Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

One point that needs to be made is that in the deep south "bless your heart" is usually snarky or mean spirited. In the upper south or at least Appalachian south it usually means genuine sympathy. Sometimes it could mean "bless his heart, he's doing the best he can" which could imply deficiencies but in a benevolent and sympathetic way.

The tone of voice is your best clue.
It is used both ways by nearly everyone that uses the phrase, depending on the context regardless of which southern location. This is very well understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 03:05 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Hi guys, this is probably a silly question but I'm curious about it. I've always thought that the Appalachians / blue ridge area seemed really awesome and beautiful. I currently live in western ny (nothing like new York city, actually 8 hour drive from NYC) so I would definitely not consider myself an "I know better than you do" big city yankee, I'm just a regular easy going guy with a family that always enjoys going down south and I feel I probably like the southern way of doing things more.

I ended up reading a book "one second after" which focuses on Black Mountain. I was interested enough to want to learn more so I started to read up on it a little bit and it seems like an awesome little community. Then I also started looking at other similar (cheaper) towns near by and they seem just as beautiful. I'm still looking for 4 true seasons yes, I even want snow (just not the 120"+ a year like I'm used to) without the oppressive heat and humidity of the deep south/florida. Western NC seems to be exactly the climate I am looking for and at least to me as a non-area resident it seems that it has great weather, lots of outdoor activities, good culture, good people etc..

How accepting are the local towns people of outsiders moving in to their town? Are people really as friendly as it seems they are? Can new people readily integrate themselves into the community? (be welcomed for example, clubs, sports, cub scouts, church, social gatherings, neighbors etc..) or do the locals keep to themselves and the people they have known for decades. I understand this is a vague question but I am trying to learn more.

Are there any Western NC towns better or worse than others? Black mountain again seems awesome but in comparison their real estate prices are higher than other nearby towns, so I'm guessing this is paying a premium for an in demand area.

next up would be trying to find employment which will pose it's own set of challenges...

Thanks guys, any feedback or advice is appreciated.
I've read all the books by the Montreat prof. Plus several of the ones he did on Pearl Harbor alternative history/WW II / etc. All very interesting. Pass the exit for Black Mountain regularly when traveling between one house and the other. Just reading several of your posts in the Self-sufficiency thread concerning has the S possibly HTF...and the continued warnings to not "talk politics". I have not yet figured out this "white bread" (systemic grain) world where one has to cull every line one utters in order to not cross some arbitrary line. SOmeone remarked that they wish the government would give us back free speech....I had to remind them that government DOES NOT give you free speech. But then again, I suppose we are at he who has the power to forcibly do whatever probably thinks they do have that power.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:08 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It is used both ways by nearly everyone that uses the phrase, depending on the context regardless of which southern location. This is very well understood.
Bless her heart

Old 02-19-2021, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 218,581 times
In the UK it's "bless her" and its a very patronizing term. Snarky stuff destroys well intentioned older phrases sadly and is just an evolution of language sadly.

I came on here as I'm looking to move south. I'm up in Minnesota and have had a few false starts over the years if you check some of my posts on this forum. I've been looking hard at Atlanta, then Elijay, then north of there, now to the right, but gravitating to the excellent mountains one way or another, which are just lovely btw.

I interviewed in Virginia, have stayed with friends in Tennessee and can't say enough good things about the welcome we had from friendly people in both visits, which are a good decade apart.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:08 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzer View Post
In the UK it's "bless her" and its a very patronizing term. Snarky stuff destroys well intentioned older phrases sadly and is just an evolution of language sadly.

I came on here as I'm looking to move south. I'm up in Minnesota and have had a few false starts over the years if you check some of my posts on this forum. I've been looking hard at Atlanta, then Elijay, then north of there, now to the right, but gravitating to the excellent mountains one way or another, which are just lovely btw.

I interviewed in Virginia, have stayed with friends in Tennessee and can't say enough good things about the welcome we had from friendly people in both visits, which are a good decade apart.

We've lived all over the south, and now in WNC. I have to say the people here (transplants or not) are some of the friendliest we've encountered.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We've lived all over the south, and now in WNC. I have to say the people here (transplants or not) are some of the friendliest we've encountered.
I agree

Old 02-21-2021, 03:54 PM

902 posts, read 807,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzer View Post

You’ll find folks in TN and neighboring VA to be the most hospitable and salt of the earth types of people you’ll ever meet. It’s why Tennessee is such a highly desirable area for those to relocate and retire to, and is the top state in the nation to move to now, but has always ranked in the top five or so.

We’ve lived in multiple states from Colorado to Wyoming to Florida and such but came here from so-so North Carolina for the COL advantages and access to the mountains (highest peaks east of the Mississippi are just around the corner). Most of all the people here in TN have done it for us, who are all genuinely warm, nice and neighborly.

Check out Johnson City, Cookeville, Jonesborough, Knoxville, Chattanooga and areas around Nashville. You’ll be close to the GSMNP and Atlanta too in the areas further to the west of ETN with lots of great choices in-between. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2021, 11:54 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
You’ll find folks in TN and neighboring VA to be the most hospitable and salt of the earth types of people you’ll ever meet. It’s why Tennessee is such a highly desirable area for those to relocate and retire to, and is the top state in the nation to move to now, but has always ranked in the top five or so.

We’ve lived in multiple states from Colorado to Wyoming to Florida and such but came here from so-so North Carolina for the COL advantages and access to the mountains (highest peaks east of the Mississippi are just around the corner). Most of all the people here in TN have done it for us, who are all genuinely warm, nice and neighborly.

Check out Johnson City, Cookeville, Jonesborough, Knoxville, Chattanooga and areas around Nashville. You’ll be close to the GSMNP and Atlanta too in the areas further to the west of ETN with lots of great choices in-between. Good luck!
When looking for a place to retire, we covered TN , north to south and east to west. We really wanted to like it for tax purposes. To each his/her own, but NC stood out more to us. Of special note were/are the quaint small towns. The only town we found in TN that we seriously considered was Franklin, south of Nashville. We had heard so much about Tellico Village, so we visited there, but ultimately decided we wanted to be ‘in the mountains’. Not sure where this poster is getting his facts, but 2 separate sources (Forbes, 2020; Money Wise 2021) ranked NC ahead of TN in terms of where people are moving into. It should be noted that the ranking was close with NC edging out TN 3 to 5 and 6 to 7. This is somewhat surprising given the tax situation is considerably better in TN. It appears that people are willing to pay more in taxes to live in NC.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:21 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
State rankings regarding most popular moves:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tes-to-live-in

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...e-in/40544227/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendar...h=6a5d2fac3866

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/18/here...he-u-haul.html

and just for fun, the best states to raise a family by wallethub.... just move your cursor over the state to see it's ranking.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-state...a-family/31065

Old 02-25-2021, 04:04 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
When looking for a place to retire, we covered TN , north to south and east to west. We really wanted to like it for tax purposes. To each his/her own, but NC stood out more to us. Of special note were/are the quaint small towns. The only town we found in TN that we seriously considered was Franklin, south of Nashville. We had heard so much about Tellico Village, so we visited there, but ultimately decided we wanted to be ‘in the mountains’. Not sure where this poster is getting his facts, but 2 separate sources (Forbes, 2020; Money Wise 2021) ranked NC ahead of TN in terms of where people are moving into. It should be noted that the ranking was close with NC edging out TN 3 to 5 and 6 to 7. This is somewhat surprising given the tax situation is considerably better in TN. It appears that people are willing to pay more in taxes to live in NC.
I agree, the difference between NC and TN is substantial if factoring the towns themselves. The Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge area is virtually charmless and the only similar town with some kind of charm in TN were places like Elizabethton or Maryville. Knoxville has it's moments but isn't really "in the mountains". WNC is rich with options outside of Asheville like Hendersonville, Brevard, Saluda, Black Mountain, Sylva, Bryson City, Waynesville, Burnsville and Spruce Pine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina