Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,924,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Which NYT article? It's already been shown in this thread that it is not "biasness", but because there are not enough adequate AAs.
In Job Hunt, College Degree Can’t Close Racial Gap - NYTimes.com

Biasness is still a factor in an interview since the interviewer is a human. There is a lot of negative stereotypes about AA due to hip hop,rap,ghetto/thug culture. Educated AA are still subject to this negative stereotype.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post

Biasness is still a factor in an interview since the interviewer is a human. There is a lot of negative stereotypes about AA due to hip hop,rap,ghetto/thug culture. Educated AA are still subject to this negative stereotype.
There's a lot of stereotypes about folks from NJ too (we're rude, dirty, live on the shore, etc), but I don't pull out the bias card. "biasness" exists for everyone, not just for AA.

That article does show that AAs get less ROI from college degrees.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,717,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero977 View Post
What is it with you white people always deflecting the question.
It's interesting that you assume everyone responding to you is white. 'You white people?' Not going to get too much constructive feedback with that one. And, before you classify me.........I'm Black.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:57 AM

8,099 posts, read 12,827,996 times
I see three factors influencing the overall high unemployment rate for Black men.

1) Education- Only 53% of black graduate high school while in comparison 73% of whites do. Not having a basic education is going to influence employment opportunities.

2) The loss of our manufacturing base has had a disproportionate impact on urban areas and in particular, in jobs that might have been attainable without completing high school.

3) Higher rates of criminal records according to the FBI uniform crime statistics. Having a criminal record is a detriment to gainful employment any way you look at it.

Just the educational attainment issue alone would explain the elevated rate of unemployment. If I were hiring for ANY job it would be important that my employee had a basic education. With so many people out of work WITH a high school diploma, why would I hire someone without one?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,956,046 times
Quote:
Which NYT article? It's already been shown in this thread that it is not "biasness", but because there are not enough adequate AAs.
It isn't about bias or even race. It is all about the politics of race.

The Politics of Mental Retardation: A Tale of the Bell Curve

Quote:
The life of a diversicrat is disagreeable. He is surrounded by irritants. Of them, he finds none more unsettling than race, particularly racial differences....
What can be done to fix it? Sorry, can not be fixed. It is what it is.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,924,280 times
Quote:

The above confirms that fact the biasness is a heavy component during interviews. An interview will not give you the job due to your race, gender, age, sexual preference, religion, appearance, etc. This happens to all.
Quote:
There's a lot of stereotypes about folks from NJ too (we're rude, dirty, live on the shore, etc), but I don't pull out the bias card. "biasness" exists for everyone, not just for AA.

That article does show that AAs get less ROI from college degrees.
I also said that biasness during an interview happens to everyone not just AA.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
I should think anyone who repeatedly uses the word "biasness" ought to consider themselves blessed to have meaningful employment.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,680,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I should think anyone who repeatedly uses the word "biasness" ought to consider themselves blessed to have meaningful employment.
Agreed!!

In other news, the "pulling out the race card" will stop once racism, prejudice, discrimination, pseudoscience, stereotypes, and assumptions stop.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero977 View Post
Seriously, I understand this economy is tough for everyone, but it is especially rough for black men of all ages. I know most of you will give excuse after excuse, or say that they do hire minorities. With a rate of close to 20% usemployment, I would like some answers from because this is unacceptable. We can not have most black men relying on major private sector companies for employment. It does begin at the bottombwith small business's so all of you white small business owners be honest why would you not hire a qualified black man to do the job.
The small businesses I know best mostly are family owned and operated. Presumably, if Hypothetical Black Guy marries the owner's daughter, he'll get hired.

It also depends on the field. For example, say you own an architecture firm in Oregon, and want to hire from in state. Every architect in the state applies. There are exactly three black architects to choose from, and over 1500 white/Hispanic/other ones. Odds are that the best candidate will be non-AA. Even in Georgia, the state with the highest percentage of black architects, they are only 4.8% of the total. If you limit it to black men, it decreases to probably less than three percent.

Given identically qualified applicants, it comes down to intangibles (though rarely will you get identically qualified applicants). It may be racial bias (or bias against fat people, or short people, or women, or the deaf), but it may be something else entirely. One candidate's going for extra certifications. Another has a history of working for less than the other two guys, and you think you can get him cheaper. A third is just a really nice guy and you think he'd fit well in your studio. You hire whichever of those is a bigger deal for you. Maybe the winning candidate graduated from the same architecture school as the business owner.

Last edited by Aconite; 09-05-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,701 times
Quote:

I don't know what color your skin is, but lack of basic facility with standard English would lose you a lot of points: "Biasness" (should be "bias") and "there is" instead of "there are".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.