Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,206,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am getting sick of everything framed in the face of race and I just don't care anymore.

You want the truth? Very few can handle the truth but here it is.

Maybe it is because there are so few qualified applicants?

The Bell Curve - Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life
That's an interesting publishing (from 1994). Do you know of anything more recent supporting this that there aren't enough intelligent black people to benefit effectively from affirmative action??

Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,963,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's an interesting publishing (from 1994). Do you know of anything more recent supporting this that there aren't enough intelligent black people to benefit effectively from affirmative action??
Cut it any way you want but the truth is there,
From 2005 Race differences in average IQ are largely genetic

Quote:
The paper, "Thirty Years of Research on Race Differences in Cognitive Ability," by J. Philippe Rushton of the University of Western Ontario and Arthur R. Jensen of the University of California at Berkeley, appeared with a positive commentary by Linda Gottfredson of the University of Delaware, three critical ones (by Robert Sternberg of Yale University, Richard Nisbett of the University of Michigan, and Lisa Suzuki & Joshua Aronson of New York University), and the authors' reply.

"Neither the existence nor the size of race differences in IQ are a matter of dispute, only their cause," write the authors. The Black-White difference has been found consistently from the time of the massive World War I Army testing of 90 years ago to a massive study of over 6 million corporate, military, and higher-education test-takers in 2001.
The Widening Racial Scoring Gap on the SAT College Admissions Test

Science: The looming crisis in human genetics | The Economist

Quote:
Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending argued in “The 10,000 Year Explosion” that some human groups experienced a vastly accelerated rate of evolutionary change within the past few thousand years, benefiting from the new genetic diversity created within far larger populations, and in response to the new survival, social and reproductive challenges of agriculture, cities, divisions of labour and social classes. Others did not experience these changes until the past few hundred years when they were subject to contact, colonisation and, all too often, extermination.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,527,551 times
Yes, the Bell Curve tells it all.

Time has passed, and people see what really matters.

The race card doesn't work anymore.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Interesting stuff. Thanks! I don't consider the SAT scores article on the same topic... but the others are good.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,405,262 times
I didn't know that we had a problem. I understand that things are bad out there but they are bad for everyone. Of those small business's out there that have not hired an African American during the recession have they hired anyone else? What is the solution to this lack of hiring African Americans? Is it being suggested that jobs should be created out of thin air and given to African American men? Should the business owners fire qualified people that have the jobs and offer those jobs to someone else that also may be qualified? What is the OP's suggestion?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 AM

880 posts, read 1,803,380 times
As I mentioned on a thread in another forum, the reason why some companies are now hesitant to hire blacks is because they know that they run the risk of facing a discrimination lawsuit if the have to fire that black employee even though no discrimination took place.

In other words companies are tired of settling $ every time a black employee claims racism.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-27-years.html

Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 AM

29,869 posts, read 25,002,140 times
Well certainly this topic is going off into the deep end so... Back to the OP's original question... I would like to assure you small businesses do in fact hire qualified AAs. However, race cards are not accepted at interviews. Solid skill sets, education and a good work history are the order of the day, and always have been. Even with those important qualities, many, MANY good people are having to settle for part time work, or no work at all. It is not an issue of racism, it is an issue of there are not enough crumbs to go around these days.

Now, as mentioned, skills are important. I will give you an example that, on the surface, suggests that my former employer does not hire (many) AA workers. Working in Detroit, a 90% black city, about 35% of my coworkers were black. Was it because my boss was racist? From all accounts, he was a well liked and fair guy. But think about this... Only 25% of the DPS students actually graduate highschool. Well, our company required at least a highschool diploma or G.E.D. I can't work with someone who has not at least demonstrated proficiency in high school math, and if they drop out of high school, whose to say they're going to bother showing up for work on time every day? So, was my boss discriminating by not hiring AA high school dropouts? A person proficient in basic high school math would suggest not...

Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,427,703 times
1) There are less African American males with higher education, or even basic education. Verification: 47 % of African American males graduate from high school.

If a company wanted to hire only people with high school degrees, there are less African American males to choose from, than the rest of the popluation.

There are other reasons, but those would start a racist dialogue, rather than answer the question.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,925,695 times
It all comes down to biasness. Sadly, the AA youth is associated or heavily influenced by the hip hop,rap,ghetto,thug culture. And this culture is not associated with good things. Pants sagging, gangs, broken english, crime, etc.

From the NYT article, "those interviewed told subtler stories, referring to surprised looks and offhand comments, interviews that fell apart almost as soon as they began, and the sudden loss of interest from companies after meetings."

The above confirms that fact the biasness is a heavy component during interviews. An interview will not give you the job due to your race, gender, age, sexual preference, religion, appearance, etc. This happens to all.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
It all comes down to biasness. Sadly, the AA youth is associated or heavily influenced by the hip hop,rap,ghetto,thug culture. And this culture is not associated with good things. Pants sagging, gangs, broken english, crime, etc.

From the NYT article, "those interviewed told subtler stories, referring to surprised looks and offhand comments, interviews that fell apart almost as soon as they began, and the sudden loss of interest from companies after meetings."

The above confirms that fact the biasness is a heavy component during interviews. An interview will not give you the job due to your race, gender, age, sexual preference, religion, appearance, etc. This happens to all.
Which NYT article? It's already been shown in this thread that it is not "biasness", but because there are not enough adequate AAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment