Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:31 PM

98 posts, read 481,009 times

Advertisements

Wichita is safe for a city it's size compare to Flint and Pontiac, Michigan, Gary, Indiana or Camden, NJ. These towns make Wichita look like pleasantville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
For God's sake...LMAO @ some of the comments on here!! Hilarous! Armed gangs roaming the streets at will?? Clearly some of you people have not ever stepped foot outside of Kansas, you have such ridiculously antiquated ideas of what constitutes a "high-crime area". All I have to say to you is: step foot inside a REAL city for a day - Newark, NJ where my friend lives...south central LA...Atlanta...Detroit...hell, even Columbus, OH where I just recently came from (which is still 3x the size of this place), and you will see what constitutes a REAL danger of crime.

I've lived in Wichita now for four months. If you have a decent income and can avoid the most urban sections right around downtown, chances are you'll be just fine. Compared to other major cities places, Wichita is a cakewalk. For the most part, Wichita is just the same version of stale suburban life you can find in any American city, except with even less to do. You have your Wal-Mart...your Outback Steakhouse...cops occasionally stop you for speeding...sometimes you almost hit a deer...sometimes some kids throw eggs at a mailbox. Sure, you can always have the random run-in with some criminal, but your main concern here should be dying of boredom.

Last edited by ambient; 12-15-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 05:07 AM

10 posts, read 32,566 times
I would avoid the areas by WSU as well as planeview and hilltop. Wichita is kind of weird, the good and bad areas can be very close together. Take College Hill for example. It's a nice area but if you go further down Central near Oliver and it isn't nearly as nice. I live near Lincoln and Rock (decent area IMO) but if you go south on Lincoln you end up being surrounded by higher crime areas.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 48,476 times
Default About those bad areas...

I may be moving to Wichita soon... I saw the map, but am directionally challenged... I have looked into a few things... Where would Remingtom Park fall? Its 6801 Par Lane south of Central on Risge Road.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 AM

217 posts, read 513,209 times
I have been to Rio De Janeiro and that city makes Wichita look like Mayberry in comparison when it comes to violent crimes.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
For God's sake...LMAO @ some of the comments on here!! Hilarous! Armed gangs roaming the streets at will?? Clearly some of you people have not ever stepped foot outside of Kansas, you have such ridiculously antiquated ideas of what constitutes a "high-crime area". All I have to say to you is: step foot inside a REAL city for a day - Newark, NJ where my friend lives...south central LA...Atlanta...Detroit...hell, even Columbus, OH where I just recently came from (which is still 3x the size of this place), and you will see what constitutes a REAL danger of crime.

I've lived in Wichita now for four months. If you have a decent income and can avoid the most urban sections right around downtown, chances are you'll be just fine. Compared to other major cities places, Wichita is a cakewalk. For the most part, Wichita is just the same version of stale suburban life you can find in any American city, except with even less to do. You have your Wal-Mart...your Outback Steakhouse...cops occasionally stop you for speeding...sometimes you almost hit a deer...sometimes some kids throw eggs at a mailbox. Sure, you can always have the random run-in with some criminal, but your main concern here should be dying of boredom.

I never knew wichita had a "ghetto", it probably doesn't. It just has areas that are not as nice as the newer areas.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

I never knew wichita had a "ghetto", it probably doesn't. It just has areas that are not as nice as the newer areas.
We have several "Ghettos" anyone living in Wichita can tell u that.
Planeview,Hilltop,Area around WSU,Areas near Downtown.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
I have been to Rio De Janeiro and that city makes Wichita look like Mayberry in comparison when it comes to violent crimes.
No kidding? Rio De Janeiro, a city of 11 million people, has more violent crimes than Wichita? No.... I would have NEVER guessed!

/sarcasm

Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
For God's sake...LMAO @ some of the comments on here!! Hilarous! Armed gangs roaming the streets at will?? Clearly some of you people have not ever stepped foot outside of Kansas, ....

Sure, you can always have the random run-in with some criminal, but your main concern here should be dying of boredom.
This is the single most hilarious post I have read in a very long time, and yet so completely and utterly TRUE!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 AM

217 posts, read 513,209 times
Quote:
No kidding? Rio De Janeiro, a city of 11 million people, has more violent crimes than Wichita? No.... I would have NEVER guessed!

/sarcasm
Even if Rio De Janeiro had a population equal in size to that of Wichita, Rio would still be considered a significantly more violent city because it has a per capita murder rate of 37.7 homicides per 100,000 people.
Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compare that to Wichita which only had 10.9 homicides per 100,000 people.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Wichita-Kansas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita