific and such make the beaches of Florida look like cat litter boxes.

But to a retiree from Wisconsin they’re paradise, much like those who compare AVL to whatever, wherever.

Much the same in comparing WNC to ETN, AVL to XXX or whatever to wherever else. As long as it’s making them feel good about it then go for it, as Asheville in any other region outside of Appalachia would be a significant step down, and viewed as the cat litter box of the area.

Seen enough nice mountain towns out west to know. Forget about places like Brevard or Black Mountain, which is just a gentrified “couple of blocks” extension of ultra dumpy Swannanoa. Nowhere other than WNC would it rise above the rest.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 03-02-2021 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I also think quantifying the “desirability” of one area by comparing it to another is comical. We’ve lived in a few beautiful places across the country and comparisons of “this to that” have always befuddled me (although sometimes I will end up playing game.)

Like when people compare the Florida beaches on the east coast vs west coast. They both have their desirable qualities and detractors, while beaches in places like the Philippines and such make the Florida beaches look like cat litter boxes.

Much the same with those who compare WNC to ETN, AVL to XXX or whatever to whatever else. As long as it’s making them feel good about their decision then go for it, as Asheville in any other region outside of Appalachia would be a significant step down, and viewed as the cat litter box of the west.

Seen enough nice towns to know. Forget about places like Black Mountain and such which is just a gentrified “couple of blocks” extension of ultra dumpy Swannanoa.
As I recall, many of your posts have compared WNC to east TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina