Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 AM

142 posts, read 205,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaries View Post
I've lived in several large cities and Wichita is pretty mixed up as far as being able to distinguish the bad neighborhoods from the better ones. In most large cities (even small ones) there is a sort of invisible boundary line, separating the seedy neighborhoods from the safer ones, but in Wichita, it is speckled throughout, especially in the Southeast side. I'm always hearing advertisements for property, "in Wichita's prestigious, sought-after east side". WHATEVER. I live on the S.E. side and it's a DUMP. In my opinion, which might not hold water, Wichita has a LOT of crime, whether violent or property, and I don't feel safe anywhere in this town. People here are brazen and will attempt to steal cars in broad daylight, and if you witness it, you either keep your mouth shut or risk getting hurt by attempting to thwart it. I know it could be a lot worse, but for someone who isn't accustomed to such balls, it's pretty unnerving.

There ARE a lot of friendly, helpful people - friendlier than from where I came, but no one was ever harmed by unfriendliness; it doesn't cancel out the fear I feel living here. As soon as my temporary work stint is done here, I'm outta here!!!

This was all true more than twenty years ago (when I lived there). Sad to hear it all remains the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 18,775 times
I've lived in Wichita since i was 4. My family moved here in '84. Personally there isn't a single area of town I'm scarred to drive through at any time of day or night. Most of the "bad areas" is more urban myth than crime. Yes these areas (Plainview, WSU area, Oaklawn, etc.) have crime, maybe a little more than other areas, but I feel safe everywhere in Wichita at any given time. 3am or 3pm. And yes I've driven all over wichita in the middle of the night.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 168,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrusty View Post
I've lived in Wichita since i was 4. My family moved here in '84. Personally there isn't a single area of town I'm scarred to drive through at any time of day or night. Most of the "bad areas" is more urban myth than crime. Yes these areas (Plainview, WSU area, Oaklawn, etc.) have crime, maybe a little more than other areas, but I feel safe everywhere in Wichita at any given time. 3am or 3pm. And yes I've driven all over wichita in the middle of the night.
Drive around 9th and Grove at 1 or 2 in the morning......

Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 18,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassucks! View Post
Drive around 9th and Grove at 1 or 2 in the morning......
LOL.....I have and still don bother me. Sorry but Wichita doesn't have a true "ghetto"

Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,159 times
I'd like to think the joint hasn't changed too much in the last few years. I've been living "Beast Coast" for the last five and I'm excited to move back to Wichita and start a family. I was comfortable in just about any part of that town. Common sense tells you not to mess around up by W State late night, but at the same time, I went to high school at Northeast Magnet, and did some college at WSU. I never once got shot and murdered. Did the COPS chase a guy through our school with the ghetto bird? Yeah! However, it's still not enough to disuade me from heading back home.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,455 times
the crime in wichita is MUCH lower than than alot of cities of the same size! there is not any part of town i am scared of! if you got to 9th and grove and dont act like a retard nobody will bother you! in fact there used to be a little burger joint right there that was a moble home ( i beleive) that had the BEST burgers!!!!!

a town that is much worse than wichita that is the same size is omaha,ne!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedfreak View Post
a town that is much worse than wichita that is the same size is omaha,ne!!!!!!
Sure about that? Wichita's 2008 City-data Crime Index is 519.9 while Omaha's is 404.3.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
They have ghettos in Wichita? The heartland of America? So much for the "Wichita Lineman" stereotypes...
The Upper Midwest smaller metros tend to have much more diversified and growing economies compared to Wichita.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM

110 posts, read 270,820 times
For all you retards who say Kansas is boring, obviously you don't get out of the house much. I live in Garden City, in pretty much the middle of nowhere, and I'm fine with it. And you are complaining about living in Wichita? And on the lines of crime, Kansas isn't as sweet and pretty as everybody thinks. Here in Garden City, even though we have a pretty low crime rate, the gangs are a big problem (most of them being Hispanic). We have an estimated 10 gangs. That's alot for a small city. Wichita has an estimated 80 gangs, if I remember correctly. I think most of the people on here just don't want Wichita to have a reputation somewhat like that of L.A. or Miami's. I'm not saying it's Detroit or anything, it's just that we DO have crime problems in this state.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,801 times
anywhere u move in america u can be robbed anywhere so u can move to places tht r slightly beter than others but everywhere is a risk for the lady who thinks 119th and maize road right down the road at the preppy little new market not five months ago a store was broken into and money was stolen outta a safe not two weeks after tht the qt at maize and kellogg a car was being filled up at the pumps the lady went into pay and wow she comes back car is gone east side happen all the time too so no north south east or west is not fool proof but there r some places better than others and the only reason the small towns dnt have the crime rate tht wichita does is becuz they all come to wichita to do the crimes so its normally ur next door neighbor who is a criminal dnt think to highly of urself all u suburb town people so in my eyes wichita is not a bad place to live cuz its like anywhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita